PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Advice

Kyobanim
05-09-2008, 16:50
I've been looking into getting a bike for several years. Now that gas is costing me over 150 a month just to get to work, I think the time is here. I haven't ridden in over 35 years so I'm looking for something simple. I found a bike by Buell called the blast. http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/blast/blast/features.asp. Price is right as well as economy, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with this one or have any suggestions?

lksteve
05-09-2008, 17:32
Does anyone have any experience with this one or have any suggestions?My opinion is that you will outgrow a Blast pretty soon...500cc isn't that much motor...on the upside, a Blast gets something north of 70mpg...I'm thinking a Blast would be good for a new rider, especially a small woman or man...I'm 5'8" and 160ish and feel a bit cramped on one...

What did you ride before the hiatus...? A Jap bike, a Brit bike...? When I started riding again, after not quite as long a break as you, I got a Sportster because it was most like what I was used to riding (15-20 year old muscle memory still counts for something)...

Buells are good bikes...I might opt for a XB9...a little more engine, a little more versatile (more highway friendly) and probably a little better resale...

You might ask on the SFMC website, too...heck, you may encounter someone who has a used bike for sale..

My $0.02...

Kyobanim
05-09-2008, 17:54
Last bike was Suzuki 250, 1968 vintage.

I'm 5'7" 140 lbs wet. I think I started looking at this because it's similar in profile and physical size.

lksteve
05-09-2008, 17:56
Last bike was Suzuki 250, 1968 vintage.

I'm 5'7" 140 lbs wet. I think I started looking at this because it's similar in profile and physical size.That being the case, you are probably on the right track...I know the Blast is very reasonable, and 70 mpg is pretty hard to snort at with gas north of $4/gallon...the Blast will be a lot more powerful than a '68 Suzuki...

echoes
05-09-2008, 20:38
I've been looking into getting a bike for several years.

Kyo,

Men on bikes= A good thing! More should ride IMHO, as Bikes add character to Our highways and by-ways. :lifter

Holly

Lanyard
05-09-2008, 22:15
I am very partial to the K series but my next one will be one of the dual purpose R series. While they are expensive if you break it down by the mile it's usually cheaper. 100k miles on a BMW is pretty common. The only bummer is no European delivery.

SnwMnkys
05-09-2008, 23:01
Do you have a certain style of bike you are more partial to? I believe there are quite a few Harley riders on this sight, but if you are at all into the Sport bikes then maybe i can lend some advice.

Here are both my Ducati 748 and Suzuki TL1000R.

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/7562/ducandtlvp3.jpg

The Reaper
05-10-2008, 07:51
Do you have a certain style of bike you are more partial to? I believe there are quite a few Harley riders on this sight, but if you are at all into the Sport bikes then maybe i can lend some advice.

Here are both my Ducati 748 and Suzuki TL1000R.

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/7562/ducandtlvp3.jpg

Buying a Ducati to save money on gas is like getting married for the sex.

TR

lksteve
05-10-2008, 08:19
Here are both my Ducati 748 and Suzuki TL1000R.Nice bikes, but my back doesn't go there anymore...and I agree with TR regardings Ducks and mileage...

SnwMnkys
05-10-2008, 08:53
Understandable. Maybe look into the FZ1000 or Honda 919. They are pretty upright and more relaxed , but still good performers.

I get 50mpg on the Duc, but the $1000 you have to spend on valve service every 6k miles greatly offsets everything. :(

lksteve
05-10-2008, 09:00
I get 50mpg on the Duc, but the $1000 you have to spend on valve service every 6k miles greatly offsets everything. Isn't that a gear driven overhead cam valve train or did they finally abandon that madness...?

Kyobanim
05-10-2008, 09:01
I'm 53 and have no no real need for speed. Just a comfortable ride. They are nice looking bikes though.

SnwMnkys
05-10-2008, 11:24
Isn't that a gear driven overhead cam valve train or did they finally abandon that madness...?

They still use the Desmodromic valve train, and dont see them ever ditching it. No valve springs, just rockers opening and closing the valves. Hence the valve adjustment interval nightmare.

lksteve
05-10-2008, 11:29
They still use the Desmodromic valve train, and dont see them ever ditching it. No valve springs, just rockers opening and closing the valves. Hence the valve adjustment interval nightmare.I thought about buying a Duck when I was much younger and the Desmo valves were still pretty new...I ran into a guy that had one and he mentioned that he spent nearly as much time doing valve work as he did riding...I bought a Norton and became one with Lucas, Prince of Darkness...:D

The Reaper
05-10-2008, 15:09
...I bought a Norton and became one with Lucas, Prince of Darkness...:D

I remember him well, from my Triumph days.

