PDA

View Full Version : Food Cost

Penn
05-29-2008, 09:11
I just received my fish delivery, Alaskan Wild Salmon@ $16.50 per/lb. wholesale, that’s double the cost I usually pay. Considering the cost of fuel and factoring supply demands, I did not see this as a seasonal uptick in price. So I reviewed all my invoices over the past month and have found that prices have increased across the board by 23%. With some items, such as flour, milk: 100%. Prime Beef 32%.
If I am experiencing that at the wholesale level with before tax dollars, what are families doing when they have to purchase gas/food at retail with after tax dollars? We have been blessed for generations with low food costs in this country. I think that will now be a memory and it will have a great social impact on the way in which we have been accustom to living here in America.
An interesting example, for me at least, is Skate Wing, wonderful to eat, but a bear to clean and prepare properly, because of that it has always been considered a junk fish and priced accordingly; $1-1.50 per/lb. No more, $ 4.50 and going up!!!
When my brother was in the Peace Corp he established a co-op for a group of farmers. Their product; Hogs. In order for them to garner the best price they had to market as a group, if they sold individually they always received less. As a group, with pooled resources they had some control over their small market share and fared better. I tell that story because it appears to me that it may be an alternative for families to increase their purchasing power; by pooling and finding wholesale distributors who cater the restaurant industry. Costco is not wholesale

Shar
05-29-2008, 16:47
It was actually last week at the commissary. I go about every 3 weeks to the commissary and do a pretty comprehensive list of goods. I get fresh stuff closer to home and I have milk delivered. I don't track exactly what I spend each time I go, but normally I can get out of there for around $300. I'm also a coupon-aholic and if I don't save around $20.00 in coupons I consider myself a failure. However, this last trip I didn't buy anything out of the ordinary and I was shocked to see my bill came in at $375.00 - that's after the close to $30.00 in coupons.

So yeah... I just noticed it. First time I've noticed it in the food department. But I suspect it's been creeping up all along like you said, I just hadn't paid enough attention. I'm pretty sure that I will be using more food out of my food storage now.

Gypsy
05-29-2008, 18:42
I have noticed a significant increase in the cost of fresh veggies, meats etc. I watch sales religiously and use coupons, shop at Aldi's for all staples and even some frozen meats, fish, fruits and veggies.

It's not cheap to eat healthy...never has been but with the costs going up it will be difficult to keep to the same budget.

Roguish Lawyer
05-29-2008, 19:06
This trend has been reported extensively in the press, or at least in publications like the Wall Street Journal.

Sdiver
05-29-2008, 20:15
Sooooooo....Chef Penn........there was a reason WHY you posted that thread about Spam......

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18427

I can see it now, Your new menu items......Alaskan Spamon........Spamkin a'la King........Spam under glass......Spam ribs......Spam loaf Monday's......

Hummmmmmmmm............:D

nmap
05-29-2008, 20:38
I tell that story because it appears to me that it may be an alternative for families to increase their purchasing power; by pooling and finding wholesale distributors who cater the restaurant industry. Costco is not wholesale

Chef Penn, I spotted some Sysco products I wanted to buy; I was even willing to purchase them in standard restaurant size quantities. (There is a question about my wisdom in wanting to do so....) But Sysco was completely unwilling to sell to me.

How would an individual or small group do something like this? Are some of the other wholesalers more open to such ideas?

Penn
05-30-2008, 20:39
nmap, you form a co-op, or an LLC and create a single holding acct that members contribute to. Additionally, you create an operating acct that handles payables. This streamlines your reconcilation for accounting purposes. once the business is formed, Sysco or any wholesaler will/should then deliver to any business enity regarless of address; even if its a garage.

Penn
05-30-2008, 20:43
RL, your right it has, but no one is addressing a solution at a grassroot level.
And my point was not to cover "old news", but to offer a possible alterative that we wholesale buyers have and that consumers do not.