PDA

View Full Version : PS.com Motorcycle thread

Sdiver
05-17-2008, 19:37
....or how else you're saving on gas.....the Cooooool way. :cool:

Seeing as how we have a Knife thread, a Gun thread and the Gourmet Guerilla threads, the next thing on any young man's (and woman's) plate would be motorcycle's.

So, what ya got?

I just got (Wed) a 2003 Anniversary edition, Dyna Low Rider.

It belonged to my Medic, and I just had to have it. Went up to the Harley dealership here in town (Freedom Harley) and put the papers in and rode out with that afternoon.

Pics soon to follow.

Ambush Master
05-17-2008, 19:46
Just bought today, a 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black!!

Sdiver
05-17-2008, 20:12

NICE !!!!!

As with me Martin, you're going to have to post up some pics. :D

jwt5
05-17-2008, 21:08
I HAD a 2006 Yamaha R1.... but it was stolen about a week ago... :(

adal
05-17-2008, 21:43
95 Triumph Tiger "Steamer" Daily ride.

azmg
05-17-2008, 22:02
07 BMW Adventure
05 MV Augusta Tamburini
95 Ducati 916

and the WAlZ

desertmedic
05-17-2008, 22:18
2006 custom build, that I have put way too much money into.

Desertmedic

Aequitas
05-18-2008, 00:05
I have a 2003 HD Springer softail...

SYRUS_086
05-18-2008, 02:13
Those are beautiful bikes! I am jealous!

2004 Honda VTX 1300c

Snaquebite
05-18-2008, 08:51
Shopping for a HD Ultra Classic....

Mike
05-18-2008, 12:33
Been riding since '67.

Just got back from Illinois to New Orleans.

Started out with a 305 scrambler from Meridian, went to '68 Bonneville.

Been on HDs since.

I rode the same '65 Pan for 35 years and traded it for a '03 Road Glide when I retired in 06.

Got another '65 and a '48 to restore.

sfrecrutr
05-18-2008, 20:07
60 Panhead Rigid Fram, foot clutch with jockey shift.

92 Electra glide when the back is to sore to ride the rigid!!

ABN_FO
05-18-2008, 20:07
I have an 06 HD Night Train..

-Black
-Stage one Air (K&N)
-Hooker Darkside pipes
-Rear end dropped 2"
-Front lower forks powder coated

DJ.
05-18-2008, 23:42
04 Springer.

HOLLiS
05-19-2008, 09:50
My last scooter.
The kids really loved the side hack.

Sdiver
05-19-2008, 09:56
My last scooter.
The kids really loved the side hack.

So.....did you put on the Cape and Cowell before going ridding? :D

swpa19
05-19-2008, 16:52
Dont own a bike. I just paint em. First one is one that I did for a young lady. Everything on the tank is airbrushed, including the stylized HD logo. The 2d one is part of a three tin set. The base is PPG's Black Metalflake, the "True Fire" effect is House of Color Candy. By rights the 2d one should be "Purple".

29Tudor
05-20-2008, 05:13
2005 Honda Shadow 1100c - Hard Krome Shorty Pipes, Corbin Seat, JET kit, K&N filter, drag bars, etc. Will post a picture after work.

SOGvet
05-20-2008, 19:53
Hi, my name is SOGvet, and I'm a motorcycle-aholic.. Hey, I don't fish, and I don't play golf.. I just do bikes...

In no particular order.. (I couldn't post pix of 'em all - TS will only let me post five)

'02 Firefighter Road King (tweaked just a bit)
'07 BMW R1200R
'77 BMW R100/7
'71 Norton Commando
'69 Triumph T120R Bonneville (less than 300 miles on a total nut & bolt, crankshaft out restoration)
'01 Triumph Bonneville Street Tracker
'03 Triumph Centennial Edition T100 Bonneville
off to Chicago this weekend to pick up #8 - '93 HD FXLR Low Rider Custom w/1800 miles on the odo

SOGvet
05-20-2008, 19:59
WTF.. here's the other two..

The orange & silver bike is my '03 Centennial Edition Bonnie; the black bike is a '01 Triumph Bonneville Street Tracker that I built - the same bike that nearly sent me to meet my maker. The bridge railing in the photo is what I whacked with the back of my noggin at 45+mph two years ago. If I hadn't been wearing good gear, I wouldnt' be typing this now.

No Safety Nazi speeches from me, but you'll never see me with a beanie on my head ever again. I was lucky, and I know it..

Pix of the FXLR to follow when I go get it..

Ride safe!.. and often!..

The Reaper
05-20-2008, 20:16
That is no BS, gents.

CC really does have seven, almost EIGHT beautiful bikes parked in his one-car garage.

I would imagine the NCDMV knows him well, and corresponds with him regularly.

TR

Ambush Master
05-21-2008, 21:33
The Bonnie is in the bed of my truck!!! I picked it up this afternoon and will be unloading it tomorrow evening, after I pick up my buddie's ramp!!

Chris,

You are right, it does not sound like my '71 Bonnie!!! It is so smooth running, I can't believe that it is a Triumph!!! Also, you are absolutely on target about the price!!!! It was $8400 out the door, TT&L included!!!

Pics to follow!!!:D

Thank GOD for this LONG WEEKEND!!!:D

Later
Martin

SOGvet
05-22-2008, 12:09
Congrats, Martin.. Watch out for those nugs in cages.. it's open season or riders.

Mike
05-22-2008, 12:39
When Meridian Motorcycles was still in downtown Fayetteville they bought bikes by the boatload and had pretty good prices.
I got a '67 305 scrambler and beat it to death on the fire trails and trips to combat alley.

They also sold Trumpets, Beezers, and Nortons. Those were all some beautiful bikes.
I bought a '68 Bonneville for $1100, still got it.

Funny thing was the ramp down the side of the store to the street.
Many a would be biker got his cherry popped in that ramp.
"You sure you know how to ride this thing kid?"

"Yeah, yeah, sure....." ZOOM!

There were some funny dents on the store across the street.

Constant
05-22-2008, 13:02
I own a 1987 Honda Magna V45 (700CC), bought it from an older guy who had some operations done and couldn't ride anymore. Only 11000 miles on it when I bought it and as of yesterday it had 22000 miles on it.

V4 goodness!:lifter

Ambush Master
05-24-2008, 13:49
Well, I took it out today for an hour ride.............that was 4 hours ago!!!:D

I rode it around locally for about an hour, then I went to the Dealership in Ft Worth back to Grapevine & then home. 75 miles on it so far. At 60 mph, the only vibration you feel is your pants legs flapping!!!

MANY MANY THANKS Chris, you were SPOT ON!!!

tink's shadow
05-25-2008, 06:28
I own a 2002 honda shadow 750.

11Ber
05-25-2008, 06:37
I feel embarrassed with all these classic cruisers but.... I ride a 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 750, original owner, knock on wood..never been down..yet. I mean the bike not me.

The Reaper
05-25-2008, 08:53
2001 FLHR, with some minor engine mods.

TR

lksteve
05-25-2008, 09:05
2008 Street Glide...no engine mods, yet...

Hey, TR...who picks up your pine cones...?

longrange1947
05-25-2008, 20:21
TR - Where did you get the 7th Group cover?

I'll post pics of my 2008 Ultra Classic Glide as soon as I can get the sucker down here from MN. :(

I only have a pic from the show room floor right now.

The Reaper
05-25-2008, 20:31
Hey, TR...who picks up your pine cones...?

My slave labor detail.

TR - Where did you get the 7th Group cover?

From a buddy with a CNC shop. He made it off of a Group coin.

I also have a points cover with the SF DUI from M&M Leather.

We need to do lunch and talk parts.

TR

longrange1947
05-25-2008, 20:50
Give me a heads up TR, we just started a new class and that puts me in a time crunch for a bit. Will let you know when the beast comes in.

Took momma down to the H-D shop to see what she would be riding on the back of Friday. She was suitably impressed. :D

kachingchingpow
05-27-2008, 13:56
Been running around on this for the last 1000 miles or so. Gas on my Z-71 is ridiculous.

- 08 Harley Nightster, vivid black
- Vance & Hines short shots, black
- Cycle Visions Mo-Flow intake
- S.E. Race Tuner

Sdiver
10-28-2008, 15:03
....or how else you're saving on gas.....the Cooooool way. :cool:

Seeing as how we have a Knife thread, a Gun thread and the Gourmet Guerilla threads, the next thing on any young man's (and woman's) plate would be motorcycle's.

