PDA

View Full Version : Combat Vets to Receive VA Medical Care

Razor
05-13-2008, 12:10
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 26, 2008

Five Years of VA Health Care for Combat Veterans

Peake: Honoring Commitment to Newest Combat Veterans

WASHINGTON – Military veterans who served in combat since Nov. 11, 1998, including veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan, are now eligible for five years of free medical care for most conditions from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). This measure increases a two-year limit that has been in effect nearly a decade.

“By their service and their sacrifice, America’s newest combat veterans have earned this special eligibility period for VA’s world-class health care,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Dr. James B. Peake. The five-year deadline has no effect upon veterans with medical conditions related to their military service. Veterans may apply at any time after their discharge from the military -- even decades later -- for medical care for service-connected health problems.

The new provision, part of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2008 signed by President Bush on Jan. 28, 2008, applies to care in a VA hospital, outpatient clinic or nursing home. It also extends VA dental benefits -- previously limited to 90 days after discharge for most veterans -- to 180 days. Combat veterans who were discharged between Nov. 11, 1998 and Jan. 16, 2003, and who never took advantage of VA’s health care system, have until Jan. 27, 2011 to qualify for free VA health care. The five-year window is also open to activated Reservists and members of the National Guard, if they served in a theater of combat operations after Nov. 11, 1998 and were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.

Veterans who take advantage of this five-year window to receive VA health care can continue to receive care after five years, although they may have to pay copayments for medical problems unrelated to their military service. Copayments range from $8 for a 30-day supply of prescription medicine to $1,024 for the first 90 days of inpatient care each year.

# # #

CDRODA396
05-13-2008, 12:32
...for VA’s world-class health care,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Dr. James B. Peake.

I'd have to say that is a hit and miss statement.

Razor
05-13-2008, 17:06
Absolutely. I've been fortunate at Denver's VAMC, but I know that level of care isn't universal. If nothing else, this offer serves as a good "fall back" plan.

The Reaper
05-13-2008, 19:17
I'd have to say that is a hit and miss statement.

I laughed when I read it.

I don't think anyone who has been in the Fayetteville VA would describe it as "World Class," from the facility to the attitude of the people working there.

One of my co-workers just recently retired and said when he went there to inprocess, the people inprocessing new patients were moving at a snail's pace and treated him rudely as an interruption to their social schedule.

That parallels my experience with most clinics there.

TR

Razor
05-13-2008, 21:51
All the more reason for you to move to CO, TR. :D

QRQ 30
05-14-2008, 08:13
I have never received other than good, courteous and prompt treatment from the VA.