PDA

View Full Version : Microdiscectomy and MEPS

4StringSlinger
05-13-2008, 13:25
Gentlemen,

After a couple of months of ignoring sciatic pain in my left leg, I ruptured my L5/S1 disc on a run one morning. After doing some research, and getting a couple of opinions, a Neurosurgeon here in Dallas recommended Microdiscectomy, so I elected to have the procedure three weeks ago. So far all is well, and I feel 100% better. Doc says I should be 100% in another 3 weeks, and that 90% of patients never have another problem with the disc afterwards.

I know back problems are common in your line of work, and from performing a search I see at least a couple of QP's have had this procedure done as well.

I was looking at going the NG route here in TX in September, and I am wondering if this will DQ me at MEPs.

Thanks in advance.

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-13-2008, 16:11
I'm a retired QP with19 years in Group time and my knees are worse than my back. I went to school after I retired and just retired again from doing 15 years of Physical therapy . You should do well if you put much time in on Core strengthening. Core, core, core, that is the little known savior of the back. You must focus on the Transverse Abdominis muscle. It's a small muscle but is highly important for good back strength and protection. Crunches don't get it . Strengthen the Abdominus first then go to crunches and other Abd work. Just research some TA exercises. Dave (blitz):lifter

Kaibil68
05-13-2008, 16:56
Besides the very important advice from Blitzzz one thing is that your recruiter has the opportunity to call the MEPS's medical section using the Dial a Medic. He or she knows that it is available and the medical personnel can answer questions regarding if your condition warrants PDQ (Permanent Disqualification) or not. Either way the CMO (Chief Medical Officer) would probably ask for all medical records regarding your condition and request both a Radiological and an Ortho Consult to evaluate you.

4StringSlinger
05-13-2008, 17:13
Thanks so much for the info, gentlemen.

wiwarrior
05-15-2008, 10:06
I had the l5-s1 microdisctomy back in 97. 100% since then no problems. Still run, lift and ruck. Needed waiver to get my commission from the guard. Currently a police officer and no problems w/ gunbelt or other back issues.

The Reaper
05-15-2008, 10:17
I had the l5-s1 microdisctomy back in 97. 100% since then no problems. Still run, lift and ruck. Needed waiver to get my commission from the guard. Currently a police officer and no problems w/ gunbelt or other back issues.

You need to re-read your registration message and comply before posting again.

TR

4StringSlinger
01-22-2009, 10:16
Just a quick update, submitted a waiver back in October and just now found out from the recruiter that it was denied, no reason specified. The recruiter has been evasive and slow to respond up to this point, and is now saying 'I can't help you, you should look at the active side, thanks for your interest.'

Even though this recruiter was recommended by 19th for my AO, I'm wondering if I should speak with the guys at the unit and possibly get a contact for another recruiter. I should also mention that when he picked me up from MEPS after taking the ASVAB, I could swear I smelled weed in the car, and he was acting like he was high. I've been underwhelmed with his performance, to say the least.

Once again, thanks for your time gentlemen.