So, what ya got?

I just got (Wed) a 2003 Anniversary edition, Dyna Low Rider.

It belonged to my Medic, and I just had to have it. Went up to the Harley dealership here in town (Freedom Harley) and put the papers in and rode out with that afternoon.

Pics soon to follow.

Pics soon to follow. :rolleyes:

Well, it took some time, but here they are.

Have some nice riding weather here right now, nice Indian summer, temps in the mid 70's. Will be like this all week and into the weekend.

Also, just picked up some new Python pipes, from my local H-D shop. 75% OFF....just had to get them. Will be putting those on the next day or two.

longrange1947
10-28-2008, 15:07
I never did post in here what Momma rides on the back of.

TR we still need to get together for lunch with a few of the rest of the clan. :D

Oh yes and it is getting nippy now. :boohoo

jw74
10-28-2008, 15:18
Just sold this '85 FXST after a year of reconstruction and a couple years of enjoying (its was burgandy with buckhorn bars when I got it):

Next scooter for me will be a road king. Black with apes. Always had a fondness for bonnevilles though, ever since I first saw the Great Escape, but I'm too tall for them.

TOMAHAWK9521
10-28-2008, 15:28
I sold my 04 VROD when I got back from Iraq this spring and picked up an 08 model.

ejcremata
10-28-2008, 15:43
I currently have a 2005 yamaha vstar 1100 classic touring edition and a 2001 kawasaki ninja zx-6e sport-touring bike. I love them both but the ninja jst seems to get me into trouble!

Sdiver
10-28-2008, 15:47
Oh yes and it is getting nippy now. :boohoo

A hoodie and some leathers, will help keep the rubber side down and the chrome side up. :D

Stras
10-30-2008, 11:38
Started with a used 1986 Sportster 1100 in 2002. stripped to the frame and rebuilt in 2002.

Then upgraded to a 2004 Dyna FXDX in 2004. all black. Nous Defions' points cover and SF Derby cover. Black bike on left with the flags mounted.

Sold the Sporty but kept the custom tank.

dumped the dyna last week evading someone who wanted me as a grill ornament. Minor damage to bike, all repairable. scratched SF Derby cover being upgraded to Trojan Horse.

There are some frigging idiots who are licensed to drive a car in Fayettenam...

RT AXE 10
10-30-2008, 11:53
Big "O" torchered me into buying his black 05 HD wide glide, (because he is too big for that bike), since then, I ride it...............:D

Thanks Big "o"....... will post a pic later

Axe

longrange1947
10-30-2008, 13:52
A hoodie and some leathers, will help keep the rubber side down and the chrome side up. :D

Trust me, have them. :D

Sdiver
10-30-2008, 21:49
Started with a used 1986 Sportster 1100 in 2002. stripped to the frame and rebuilt in 2002.

Then upgraded to a 2004 Dyna FXDX in 2004. all black. Nous Defions' points cover and SF Derby cover. Black bike on left with the flags mounted.

Sold the Sporty but kept the custom tank.

dumped the dyna last week evading someone who wanted me as a grill ornament. Minor damage to bike, all repairable. scratched SF Derby cover being upgraded to Trojan Horse.

There are some frigging idiots who are licensed to drive a car in Fayettenam...

Nice bikes. Where did you get that POW/MIA cover, done on your Sporty?

Sorry to hear about you dumping your Dyna. You okay ???

I agree, there are some idiot drivers out there. I don't care what the arguments there are against, but LOUD PIPES DO SAVE LIVES. That's why I'm putting those Pythons on mine this weekend. Was going to do it the other day, but when I went out to start it up, I had it on high idle to warm it up, when I noticed smoke coming from my regulator.

I shut down immediately and got it into the shop yesterday. They called today and told me they were just taking it off the rack. Seems I "fried/melted" my Stator, and that toasted my regulator. :rolleyes:

But my shop has an October special going on now. 30% off parts for the month, if it's fixed there. You think they knew something. ;)

Stras
10-31-2008, 06:03
[QUOTE=Sdiver;232648]Nice bikes. Where did you get that POW/MIA cover, done on your Sporty?

Sorry to hear about you dumping your Dyna. You okay ???QUOTE]

The cover on the Sporty was the stock one with a POW/MIA sticker on it.

I jammed my right ankle pretty bad when my forward controls got munched. still waiting to see if I tore the muscle or not. Frigging Bonehead PA was more interested in my tattoos than if I was injured.

Hope that your bike is back up and running soon.

kcphoenix
10-31-2008, 15:15
rolling a 2005 WCC CFL
got a 46 James in the garage restoring it
got the ol' man a 2008 WCC El Diablo as a redeployment gift

AF Doc
10-31-2008, 15:31
Y'all have some seriously nice scooters.

Right now I'm riding a R1200RT (heated seat feels nice this time of year). The fun bike is a KTM 950 adventure -- although after 700 miles the fun factor has diminished somewhat. :D

cornelyj
12-10-2008, 15:48
Yes I will be the first kid to post a picture of a sport bike.
I have a 2006 ZX6R with some small up grades. Mostly rode to classes and to morning PT so I can get those extra minutes of sleep and still get there in time for formation. :lifter

and yes that is a 2007 night train in the background...

Mike
12-10-2008, 15:58
I rode this for 34 years.
Sadly sold it for a road glide when I retired to travel on.

I do got another pan I am restoring.

Sdiver
12-10-2008, 18:25
I rode this for 34 years.
Sadly sold it for a road glide when I retired to travel on.

I do got another pan I am restoring.

Oh man, selling that Pan must have been like selling one of your kids to the Chinese for "slave labor".....no wait.....I'm sure it was harder. :D

Did you ever hear about those guys riding their Pan's from Alaska to Florida? Did they make it?

I met up with three guys last August, who were riding from NC to CA.....OFF ROAD !!!! :eek:

They had special bikes made over in Europe, just for off road riding. They had their course all mapped out via GPS, on where they were going. No road ways what so ever. All back country, over rocks, fields, streams, whatever. They mapped out their route, and got permission from anyone who's land they rode over, before going on.

Met them down in Trinidad. They had stopped for the night and were taking off the next morning. Heard back from them later on. One guys bike crapped out a few days later, hitting the Mts. The other two just barely made it, but them one crapped out somewhere in Utah. So they ended up trailering their bikes back to NC. Said they were going to try it again in a couple of years. It's just too expensive to do it again so quickly.

Stras
12-31-2008, 06:59
Just got my Dyna back after the 2 month rebuild.

It used to be a Dyna FXDX, though it's looking alot like a Nighttrain these days.

The Reaper
12-31-2008, 08:46

It used to be a Dyna FXDX, though it's looking alot like a Nighttrain these days.

Nice headlight.

TR

gagners
12-31-2008, 09:23
I have a 2000 Honda CBR600 F4. Bought from my brother when he was having $$$ issues. Not my pic, as I don't have any, but same exact bike.

Looking to paint all black this spring before the snow melts.

ZooKeeper
01-18-2009, 13:15
I just found this thread. I got this 07 1200 Custom Sportster last July.

Sdiver
02-28-2009, 19:34
It's getting warmer out. Just got some new "stuff" for my bike. Picked up and engine guard and a set of ditch lights. Also going to pick up a sound system for my MP3 player.

A friend of mine sent this to me. Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd put it here.

BIKER CREED..... words to know and live by

Body: Biker Creed

1. Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling and lived!

2. Catching a June bug on your face @ 70 mph can double your vocabulary.

3. Saddlebags will not hold everything you want, but they will hold everything you need.

4. Wear boots, you can't kick things with tennis shoes.

5. Never argue with a pissed off biker.

6. Routine maintenance cannot be neglected.

7. It takes more love to share a saddle, than it does to share a bed.

8. The only good view of a thunderstorm is in your rearview mirror, but don't be afraid to slow down.

9. Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

10. A two lane blacktop isn't a highway, its an attitude.

11. Never ask a biker for directions if you're in a hurry to get there.

12. If it takes more than three bolts to hold it on, it's probably critical.

13. Remember, you will be judged not only by the horse you ride, but also by how you ride your horse.

14. Don't ride so late into the night, that you sleep through the sunrise.

15. Burgers and beer are as important as gasoline.

16. The number of kicks it takes to start your bike is directly proportional to the number of spectators.

17. Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is good and warm.

