Roguish Lawyer
05-17-2004, 16:15
What does this phrase refer to?

Hint: I used the wrong language.

Second question once the first is figured out (and another hint, I suppose):

Which one do you think is the best?

Air.177
05-17-2004, 16:23
Does it refer to the dipper constellations? Big and little?

Ambush Master
05-17-2004, 16:47
Little/small Water. Similar to Aguas Calientes=Hot Water !!

Roguish Lawyer
05-17-2004, 17:00
Originally posted by Ambush Master
Little/small Water. Similar to Aguas Calientes=Hot Water !!

Correct translation to English, but that's not the language that gives you the answer.

"Little water."

DanUCSB
05-17-2004, 17:29
I'll grab, and say Absolut. Whyever would Dan say that?

No, it's not the best, but that's not the only factor. My criteria are, that it's the best of the cheap vodkas, and the cheapest of the decent ones. :D

Ambush Master
05-17-2004, 17:34
Agua=Agua
Poquino=Poquito
Italian, Spanish.

Air.177
05-17-2004, 17:35
Originally posted by DanUCSB

No, it's not the best, but that's not the only factor. My criteria are, that it's the best of the cheap vodkas, and the cheapest of the decent ones. :D

I like the way this man thinks, I'll go with his answer.

Air.177
05-17-2004, 17:36
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Hint: I used the wrong language.

I think he was trying to throw us off with the Spanish/Italian angle

Roguish Lawyer
05-17-2004, 20:38
Originally posted by DanUCSB

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. And I thought it would be someone from 10th Group . . .

Vodka, literally translated from Russian, means "little water."

OK, second question. Is Gaucho correct that Absolut is the best vodka?

Roguish Lawyer
05-17-2004, 21:08
Aren't you required to develop vodka expertise in 10th Group? Razor?

Solid
05-18-2004, 01:13
Absolut is good, and comes from the Fine Kingdom of Sweden (like many other good things), but does not stand up to smaller-scale, more expensive local mixes. If I could remember their names (they were very good), I wouldn't be able to type them because this keyboard lacks cyrillics.

Solid

Radar Rider
05-18-2004, 04:27
Is Gaucho correct that Absolut is the best vodka? Not sure, but I know that Groucho is the best Marx Brother. :D

Roguish Lawyer
05-18-2004, 08:00
Vodka used to be my preferred spirit, but bourbon took over years ago so it is now an occasional thing.

I have always been a Stoli guy (was drinking it before it was widely distributed), but I have not been able to try the various Russian brands not widely distributed in the US. I also like Wyborova (sp?).

I will admit that I sampled Grey Goose once. It's OK, but I won't buy it. Haven't tried all the new brands that have come out (or been more widely distributed) recently just because I don't drink as much vodka, but Belvedere and Chopin are supposed to be good.

There has got to be at least one guy here who has spent time in Russia or Poland sampling the real thing. Fess up!

Razor
05-18-2004, 09:05
If you've spent any time in Eastern Europe/Russia, you'd know that the quality of vodka is a far, far distant second to the quantity in social situations, especially when drinking with the military and locals. I distinctly remember one night where the vodka (can't recall the brand, but it was Macedonian) came in little drink boxes, much like the juice for kids here. Only thing worse was slivo.

Valhal
05-19-2004, 10:02
Vodka used to be my preferred spirit, but bourbon took over years ago so it is now an occasional thing.

I have always been a Stoli guy (was drinking it before it was widely distributed), but I have not been able to try the various Russian brands not widely distributed in the US. I also like Wyborova (sp?).

I will admit that I sampled Grey Goose once. It's OK, but I won't buy it. Haven't tried all the new brands that have come out (or been more widely distributed) recently just because I don't drink as much vodka, but Belvedere and Chopin are supposed to be good.

There has got to be at least one guy here who has spent time in Russia or Poland sampling the real thing. Fess up!

I lived in Russia 4 months. Stoli was the little water of choice. Actually I can't remember seeing any other brand. In thoose days you could buy a bottle for $1.
I agree with you Bourbon ( Makers's Mark) or a good 12yr or better Scotch is my poison of choice now.
Nastroviya

NousDefionsDoc
05-19-2004, 20:41
Aren't you required to develop vodka expertise in 10th Group? Razor?

Might as well, they can't shoot.:lifter

Razor
05-20-2004, 12:53
Why shoot when you're so slick you can convince anyone to do the shooting for you?

Roguish Lawyer
05-20-2004, 14:14
Originally posted by Razor
If you've spent any time in Eastern Europe/Russia, you'd know that the quality of vodka is a far, far distant second to the quantity in social situations, especially when drinking with the military and locals. I distinctly remember one night where the vodka (can't recall the brand, but it was Macedonian) came in little drink boxes, much like the juice for kids here. Only thing worse was slivo.

Unfortunately, I've only been to Czechoslovakia, Hungary and East Berlin, and purely as a tourist. I do have a friend who emigrated here from Russia, and I've seen this in action at get-togethers his family has invited me to: shot glasses are part of the place setting, and full bottles of vodka every other place setting. Quite a party!