PDA

View Full Version : Ben's Wish

Roguish Lawyer
05-27-2008, 17:38
My son Ben qualified for a wish from the Make-a-Wish foundation. He really digs Survivorman, and asked to go camping with him so he could learn about survival. He keeps asking me if we can go in the woods for a week with just a knife -- LOL.

Anyway, Survivorman turned us down, so it looks like we'll be going on a fishing trip instead. :mad:

Go Devil
05-27-2008, 17:55
Are there any others here that are available? Someone who could assist outside the frame of the foundation?
Does it need to be "Survivorman" or is it the shared experience with dad he is wishing for?
I am willing to step up, but is there anyone closer to the West coast.

GD

Paste Eater
05-27-2008, 18:33
Glad to hear he qualified. A guy I work with had a sister who qualified for the wish a while back. They do a great job and go to pretty great lengths from what he mentioned.

Goodluck though, wish him well!

SF_BHT
05-27-2008, 19:01
My Nephew qualified and went to Canada to film wild wolfs. It was amazing and he was published in National Geographic.

I hope you can find a trip that fits into what he wants. Have you looked into the Primitive side like the American Mountain Men? They have Rendezvous at different times of the year and all over the US and Canada. The National Rendezvous. The American Mountain Men are great people and when you get over the smell they can teach you a lot.

Also the NMLRA is a great place to start looking into things. If your son is really into Primitive camping the Old Fashion way this is where to go. I started Black Power shooting at 12 and buck-skinning at 15 and have learned a lot that helped me in Scouts and my military career. It has contributed to my field skills and got me through a lot of training and Opns. Survival in the Q was a breeze because I had already learned those skills years before.

Good luck finding the trip that fits what your son desires.
Yes Old fashioned Kentucky Bourbon in an old Jug fits in on a Rendezvous.
Bryan

echoes
05-27-2008, 19:07
My son Ben qualified for a wish from the Make-a-Wish foundation. He really digs Survivorman, and asked to go camping with him so he could learn about survival. He keeps asking me if we can go in the woods for a week with just a knife -- LOL.

Anyway, Survivorman turned us down, so it looks like we'll be going on a fishing trip instead. :mad:

PM Inbound RL.

Gypsy
05-27-2008, 20:06

That really sucks. Maybe he should go camping with a REAL surviorman...one of our own QPs... ;)

jatx
05-27-2008, 22:43
Have you looked into the Primitive side like the American Mountain Men? They have Rendezvous at different times of the year and all over the US and Canada. The National Rendezvous. The American Mountain Men are great people and when you get over the smell they can teach you a lot.

I don't usually like to make "+1" type posts, but I have to offer a STRONG second to this. He would have the time of his life.

mdb23
05-28-2008, 00:17
My Nephew qualified and went to Canada to film wild wolfs. It was amazing and he was published in National Geographic.

I hope you can find a trip that fits into what he wants. Have you looked into the Primitive side like the American Mountain Men? They have Rendezvous at different times of the year and all over the US and Canada. The National Rendezvous. The American Mountain Men are great people and when you get over the smell they can teach you a lot.

Also the NMLRA is a great place to start looking into things. If your son is really into Primitive camping the Old Fashion way this is where to go. I started Black Power shooting at 12 and buck-skinning at 15 and have learned a lot that helped me in Scouts and my military career. It has contributed to my field skills and got me through a lot of training and Opns. Survival in the Q was a breeze because I had already learned those skills years before.

Good luck finding the trip that fits what your son desires.
Yes Old fashioned Kentucky Bourbon in an old Jug fits in on a Rendezvous.
Bryan

My dad was heavily involved in these activities.... he was a member of the "Fort Hill Ramrod" Chapter of one of the mountain men organizations. He made all of his own clothing, using antlers and sinew as buttons and thread..... he tanned hides, you name it, he did it....

I thought it was amazing. I went to many of the roundezvous with him, and was amazed at how much time and dedication went into all of the outifts.... nothing "modern" was allowed.

Sleeping in a teepee, watching the muzzleloader competitions, tomahawk and knife throwing contests, and eating all of the foods from the period was awesome. Seeing how soap was made, life was lived, etc., it was amazing to my 10 year old brain. Next best thing to a time machine.

SF_BHT
05-28-2008, 06:48
Double Post...appologies!

Another Blonde Moment I see!!!!!:D

Roguish Lawyer
05-28-2008, 08:39
Wow, I have been FLOODED with PMs from people offering Ben some survival camping. Thanks to all of you -- this is an incredible community.

Ben respectfully has declined all of these generous offers. I guess he was just into the TV Survivorman, not the real thing. LOL

We're going camping in a couple of weeks, but I'll be bringing a lot more than a knife. Believe me, I need the gear. ;)

adal
05-28-2008, 14:23
RL,
All the best. Whatever you need. adal