18. Sometimes it takes a whole tank full of gas before you can think straight.

19. If you want to have a job, you may have to compromise your principals. You may even have to shave.

20. Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.

21. Never hesitate to ride into unknown territory.

22. Never mistake horsepower for staying power.

23. I'd rather have experience and good reflexes, than luck.

24. A cold burger in tinfoil can be reheated by strapping it to an exhaust pipe for fifty miles.

25. Never do less than forty miles before breakfast.

26. If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride.

27. A bike on the road is worth two in the shop.

28. There are two kinds of bikers, those who've been down, and those who are goin down.

29. New riders pick a destination, old riders pick a direction.

30. Respect your fellow riders, it may be one of them doing CPR on you someday.

31. Getting lost, just means you get to ride farther.

32. Sometimes the fastest way to get there is to stop for the night.

33. Always back your scoot into the curb and sit where you can see it.

34. Sometimes the best communication happens when you're on separate bikes.

35. Whatever it is, its better in the wind.

36. The worst day on a bike, is still better than the best day in a cage.

37. A biker can smell a party 50 miles away.

38. Take care of your horse, and it will take care of you.

39. If I have to explain, you won't understand.

40. People are like motorcycles: each is customized a bit differently.

41. More races are lost in the tavern than on the track.

42. Never loan your bike to a stranger.

43. The best alarm clock, is a big V-Twin..

44. Remember to pay as much attention to your woman as you do your bike.

45. The best cure for a hangover, is sunshine on chrome.

Ride Safe.

Longstreet
02-28-2009, 19:54
BIKER CREED.....

Sdiver I always thought the biker creed was, "keep the wind in your hair, and the heat off your ass." It is probably easier to memorize than your biker creed, but hey. Thanks for the post. It was a good read.

Ahh I am envious of anybody who can ride all year. It is getting warmer here too, but -15C just does not make ideal riding weather.

Stras
04-06-2009, 06:22
Here's my project bike. It's a 50/52 Pan. engine is from my uncle's 1950 bike, and the rest is my aunt's 52 bike.

Gonna be lots of fun to ride when I get her all restored.

Stras

kachingchingpow
04-06-2009, 07:32
(pardon any grammar & syntax issues, i'm just getting to where i can type again.)

in january, my 10yo son and i were broadsided by a 16yo girl, apparently with her stereo on 11. she was pulling out of a parking lot, attempting to cross the north bound side of a divided 4 lane hwy to get to the median to make a turn to the soutbound side. i was travelling north and she t-boned us. i was going 55, but after a 75' skid not sure of the actual speed.

of course getting hit in the side led to a sizeable inventory of injuries. my rt heel was crushed by her bumper, needless to say my foot looks like it was in a wood chipper. theres a plate and some sort of synthetic heel in there now. rt. femur crushed into 10 or more pieces, external and it came out through my jeans. i've got a titanium rod in there now that is screwed into the neck of the femur and just above the knee. left shoulder was dislocated, and had to undergo an open rotator cuff rebuild. 6 screws in all. head hit the ground, and the first thing to happen was the skull cap came flying off. serious concussion, and spent 4 days in a coma with my body in survival mode... heart and breathing was freaking out, and was put on dialysis due to some high potassium issues.

son had a broken wrist which healed quickly. broken rt femur neck that had to have an internal fixator, broken tib & fib, which required 4 pins and an external fixator, and a broken ankle requiring a screw. thank God i put a high quality full face helmet on him that day. he had marks on it down to the white fiberglass that indicate to me that it saved his life.

looking back, as much as i loved it, i would never ride again with a kid or loved one on my bike. there's just too many idiot drivers that are not paying attention. this girl "never even saw us," as is way too often the case, and my pipes were about as loud as you can stand them. the risks are just too great, and trust me, you don't want to look at your kid every day holding back a tear knowing that simply not taking them would've resulted in them not having to go through this.

in the end i'm thankful. God spared both of our lives. my son could've easily died, and life for me would've been a true hell. i miss biking, and hope one day that my better 1/2 will tolerate me getting back on one. at this point, it's not even open for discussion, unless i talk to a divorce lawyer first. she went through hell, having received a call while out of town, and having to drive 3 hours under extreme stress to get to a hospital. my son and i were in separate locations about 45 minutes away. the month that we spent in there was tough on her, so has the 7 weeks that we've been wheel chairing around the house.

be careful out there guys. God bless & ride safe.

here's a pic of my daughter on my now deceased '05 fxst

The Reaper
04-06-2009, 07:47
Get well soon.

TR

Sdiver
05-31-2009, 21:04
Added some new accessories to the bike.

New Pipes ('Pythons' and YES they are LOUD), new pegs, new grips, engine guard, ditch lights (aka Passing lamps, although haven't got those on yet, I'll put them on the same time I put on my speakers) and new 'Nose Art' on the front tin.

Of course with the nose art, I had to come up with a name, like WW II pilots on their AC's. At first I thought about putting on a couple of Pigs Fu*king and calling it "Makin' Bacon", but found this in one of the shops here in town.

I racked my brain long and hard for the proper name, then it hit me.......there is one young lady here on this board, (well actually her sister is), but she is here in spirit and I know her sis reads the boards to her everyday.

With the new pipes and the inspiration she gives, I've decided to name the bike after her....."Kristy's Cannons".

Holly,
Aside from giving your sister that dance I promised her, she of course will be getting a ride. ;)

echoes
06-01-2009, 07:46
Added some new accessories to the bike.

New Pipes ('Pythons' and YES they are LOUD), new pegs, new grips, engine guard, ditch lights (aka Passing lamps, although haven't got those on yet, I'll put them on the same time I put on my speakers) and new 'Nose Art' on the front tin.

Of course with the nose art, I had to come up with a name, like WW II pilots on their AC's. At first I thought about putting on a couple of Pigs Fu*king and calling it "Makin' Bacon", but found this in one of the shops here in town.

I racked my brain long and hard for the proper name, then it hit me.......there is one young lady here on this board, (well actually her sister is), but she is here in spirit and I know her sis reads the boards to her everyday.

With the new pipes and the inspiration she gives, I've decided to name the bike after her....."Kristy's Cannons".

Holly,
Aside from giving your sister that dance I promised her, she of course will be getting a ride. ;)

S,

Beautiful Bike!!! The art came out very well, and sis got a huge grin when I told her about it!;) She says, "Thank you!"

Rock-On S!!!

Holly

Bordercop
06-01-2009, 09:23
2004 Electra Glide Ultra Classic Peace Officer Edition...that's my youngest with me at the Toy Run in Las Cruces, NM.

Perge Sed Caute

MARSOC0211
06-01-2009, 10:28
'07 Ducati 1098

coppertop
06-01-2009, 11:50
A 1982 BMW R100S I bought new, and is still my daily rider.
I purchased a used 1979 RD400F after the Beemer for messing about on the race track.

Ride safe, all.

SF0
06-01-2009, 15:54
Nothing yet unfortunately. I have my heart set on one of these though:

Pete
06-01-2009, 16:35
Last day of school for the munchkin was today.

Pulled into the parking lot and there was the cutist little Stella with side car at the front of the line.

Link: http://www.surfsidescooters.com/stella_scooters_accessories.shtml

Richard
06-01-2009, 18:54
Nothing yet unfortunately. I have my heart set on one of these though:

Last real one of those I saw was in the Netherlands at Nijmegen during their annual reenactment in celebration of the MARKET GARDEN operations. The rider was Dutch, wearing the uniform of an 82nd ABN SGT with a Thompson in the holster on the front forks. Looked like fun to me! :)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

SF0
06-01-2009, 22:29
Last real one of those I saw was in the Netherlands at Nijmegen during their annual reenactment in celebration of the MARKET GARDEN operations. The rider was Dutch, wearing the uniform of an 82nd ABN SGT with a Thompson in the holster on the front forks. Looked like fun to me! :)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

The only thing I'd add to the one in the picture is a side car so I could take my daughter on rides through the forests around here. A Thompson wouldn't hurt though! :lifter

ksgbobo
08-05-2009, 21:22
I picked up an '09 HD Nightster (used) a couple weeks ago. It has Vance and Hines pipes on it, and I have a few things that I would like to do to it to make it mine. This is my first bike.

Mike
08-05-2009, 22:56
in the end i'm thankful. God spared both of our lives. my son could've easily died, and life for me would've been a true hell. i miss biking, and hope one day that my better 1/2 will tolerate me getting back on one.
be careful out there guys. God bless & ride safe.

