PDA

View Full Version : 18X Contract age range

Scimitar
05-17-2008, 23:24
Hello Gentlemen,

18X contract qualification age range = 20-30
I know the reasoning behind the 20 year old limit; maturity etc.
Any thoughts on the reasoning behind the 30 limit.
I understand that the average age of a QP was 29 prior to the 18X contract inception (which has no doubt brought that average down a bit)
And ARNG Rep 63 (or whatever its called now) has no particular policy on age limit (with in reason of course).

What’s the thinking behind this, purely arbitrary?

Scimitar

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-18-2008, 05:10
Scimitar

Yep: Physiology, long term commitment potential, return on investment to mention a few.

The Reaper
05-18-2008, 08:25
Hello Gentlemen,

18X contract qualification age range = 20-30
I know the reasoning behind the 20 year old limit; maturity etc.
I understand that the average age of a QP was 29 prior to the 18X contract inception (which has no doubt brought that average down a bit)
And ARNG Rep 63 (or whatever its called now) has no particular policy on age limit (with in reason of course).

What’s the thinking behind this, purely arbitrary?

Scimitar

First, this has been debated ad nasuem here over the years by people who were asking if they were too old for SF training or were being told that.

The short version is that SF training is a relatively young man's game, as is running the hills of the Hindu Kush. To take a 30 year-old plus 18X candidate means that he is going to be at least 31 or 32 before he gets to an ODA (as an inexperienced junior member) and will be well over 50 before he is eligible for retirement. While there are some 50 year olds who can do the job, the vast majority cannot, and will put the rest of the team at risk trying to take care of "Pops". For those who can still perform, due to age, accumulated injuries and deterioration, etc., few are performing like they were at age 25. Even at mid-career, the older candidate is going to be in his early to mid- 40s, which is not a peak performance age for athletes. Do you see a lot of 30 plus year olds entering the NBA, NFL, or MLB as rookies each year?

People make decisions. Those decisions have consequences. Among them is deciding too late that you really wanted to be SF.

HTH.

TR

kgoerz
05-18-2008, 08:51
I was in the Q-Course as an 18 year old private. One of the things I remember clearly were the older privates. We had a couple of ex Lawyers and one emergency room Doctor. Their maturity helped us younger guys a whole lot. These guys basically left everything behind to join up. Reminded me of the foreign legion where you are given a whole new identity:D

Scimitar
05-18-2008, 09:51
Thank you Gentlemen,

My apologies on the weak search-fu.

I am being contacted by a number of 31+ year old guys, they ask why the age limit and not being a QP myself I always try to give the party line and not my own opinion.

Thanks for the answers

Regards

Scimitar

The Reaper
05-18-2008, 11:00
Thank you Gentlemen,

My apologies on the weak search-fu.

I am being contacted by a number of 31+ year old guys, they ask why the age limit and not being a QP myself I always try to give the party line and not my own opinion.

Thanks for the answers

Regards

Scimitar

Tell them if they are that confident that they can make it, and SF is what they really want, enlist for whatever MOS they can get and request SFAS after they are eligible.

No problem for a 31 year old, and if they failed as an 18X, they would be an 11B10P for six years anyway.

TR

Scimitar
05-18-2008, 17:11
Roger that TR.

S

STVIMF
03-11-2010, 12:27
People make decisions. Those decisions have consequences. Among them is deciding too late that you really wanted to be SF.

The Reaper is right on.

This is a young man's game. It is possible to get selected during AIT with an age waiver. However, there are no guarantees. An older 11b, 11x, or other, would have to be at the top of his training class. Even then, if you drop or get dropped, you are right back where you started. You have to make the decision that you are willing to try no matter what happens.

Scimitar
03-11-2010, 16:50
Holly necropost batman...

Dozer523
03-11-2010, 20:35

Dozer523
03-11-2010, 20:37

The Reaper is right on.

This is a young man's game. It is possible to get selected during AIT with an age waiver. However, there are no guarantees. An older 11b, 11x, or other, would have to be at the top of his training class. Even then, if you drop or get dropped, you are right back where you started. You have to make the decision that you are willing to try no matter what happens. that's got to be a comfort in the old age.