[/QUOTE]

I did not see this til today.

Sure glad you're boy got off light and you're alive.

I been riding 45 years without a real accident. Kicker on an old pan broke and tore my calf up pretty good once.

I still ride and fixing to start out on a real big trip shortly.
I'm 62 and don't know how many more of these I will want to do.
Traffic today is truly horrifying-the ground is harder than it used to be as well.

Best of luck in healing up.

pjody187
08-06-2009, 18:50
Anybody ever owned a Royal Enfield? I'm looking to get my first bike soon. Check out the Bullet G5 Military its pretty nifty.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/military-g5.html

longrange1947
08-06-2009, 19:14
If that is a version of the motorcycle I think a friend had in the mid 60s, it will have a compression release next to the throttle so it won't kick you over handle bars when you kick start it. :munchin :D

Solid Bike, I was riding a BSA 650 Lightning at the time.

dirtyshirt
08-06-2009, 19:18
Yes, I have owned a Royal Enfield. Mine was a '57.

The ones today are made in India from the same plans ect as the "classic" ones. They are as easy as a Triumph,BSA or Norton to work on,and leak oil just like the old ones as well.

as soon as I find another job, I would like to get a new Enfield.

You will enjoy any model Royal Enfield you get:)

pjody187
08-06-2009, 19:24
If that is a version of the motorcycle I think a friend had in the mid 60s, it will have a compression release next to the throttle so it won't kick you over handle bars when you kick start it. :munchin :D

Solid Bike, I was riding a BSA 650 Lightning at the time.

Up till a couple of years ago they were only kick start, but they recently had to build a new engine that has an electric ignition, I guess the specs from 1955 weren't meeting the emissions standards in Europe. ::rolleyes:

longrange1947
08-06-2009, 19:29
............ They are as easy as a Triumph,BSA or Norton to work on,and leak oil just like the old ones as well.......................

You will enjoy any model Royal Enfield you get:)

They were easy bikes to ride and very well behaved. And yes, they do leak like a sieve. Every lower end screw, gasket, crevice, and some spots I never did figure out.

Yes, I tried Teflon tape as well. No joy, contrary to some tales being passed around at that time. :D

pjody187
08-06-2009, 22:52
Thanks for the advice and info longrange1947 and dirtyshirt. Can't wait to get a bike, any bike, so I can quit walking my sorry ass to the bus stop every time I gotta leave the neighborhood. The public transport sucks in Cincinnati.

Shovelman
09-10-2009, 20:19
started with an 87 Honda magna. Went to a 66 rigid 10 over springer triumph for awhile ( don't think I ever actually rode it!). Moved on to a 67, 58, 62 ....up to 76 T120 R modified "Bonnie". Got a 81 FLH shovelhead now. 96" S&S stroker with a 3" open primary. Kick only. Fun bike on wet cold mornings.

ODA CDR (RET)
09-12-2009, 14:05
Picked this up through the Mil Sales Program while in Panama 98. Had it shipped to PR when the Company moved there, shipped back to Bragg in 2000 (Rolling Thunder 2001/ride through Arlington) now down in Florida only sunny riding.

The Reaper
09-12-2009, 14:11
Picked this up through the Mil Sales Program while in Panama 98. Had it shipped to PR when the Company moved there, shipped back to Bragg in 2000 (Rolling Thunder 2001/ride through Arlington) now down in Florida only sunny riding.

IIRC, you had a few tire issues on the way and we had some bad weather.:D

TR

ODA CDR (RET)
09-12-2009, 14:15
A proud member of AAA now due to that incident.

Silentxray
09-12-2009, 15:46
I've got a 2006 KTM 625 SMC (Supermoto) and a 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja. I used to do a lot of stupid stuff and I never went down thankfully. The supermoto is an awesome all around hooligan bike, if you don't know how to wheelie or you don't like to, don't ride a supermoto because you will before you're done.

echoes
09-12-2009, 17:19
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/H-D_History/history_1900s.jsp?locale=en_US

The above link is the History of the Harley, and very informative!

And well, SF Men on Bikes is just cool! :)

JMHO, :lifter

Holly

pjody187
09-14-2009, 20:03
Got my first bike today! 2006 Harley-Davidson XL 883 Sportster :lifter

longrange1947
09-14-2009, 20:09
Congratulations and have fun!

Be aware and be safe.

Costa
09-26-2009, 19:12
Have a 2007 R6-S. Might be looking to get rid of it as I wont have time to ride it really anymore...

longrange1947
09-26-2009, 20:04
A proud member of AAA now due to that incident.

Hmmm, missed that story, going to have to pry into your past. :D

Sounds like a good one.

T-Rock
06-11-2010, 20:43
Picked up this cruiser a few years back basically to ride with the PGR (02 VT 1100 Sabre). Now the other half and I are hooked on riding.

While celebrating our 21st anniversary, we rented this bad boy for a coastal tour and we fell in love with it, the HD Ultra Classic.

We may end up buying an Ultra Classic, nevertheless, does anyone have any thoughts or experience on the Triumph Rocket III touring ? We may test one soon before we decide to drop such coinage on the HD… Tips or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Rocket III > http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/2010_RocketIIITouring_Overview_2010RocketIIITourin g.aspx

EasyIan
06-11-2010, 22:31
..there would be so many V Twin riders. I ride a 2009 GSX-r 600, and am about to start a build project. My GSX-r is a beauty and not one of those stock bikes covered in crome the young kids are riding. It's all internal, well almost all internal.

As for the bike I'm building, it's going to be built around a Honda 1200 V-Twin (sorry Harley lovers I trust Honda's over any other) on a custom frame. The plans I drew up are calling for a bare bones sleek design with a Marine Corps paint job, we'll see though.

longrange1947
06-12-2010, 19:20
TRock - I love mine and just ignore the comments about a car with two wheels. I know it is simple jealousy. Especially when it is about 28 degrees out. :D

T-Rock
06-13-2010, 06:12
TRock - I love mine and just ignore the comments about a car with two wheels. I know it is simple jealousy. Especially when it is about 28 degrees out.

~35 is all I can tolerate commuting to Boone in the fall on the Saber without totally becoming an ice cube and disoriented - with heated seats, grips, and the level of wind break the Ultra affords, I could see riding it well into the 15 degree range, comfortably - a car with two wheels would be heaven :D

busa
06-13-2010, 12:52
This was most of the fleet when I came home this last time, however the Doc's said no more toys so all but the HD are gone. It was a blast while it lasted. Both my wife and I were MSF Instuctors so we could write them off taxes which was great also.

BlackHills
06-23-2010, 12:11
Here's mine - a '95 900SS/SP.

kachingchingpow
06-23-2010, 13:14
After a year and a half of recovery, I'm back up riding. A close friend, and fellow follower of Christ just put his second girl in college. In an effort to divest, he gave me his bike at a very good price. The bike is an 87 FXLR Custom. When his brother passed in 89, he became the owner, and has ridden and taken care of it for the past 21 years. He was very sentimental about the ride, and finally thought that a good home for it would be a friend. Proud to carry the torch further.

klinelugz
01-13-2011, 21:37
I originally bought an 05 Fatboy. 1st weekend tore it completely down to the frame and "redid" it my way. Custom paint job, and metal spikes up and down the center of both fenders and gas tank. Custom lowering kit built by myself. Sold it to a local bar owner that wanted to play biker with a cool bike, he laid it down the following summer!

2nd bike is a 95 Sportster 1200 with quite a bit of work done to it. Paint is spray on bed liner. Custom lowering kit, 16" apes, forward controls, motor work to allow it to run with the big bikes. And yes, it will keep up, top speed I had her at was 105mph on the interstate.

I get alot of my work that I can't do, done at Shakey's Cycles in Oak Grove, KY. The owner, Shakey (aka Jeff Smith) is a retired SF member. If you all know him, he's got some pretty sick bikes too. Including his SF tribute bike!

wet dog
01-14-2011, 01:24

Always like the Bonneville tank shape.

mac117
01-14-2011, 14:04
I have returned to my roots....'72 Sportster in a rigid frame!

wet dog
01-14-2011, 15:02
I have returned to my roots....'72 Sportster in a rigid frame!

Nice!

Have you ever considered replacing those pipes with short stubbies, wrapped?

69harley
01-14-2011, 15:52
My FXR, a work in progress.

busa
01-14-2011, 17:02
Quite nice, I don't know if I would ride in those conditions though. :eek:

ksboi
01-15-2011, 01:50
Busa is that a Ducati you also have? I ride a 05 CBR600RR, I am thinking about buying an old harley fixer.

busa
01-15-2011, 06:19
Busa is that a Ducati you also have? I ride a 05 CBR600RR, I am thinking about buying an old harley fixer.

Yes it was. An 04 999S, I had it for about two years and the only time I enjoyed riding it was on track days. It was a pain to ride around town but on the track all you had to do was look into a corner and you were there. It made even me look fast, and one of the conditions for me to be on the track was I had to have a large orange triangle attached to the back of my leathers (you know “slow moving vehicle" emblem). Which by the way is just so wrong!:D

mac117
01-19-2011, 06:42
Hey WetDog....I've thought about it, but not sure yet. I've stripped it down and I'm rewiring, doing some cosmetics, etc....and will probably repaint it. With all this damn snow on the ground it's definitely giving me something to do in the garage!

Stras
03-05-2011, 14:02
Here's my project bike. It's a 50/52 Pan. engine is from my uncle's 1950 bike, and the rest is my aunt's 52 bike.

Gonna be lots of fun to ride when I get her all restored.

Stras

I took a couple steps backwards awhile back.....

Lost 3/4 of the bike due to a small warehouse fire in Germany. still have the rolling chassis, with engine and tranny. everything else (new and old) along with the HHG were lost.

still rolling forward with the restoration plan.

Calvengeance
05-20-2011, 01:32
There are some amazing bikes in this thread.

I've been looking at buying a motorcycle for about 6 years now, and I'm finally coming to the point where I actually have the means.

I am absolutely in love with the Ducati SportClassic. The cafe racer look is so sleek and timeless it looks like God's own motorcycle.

Here are some pictures from the Ducati.ms SportClassic forum of some of the exceptionally gorgeous bikes.

The silver one is a Paul Smart 1000LE, and it's beautiful but they're pretty hard to come by; only about 500 are in America.

The black with gold accents is the SportClassic 1000SE; only 100 were made so it's even tougher to find one. There's a thread on the Ducati forum that lists where many of the 1000SE bikes are, and it's almost heartbreaking when the thread is updated with news of a crashed bike.

Thoughts?

33army
05-20-2011, 12:40
I got a Honda CBR 1000RR. Looking for something a little more wife friendly.

Mr. Pink
06-13-2011, 12:37
Greetings,
My P&J is "Baby-doll," a 1975 HD FLH Electra Glide.
I've had her for 18 years, now:

*Electronic Ignition conversion.
*S&S Super E
*Ported and Polished heads.
*Andrews "BH" Grind cam
*High compression pistons

All was done to pull a sidecar, and keep up with today's traffic.

BTW: Calvengeance: Love the Ducks!

V/R,

Mr. Pink

Warrior-Mentor
06-15-2011, 06:50
2011 HD Dyna Street Bob (FXDB)
Tons of mods including SF Crest Timing Cover & Derby Cover.
Thunderheader Pipes. Bought it in Miami, rode it to Key West, rode it home to Fort Bragg, then up to Buffalo & back. Over 7,500 miles in under 4 months.

Warrior-Mentor
06-15-2011, 06:55

Sweet ride. Is that a 10th Group crest on the Derby Cover?

glebo
06-15-2011, 07:21
Can't remember if I posted before...but here's mine, 07 road king...if you're around fay/hope mills/ft bragg, give me a good 'ol "wave"...LOL Not to many road kings this color..

69harley
06-15-2011, 10:05
Can't remember if I posted before...but here's mine, 07 road king...if you're around fay/hope mills/ft bragg, give me a good 'ol "wave"...LOL Not to many road kings this color..

I think you and I were neighbors a few years ago. If you are who I think you are, I lived up the hill from you. You saved my hide once when I had maybe four pelican cases full of comms stuff fall off the back of my truck in Hope Mills.

glebo
06-15-2011, 12:16
I think you and I were neighbors a few years ago. If you are who I think you are, I lived up the hill from you. You saved my hide once when I had maybe four pelican cases full of comms stuff fall off the back of my truck in Hope Mills.

I must be gettin' "sumtimers"..I don't recall...but where/when (about) did this happen...??

I live near the Wal-Mart distro center in Grays Creek...

s
06-18-2011, 11:13
I sold it less than a month ago. It was a KTM 990 SM Black. Still haven't decided what to replace it with...

bluebb
06-18-2011, 14:53
2007 1200 Sportster C

Blue

Chin-Saw
06-18-2011, 20:55
'98 Ducati M900

Stras
06-19-2011, 11:17
Sweet ride. Is that a 10th Group crest on the Derby Cover?

Why yes it is.

cbtengr
07-14-2012, 11:41
22678 The green bike is a 66 FLH and the blue one is a 67 FLH.

My wife and I are entering North Carolina via the East coast of Virginia next month. We are headed to Ft. Bragg and looking for a nice two lane scenic route to get us there, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. From Bragg we are headed to Columbia, SC then into Georgia so if you know of any good routes down that way please feel free to share them. Thanks!

greenberetTFS
07-14-2012, 11:54
Don't own a bike anymore,but saw these two on SF Brothers so I thought I'd just post them..........;) :D

Big Teddy :munchin

Flagg
07-15-2012, 21:26
Here's two we've built to compete in some competitions(see attachments):

Currently working on a Harley inspired a bit by James Dean's 550 Porsche Spyder...

Tank and Tins beaten into submission and done(bar top coat)......old school Avon Tyres....just waiting for exhaust and bars(probably clip ons).

69harley
08-02-2012, 10:42
Anyone know anything about land-speed racing?

Have been to Bonneville a couple times with a friend. Helped set a record the first time, second time we missed a record by four MPH.

HH6 gave the approval yesterday to build a bike to go after a record. The goal is 174 mph on 110 octane gas, completely un-faired, with a pushrod engine no larger than 120".

Would like to hear from anyone that would like to help.

First pic is the crew from last year. From left to right: Adam Heibert (Zippers Perf), Legendary Dick Hilferty, Dan Baisley (Baisley Perf), Joe Bonneville, Me, Ron Dickey (Owner of Axtell), Chaz Cooney (Axtell Foreman).

Second and third pics are of Dan going 168 mph on Ron's street driven 2002 Harley Dyna.

glebo
08-02-2012, 11:56
Wow, wish I knew enough about it. Good luck, sounds like a great project and experience..:lifter

Flagg
08-02-2012, 13:45
Anyone know anything about land-speed racing?

Have been to Bonneville a couple times with a friend. Helped set a record the first time, second time we missed a record by four MPH.

HH6 gave the approval yesterday to build a bike to go after a record. The goal is 174 mph on 110 octane gas, completely un-faired, with a pushrod engine no larger than 120".

Would like to hear from anyone that would like to help.

First pic is the crew from last year. From left to right: Adam Heibert (Zippers Perf), Legendary Dick Hilferty, Dan Baisley (Baisley Perf), Joe Bonneville, Me, Ron Dickey (Owner of Axtell), Chaz Cooney (Axtell Foreman).

Second and third pics are of Dan going 168 mph on Ron's street driven 2002 Harley Dyna.

Nice!

I've never been but would love to go someday on a visit back to the US....although I get to go to the HD Museum for the first time in Milwaukee in a few weeks.

A business peer of mine spent quite a bit of time at Bonneville trying to crack 200mph on a modified Hayabusa. From what I learned from him it's even harder than it looks.

The closest I've been to it is seeing the World's Fastest Indian bikes(real and replica) in the flesh.

69harley
08-03-2012, 07:46
Wind drag, lack of traction on the salt and lack of barometric pressure are the major obsticles to overcome at Bonneville. Especially barometric pressure, at 6k' ASL, a naturally aspirated engine requires huge valves to flow enough air, and incredibly high static compression. The 110 octane gas will support cold cranking pressures in the range of 240 lbs. At sea level that equates to 12.5-13.5:1 static compression depending on the closing point of the intake valve. At 6k' ASL, the same engine/cam will require close to 16:1 compression to make the same CCP. To do it right, the engine gets built and tuned at the same elevation as Bonneville. In the real world, the engine gets built in NC, tuned, shake down runs and then pistons and heads get changed prior to the Bonneville. Maybe a day to tune on a buddy's dyno in Colorado on the way to the salt.

Guymullins
08-03-2012, 08:16
One of my bikes is a 1981 Honda CBX 1000, 6 cylinder 24 valve sweetheart.

glebo
08-03-2012, 10:14

classic!...although I'd hate to do the valve adjustments and carb sync'ing

Guymullins
08-03-2012, 10:42
Had my carbs cleaned a few months ago. Very big job and expensive, but the bike went a bunch better afterwards. Unfortunatley I had a bad crash on it and almost lost a leg, so no riding for me for a while as healing is taking a bit of time.

69harley
08-03-2012, 11:38

The carb sync'ing is not really hard. It requires a six colum mercury vacume gauge. Simply connect each carb to its own colume on the gauge. Then adjust the other five butterflies until they are all drawing the same vacume. Idle AFR is sort of done the same way.

Tuning six carbs for power can be challenging as their are big differences in temps between the inside cylinders and outside cylinders. Add in the different port profiles for the various cylinders across the head and getting everything out of each hole is alot of trial and error.

Flagg
08-05-2012, 18:46

Awesome........

Being in the motorbike biz, it drives me nuts seeing Honda come out with some awesome bikes while it also comes out with generic clones of Harley-Davidson.

No matter how good their cruisers are(and they can be surprisingly good), they are still perceived by most as clones and the red haired step children of the Harley dominated cruiser community.

If I was running Honda marketing, I'd say "We're bringing back a limited edition CBX."

"We are only going to make X many(the first year)".

"They are going to cost X dollars paid in advance."

People would go nuts.......and the program would be pre-funded. :)

The CBX is a big part of the Honda legacy......I've got a photo of me as a kid on one with my uncle that drove my desire for motorcycles and entering the business.

It's a shame really.....they've brought back brands like Norton.....I don't see why they can't bring back a brand within a brand in the form of a new CBX.

Anywho.....nice bike.

glebo
08-06-2012, 06:14
Had my carbs cleaned a few months ago. Very big job and expensive, but the bike went a bunch better afterwards. Unfortunatley I had a bad crash on it and almost lost a leg, so no riding for me for a while as healing is taking a bit of time.

ouch, hope ya heel well, and fast. that hurts just looking at it.:eek:

Guymullins
08-06-2012, 06:22
ouch, hope ya heel well, and fast. that hurts just looking at it.:eek:

Thanks Glebo, funnily enough, it didnt hurt a bit, which is more than I can say for the broken ribs and shoulder.

Guymullins
08-19-2012, 13:05

The other one is a 1978 Triumph Bonneville 750 cc

69harley
09-11-2012, 18:03
An update. Not the Bonneville land speed bike, but a bike I am building for a friend. Very similar to my race bike.

glebo
09-12-2012, 06:13
/\ /\ /\ Haaa, gotta luv it, in the kitchenette no less....LOL

They only place to build...close to the fridge..

Flagg
09-15-2012, 18:37
An update. Not the Bonneville land speed bike, but a bike I am building for a friend. Very similar to my race bike.

Ohlins up front?

What about on the rear?

You might be able to scare up some Ohlins rear shocks(not sure if they'd fit size wise, but maybe) 2nd hand off of the Yamaha XJRs that came as standard upgrades a number of years back.....could be some in good knick from a salvaged bike.

I like the direction you're going in.....looks like a reinterpretation of an old FXR.

69harley
09-15-2012, 21:16
Ohlins up front?

What about on the rear?

You might be able to scare up some Ohlins rear shocks(not sure if they'd fit size wise, but maybe) 2nd hand off of the Yamaha XJRs that came as standard upgrades a number of years back.....could be some in good knick from a salvaged bike.

I like the direction you're going in.....looks like a reinterpretation of an old FXR.

Thanks for the kind words.

That is an FXR frame. The front fork is a set of KYB 43mm inverted forks that have been lengthened by three inches.

Look at the area between the lower tube and the caliper bracket, there is an extension in there. Inside the fork the dampener tube is three inches longer, final was 1200 grit and then hard place anodized. Very slippery.

The rear shocks are going to be custom built by GMD Atlanta once the bike is completely built and a true rear axle weight is known.

Here are some pics of the fork extensions in various stages of the build and the bike in its previous configuration. The fork with the red fender is from a tube frame Buell. The Buell fork was great for going straight but was too short for the twisties, plus it had side mounted calipers. The 43mm KYB is a much better platform and more worthy of the work required to extend it.

Flagg
09-16-2012, 18:28
Thanks for the kind words.

That is an FXR frame. The front fork is a set of KYB 43mm inverted forks that have been lengthened by three inches.

Look at the area between the lower tube and the caliper bracket, there is an extension in there. Inside the fork the dampener tube is three inches longer, final was 1200 grit and then hard place anodized. Very slippery.

The rear shocks are going to be custom built by GMD Atlanta once the bike is completely built and a true rear axle weight is known.

Here are some pics of the fork extensions in various stages of the build and the bike in its previous configuration. The fork with the red fender is from a tube frame Buell. The Buell fork was great for going straight but was too short for the twisties, plus it had side mounted calipers. The 43mm KYB is a much better platform and more worthy of the work required to extend it.

Awesome effort....I'd be keen to see the finished product once done. My workshop manager is going to get a kick out of this one. Him and his Dad are working on an outside the square kind of bike....trying to mesh old school Harley with more modern Buell/Ohlins bits too.

They're trying to shoehorn a TwinCam motor/trans into an FXR frame.

I'm working on a 48 at the moment....but will be 80% stock.....far more show than go.

69harley
09-16-2012, 18:36
Awesome effort....I'd be keen to see the finished product once done. My workshop manager is going to get a kick out of this one. Him and his Dad are working on an outside the square kind of bike....trying to mesh old school Harley with more modern Buell/Ohlins bits too.

They're trying to shoehorn a TwinCam motor/trans into an FXR frame.

I'm working on a 48 at the moment....but will be 80% stock.....far more show than go.

Putting a TC engine and transmission into an FXR is pretty easy if they use the swingarm from a 2002-2006 dresser. Everything will simply bolt in. Pretty good upgrade and low cost at that.

69harley
04-01-2013, 22:05
Some updated pics of the FXRs I am building. The mostly black bike belongs to my friend and the bike with more chrome is mine.

Still have to source many parts and lots to do before we can light them. My friend is retiring late this summer, the goal is to be riding them before he signs out.

Flagg
04-02-2013, 00:14
Some updated pics of the FXRs I am building. The mostly black bike belongs to my friend and the bike with more chrome is mine.

Still have to source many parts and lots to do before we can light them. My friend is retiring late this summer, the goal is to be riding them before he signs out.

Looks good....

What's the upside down front-end?

Looks a bit like Ohlins.

I like the double disk front end.

Should be a real goer.

Always been a fan of the FXR......every year when I talk to the Platform Engineering guys I always ask "When you bringing back the bloody FXR?" :)

It can be a pain in the arse at time building bikes, but it's lots of fun.

69harley
04-02-2013, 06:02
I wish that fork was an Ohlins, it would have cost less. The forks in the pictures is a KYB 43mm that came from a '07-2008 GSXR-1000.

Of course it was too short and had springs and valves that were not right for a FXR. I lengthened the fork for 3" at the bottom. There is a spacer between the lower tube and the feet as well as a longer dampener tube inside. The springs are RaceTech 1.0 units and the valving has been replaced with a Gold valve setup, also from RaceTech.

Those brake rotors are 320mm and came from BrakeTech and use Ferrodo Zroc pads.

Flagg
04-02-2013, 07:14
I wish that fork was an Ohlins, it would have cost less. The forks in the pictures is a KYB 43mm that came from a '07-2008 GSXR-1000.

Of course it was too short and had springs and valves that were not right for a FXR. I lengthened the fork for 3" at the bottom. There is a spacer between the lower tube and the feet as well as a longer dampener tube inside. The springs are RaceTech 1.0 units and the valving has been replaced with a Gold valve setup, also from RaceTech.

Those brake rotors are 320mm and came from BrakeTech and use Ferrodo Zroc pads.

Cheers,

What bouncy bits do you have on the rear to match the suspension money put up front?

I remember back in the back Suzuki offered free upgrade Ohlins on GSX bikes(not sure if US was included in that though)...I know some guys who've salvaged them for other projects.

Great project though....please keep posting progress photos.

kachingchingpow
05-21-2013, 09:47
Anyone? Checking here to see where and when like minded folks will be around. I'm heading north on Thursday, will be staying with my Mom in Laurel.

69harley
08-22-2013, 13:03
Packing up now and heading to Bonneville for Bub Week (Motorcycles Only). This is a street riden 2002 Harley Dyna Low Rider with extensive modifications, aside from the obvious, the engine is an all bore (4.25") 114" that runs 14.5:1 compression, modified, raised port Hurricane heads w/titanium valves and a bunch of other stuff that I cannot talk about. Goal is to go 178 MPH (record for the class). Anyone in the area is invited to stop by our pit for a cold one.

GratefulCitizen
08-22-2013, 13:34
Quit riding 14 years ago when I got married.
Had a wife and 7 year-old step son to care for, didn't need the VFR750F tempting me.

Still have that bike stored out back.

The local climate and roads have been tempting me to start riding again.
Got a call Tuesday which pushed me over the edge.

Parents have 7 motorcycles, which they determined to be 1 too many.
Dad called and asked if I wanted his RoadStar 1600 (he upgraded to a Raider 1900).

I bit (too difficult to pass on 98 cubic inches of single-pin, V-twin fun).
It's in great shape, well-maintained, 2000 model year, 31k miles, and a few upgrades.

Should get it this weekend or next.
Will post pics.

glebo
08-22-2013, 14:02
Packing up now and heading to Bonneville for Bub Week (Motorcycles Only). This is a street riden 2002 Harley Dyna Low Rider with extensive modifications, aside from the obvious, the engine is an all bore (4.25") 114" that runs 14.5:1 compression, modified, raised port Hurricane heads w/titanium valves and a bunch of other stuff that I cannot talk about. Goal is to go 178 MPH (record for the class). Anyone in the area is invited to stop by our pit for a cold one.

Wow, nice job. I was wondering why you had a fairing over the front wheel.

The motor sounds badass...good job on it. Just don't blow it up...:eek:

69harley
08-22-2013, 15:45
Wow, nice job. I was wondering why you had a fairing over the front wheel.

The motor sounds badass...good job on it. Just don't blow it up...:eek:

The class allows for a 120 cubic inch, aircooled, pushrod engine in an exposed stock chassis without any aerodynamic enhancement. For whatever reason, that fender is legal for the class. WTF?

The bike, rider and his PPE will go through the 'Scrutineering' station on Saturday. We have a couple of other fenders to swap out if this one gets held up in the tech inspection.

The old timers at Bonneville say your not racing hard enough if you go home with a running engine. Two years ago we went 171 mph, missed the record by 2 MPH and blew two very expensive engines. $20k later and we arent even at the track yet.

PSM
08-22-2013, 15:47

A friend of mine, Vance Breese, Jr., took a tumble on one at 260 MPH back in '95. Knocked some sense into him. . .he now flies a gyroplane. :D

Good luck on the record!

Pat

mike-munich
08-23-2013, 00:02
Just found this...

I try to blend in, so I ride a BMW R1200GS over here in Germany and have a '03 Harley Sportster back in Texas. I only use the HD a couple of weeks out of the year, it's a 883 but I'm thinking about putting the 1250cc kit on it.

Mike

Sdiver
08-23-2013, 00:33
Just found this...

I try to blend in, so I ride a BMW R1200GS over here in Germany and have a '03 Harley Sportster back in Texas. I only use the HD a couple of weeks out of the year, it's a 883 but I'm thinking about putting the 1250cc kit on it.

Mike

Looks like your Sporty is an '03 Anniversary edition. I'd keep the 880 in it, just because it can from the factory that way, and the fact it is an '03. If you'd like a bigger bike, look at getting another one, but keep that '03 as is. But that's me. You can do what you want. It's your bike. :D

I must say though, those are some very "interesting" lines on your BMW.
Just what exactly is that "decoration" under your head light?
Looks like some sort of "James Bond" type gadgetry. :D

mike-munich
08-23-2013, 00:48
Looks like your Sporty is an '03 Anniversary edition. I'd keep the 880 in it, just because it can from the factory that way, and the fact it is an '03. If you'd like a bigger bike, look at getting another one, but keep that '03 as is. But that's me. You can do what you want. It's your bike. :D

I must say though, those are some very "interesting" lines on your BMW.
Just what exactly is that "decoration" under your head light?
Looks like some sort of "James Bond" type gadgetry. :D

Yes, the 100 year Anniversary. I still can't believe I got it so cheap from a HD dealer in Houston. I know what you mean about keeping it original, I would just like to have a little more power to it. Any ideas? I ride with big twins every once in awhile and it's hard to keep up on the interstate.

007 HSLD gear... Yeah, I would love some gadgets by Mr. Q. haha :cool:. I have a Touratech headlight protector over the headlight (I ride off road sometimes), I also have "Micro Flooter" driving lights on it and a custom oil cooler cover.

twistedsquid
08-23-2013, 06:51
My 08 SV650S...Great for ripping up the canyons here in Colorado.

Irishsquid
08-23-2013, 07:50
Well, I officially gave up my HD loyalty...I was strapped for cash a few years back and bought a used Honda...and you can't break the friggin' thing. It just keeps running, no matter what. I am kinda sold, provided I have the tools to do some custom work (which I do.) Now, all I need to do is get my bidness set up to make non-HD parts.

For those asking about Group parts, etc...if you're in the market, feel free to contact me, and IF the leadership here gives it the OK, I'll make you a good deal on aesthetic parts. I'm about 1500 miles away from my shop right now, in Phoenix, so I'm not doing any performance work...but I can send in a design and have pretty parts in the mail in a couple of days...

...and yes...I realize it's blasphemy that I no longer ride Harley, but haven't managed switched my shop over to produce parts for anything except Harley...I'm actually getting measurements together and drawing up plans for parts for Honda cruisers right now, but it may be a while before they hit production.

69harley
08-23-2013, 10:03
I know what you mean about keeping it original, I would just like to have a little more power to it. Any ideas? I ride with big twins every once in awhile and it's hard to keep up on the interstate.

The 1200 cylinders will bolt in without any machining. Harley makes a kit, but there is much better in the aftermarket from companies like Axtell and S&S.

A good set of bolt-in cams will liven up that engine weather it stays an 883 or gets the big-bore cylinders. Cams are needed regardless.

Look at Zippers Performance for a better flowing aircleaner, cams, mufflers and maybe even some cylinders and headwork. 85 Horse at the rear wheel on a 1200 cc sporty is common.

If it's an '03 it is ten years old, no need to keep it original as it came from Harley. OEM bikes are way too restricted, they run hot and leave allot of power on the table.

Allow that bike to breath and it'll run circles around the big twins. The hot rods of harley have always been the sportsters.

GratefulCitizen
08-25-2013, 17:02
Took it for a short ride last night.
Hadn't ridden a motorcycle in more than a decade.

Forgot how much different these things are from sport bikes.
Much louder, too.

Was going to go for a long ride today to finish off the vacation week, but the rain isn't going to stop anytime soon.
Maybe next weekend.

cbtengr
08-25-2013, 18:45
Took it for a short ride last night.
Hadn't ridden a motorcycle in more than a decade.

Forgot how much different these things are from sport bikes.
Much louder, too.

Was going to go for a long ride today to finish off the vacation week, but the rain isn't going to stop anytime soon.
Maybe next weekend.

Just remember that there are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders, be safe and enjoy! And please do us a favor and send some of that rain our way :) .

SF_BHT
10-21-2018, 13:53
Time to reserect this thread.....

Who is riding and what is it? What are you doing on your rides? Bike tour photos!

I’ve been riding off and on since I was 12. Since being back in the states and in a state you can ride year round I started riding again to relax and get out of the house. Got a good deal on a V Star 950 and have been enjoying it a lot. Might have to go bigger as the long hauls to other places I want to see need more power and a little more comfort. Until then I will ge adding miles to this bike.

CDRODA396
10-21-2018, 17:27
I LITERALLY never rode a bike until April of this year when I took the BRC.

I have since picked up a BMW G650GS for me, and a Honda CB500X for my wife, both used, low mileage and couldn't pass up deals.

She loves the Honda, I am not enamored with the Thumper. We'll see how long she lasts, but I had no frame of reference before buying except the BRC bike and a few short test rides.

We have gotten up to hour, hour and a half rides to nearby state parks and day hikes before riding back.

The goal has always been to be ready to hit the Blue Ridge Parkway for a couple of days by mid-Nov for the fall color. I have an FTX through the 2nd, then it is most likely going to happen.

CW3SF
10-21-2018, 17:47
I love my Harley’s. I have a 2016 Low Rider and my son has a 2006 Night Train. I taught him to ride, got him in a riders course and picked up a second bike when he was 16. We have spent many, many days exploring the back roads and hills of Tennessee. It gave us a common hobby at a critical time in his development.

CW3SF
10-21-2018, 17:58
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdforums.com-vbulletin/2000x2000/80-img_0927_9c469384072321a38de7f76cfd3389ea6be4de7b. jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdforums.com-vbulletin/2000x2000/80-img_0094_b7a587e05b31d6637cb720b948a337d731d1cf49. jpg

cbtengr
10-21-2018, 19:04
I have two bikes a 1967 FLH and a 2013 Ultra Classic, guess which one I prefer? I have had Harleys since 1974 and until 2005 the 67 FLH was the newest HD I had ever owned.

SF_BHT
10-21-2018, 20:51
I LITERALLY never rode a bike until April of this year when I took the BRC.

I have since picked up a BMW G650GS for me, and a Honda CB500X for my wife, both used, low mileage and couldn't pass up deals.

She loves the Honda, I am not enamored with the Thumper. We'll see how long she lasts, but I had no frame of reference before buying except the BRC bike and a few short test rides.

We have gotten up to hour, hour and a half rides to nearby state parks and day hikes before riding back.

The goal has always been to be ready to hit the Blue Ridge Parkway for a couple of days by mid-Nov for the fall color. I have an FTX through the 2nd, then it is most likely going to happen.

For planning your trips check out Butler Motorcycle Maps. They have different ones by state and special areas. They are prepared for motorcycle riding and all of the routes are ridden and rated by riders. They are a great tool for picking routes.

Check out the link as they have great ones for your area.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Butler+Motorcycle+Maps

I am trying to ride all of the top ones here in NM.

mike-munich
10-22-2018, 00:27
Finally got rid of the R1200GS and got a '16 Softail Slim S. I have an adjustable exhaust system, so comply with German emission laws, a S&S stealth filter and a Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3. Added some custom covers and lettering to commemorate the WW2 Harley WLA.

Badger52
10-22-2018, 05:22
I have two bikes a 1967 FLH and a 2013 Ultra Classic, guess which one I prefer? I have had Harleys since 1974 and until 2005 the 67 FLH was the newest HD I had ever owned.
I was always a dirt-bike guy since a kid, although had a Bonneville for awhile as a young troop. I don't know shinola about Harleys but I like the one parked in front of your tractor. That's purty.

Some of the newer things I've seen these days appear to be:
IF actual Utility
THEN ugly unsculpted lines
ELSE beauty without rudimentary actual off-road function

Flagg
10-22-2018, 12:22
Time to reserect this thread.....

Who is riding and what is it? What are you doing on your rides? Bike tour photos!

I’ve been riding off and on since I was 12. Since being back in the states and in a state you can ride year round I started riding again to relax and get out of the house. Got a good deal on a V Star 950 and have been enjoying it a lot. Might have to go bigger as the long hauls to other places I want to see need more power and a little more comfort. Until then I will ge adding miles to this bike.

Spring and daylight savings recently arrived way down south here, so lots of riding lately.

3 rides this past week and 3 more planned for this upcoming week.

As an HD dealer, I’m lucky to be able to demo whatever is in the stable.

Most recently an FXDR.

But my favourite is the new Heritage. It’s a real sleeper.

Did a fair bit of riding back in August with a few Team guys while visiting San Diego.

The Heritage was hands down the best choice compared with the Fatboy swapping back and forth.

Flagg
10-22-2018, 12:24
I was always a dirt-bike guy since a kid, although had a Bonneville for awhile as a young troop. I don't know shinola about Harleys but I like the one parked in front of your tractor. That's purty.

Some of the newer things I've seen these days appear to be:
IF actual Utility
THEN ugly unsculpted lines
ELSE beauty without rudimentary actual off-road function

Sounds like Harley-Davidson’s upcoming Pan America to a T:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/future-vehicles/pan-america.html

Haven’t seen it up close and personal yet, but should see it next year.

Flagg
10-22-2018, 12:32
For planning your trips check out Butler Motorcycle Maps. They have different ones by state and special areas. They are prepared for motorcycle riding and all of the routes are ridden and rated by riders. They are a great tool for picking routes.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Butler+Motorcycle+Maps

My team and I have been building out a progressive web app called Porky.

https://porky.co

Not turn by turn navigation, more like a mashup of Tinder and Airbnb for Harley-Davidson Riders to “Find.Meet.Ride.”

Testing in NZ now(Ride mapping autofills only for NZ at moment)
If it scales, then Australia.
If it works in Oz, then US in 2019.

Met with H-D leadership in August. They are focused on turn by turn nav. We are focused exclusively on community to supplement/replace obsolete hub and spoke club systems like HOG.

Badger52
10-22-2018, 13:47
Sounds like Harley-Davidson’s upcoming Pan America to a T:
Pretty close; not as bad as some of the offerings that BMW has had over the years. I mean damn... it doesn't take that much to incorporate some pretty curves to a bike. Bultaco & Husky could do it... yeah, I'm a curmudgeon.
:cool:

Flagg
10-22-2018, 15:29
Pretty close; not as bad as some of the offerings that BMW has had over the years. I mean damn... it doesn't take that much to incorporate some pretty curves to a bike. Bultaco & Husky could do it... yeah, I'm a curmudgeon.
:cool:

It's a funny one about BMW.

They've been pretty ugly over the years(personal opinion) but they have the odd one lately that is eye catching.

About a decade ago I did an offroad event with a bunch of BMWs in attendance and a few water crossings.

A BMW fell during a deeper water crossing(upstream thankfully) right in front of me. Helped get it up and out after being submerged about 20 or so seconds....started up and kept going like the energiser bunny....

"Who's the U boat commander" was referenced a few times that night. :)

echoes
10-22-2018, 16:08
Have seen photos of Brave SF Men on Harley's...its just damn crazy, sexy and cool...all at once! :o:lifter

Just sayin', xoxo!

Holly

CDRODA396
10-22-2018, 17:45

Thanks for the link, the Southern Appalachia Map looks interesting for sure.

mike-munich
10-23-2018, 00:25
As an HD dealer, I’m lucky to be able to demo whatever is in the stable.

Flagg, can I contact you by PM about some NZ t-shirts? I have just a few "exotic" ones from a friend in 'Straya and another friend who works at HD of Saigon/Vietnam. NZ is missing on my list. :)

Cheers!

Flagg
10-23-2018, 05:21
Flagg, can I contact you by PM about some NZ t-shirts? I have just a few "exotic" ones from a friend in 'Straya and another friend who works at HD of Saigon/Vietnam. NZ is missing on my list. :)

Cheers!

Absolutely.

Please do.

mike-munich
10-23-2018, 08:59
Absolutely.

Please do.

Roger that. Cheers!

SF_BHT
10-26-2018, 13:08
today is a great day for a ride. Sunny and no wind

SF_BHT
10-26-2018, 13:14
Here are some photos from last weekends ride. Great day in the mountains and canyons.

Stopped over in Madrid

A little Bike art.

tst43
10-27-2018, 10:45
I love my Harley’s. I have a 2016 Low Rider and my son has a 2006 Night Train. I taught him to ride, got him in a riders course and picked up a second bike when he was 16. We have spent many, many days exploring the back roads and hills of Tennessee. It gave us a common hobby at a critical time in his development.

Would you consider adopting me? The coolest thing my father ever gave me was a used bicycle that would throw the chain if you went over 3 mph.

SF_BHT
05-20-2019, 14:36
Well finally got the new Bike. All I have to do now is get the add-ons and I will be ready for my long trips.....

Here she is when I got her off the road and on the dirt for the first time. Rides great but I do need to get 50-50 tires on her....

Prepping for that long ride through Central and south America......:D

Badger52
05-20-2019, 14:49
Well finally got the new Bike. Oh, HELL yeah!

Agree, those tires don't look to have much serious sojourn in them, although they probably pick up the milk & bread just fine.

Congrats! :D

Joker
05-20-2019, 20:05
Well finally got the new Bike. All I have to do now is get the add-ons and I will be ready for my long trips.....

Here she is when I got her off the road and on the dirt for the first time. Rides great but I do need to get 50-50 tires on her....

Prepping for that long ride through Central and south America......:D

Looks great Brother. Go out and have a load of fun.