TR

lksteve
05-10-2008, 15:15
I remember him well, from my Triumph days.True...along with Amal carburetors...you could tell you were out of gas when the carbs quit leaking...:rolleyes:

SOGvet
05-11-2008, 08:33
Check out the latest Triumph Bonneville. I've had one since '02 (I'currently own seven bikes) and I have to say that dollar-for-dollar, a Bonnie is probably one of the best m/c's available.

The motors are bulletproof, they'll keep up with freeway traffic, they're cheap to own, they're extremely fun and easy to ride, and there are lots of accessories available to "individualize" the bike to your own personal tastes.

The only drawback, if there is one, is that they're chain drive. But, with proper care, a chain will last 20,000+ miles.

Oh, and FWIW, my son and my daughter both ride "new" Bonnies. :cool:

exsquid
05-11-2008, 10:01
Check out a BMW F650GS. The twin sparks motors are getting in the 65mpg range and they are fun to ride.

x/S

azmg
05-11-2008, 17:42
Check out a BMW F650GS. The twin sparks motors are getting in the 65mpg range and they are fun to ride.

x/S

As an R 1200 GSA rider I agree 100% with the 650 being an excellent commuter/fun machine with exceptional mileage. If you're not adverse to riding a larger bike the R 1200 GS is also a great machine and will average about 50-55 mpg while in commuting duty and slightly less at highway speeds (80 ish). Good luck in finding something that suits you.

HOLLiS
05-11-2008, 21:54
Bikes are fun but. Depending on where you live can really change that. Weather has a big impact, other vehicles and cost.

A car can get 30 MPG, a bike say is double that 60 MPG. Bike cost $10,000. As you mention your spending $150/mo. Cutting your fuel down in half, fuel will cost $75.00 Per month. You have to ride 133 1/3 months to break even. $5,000 bike still over 5 years to break even.

Also on a bike you need protective clothing. A wiggle on a car can be major body rash on a bike.

I have had 1 Honda and two Harleys. One Harley I road every day when I lived in So. Calif. In Oregon, maybe 90 - 120 days a year is decent to ride.

Other aspect is hauling things. I had side hacks for both Harleys.

Also factoring out fuel cost Vs new car payments, may make that old car worth keeping.

Also we all went through this in the late 70's early 80's. IMHO Fuel economy is only one factor of many to determine what ride to buy.

Ambush Master
05-12-2008, 14:13
Check out the latest Triumph Bonneville. I've had one since '02 (I'currently own seven bikes) and I have to say that dollar-for-dollar, a Bonnie is probably one of the best m/c's available.

The motors are bulletproof, they'll keep up with freeway traffic, they're cheap to own, they're extremely fun and easy to ride, and there are lots of accessories available to "individualize" the bike to your own personal tastes.

The only drawback, if there is one, is that they're chain drive. But, with proper care, a chain will last 20,000+ miles.

Oh, and FWIW, my son and my daughter both ride "new" Bonnies. :cool:

Chris,
Which Model Bonnevilles?? T100s or plain Bonnies??

Red Flag 1
05-13-2008, 22:35
HOLLiS,

Like your math exercise! I did this with my daughter when we bought her a 06 Honda Civic. The MPG math for the hybrid did not see a break even point until after about 4 yrs. With gas prices now, the break even point comes a bit faster.

Been thinking of bikes for some time now and the big Hondas (Gold Wings) look great for just weekends on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Never had one but really looking hard now. I guess the fun factor in riding is hard to compute. There was no fun factor in computing for a Honda Civic hybrid.

Your thoughts kind sir.

RF 1

Maytime
05-14-2008, 03:37
As a commuting bike, that gets good mileage and is easy on the bones, I would recommend a metric cruiser. I had a Yamaha Virago 750 (predecessor of the V-Star) and it was great on gas (50-55mpg IIRC), and it was very comfortable on long rides (I'm 5'11" 180lbs). Also, they won't break the bank new or used, and are very low-maintenance.

$0.02

GratefulCitizen
06-20-2008, 21:28
Bikes are fun but. Depending on where you live can really change that. Weather has a big impact, other vehicles and cost.

A car can get 30 MPG, a bike say is double that 60 MPG. Bike cost $10,000. As you mention your spending $150/mo. Cutting your fuel down in half, fuel will cost $75.00 Per month. You have to ride 133 1/3 months to break even. $5,000 bike still over 5 years to break even.

Also on a bike you need protective clothing. A wiggle on a car can be major body rash on a bike.

I have had 1 Honda and two Harleys. One Harley I road every day when I lived in So. Calif. In Oregon, maybe 90 - 120 days a year is decent to ride.

Other aspect is hauling things. I had side hacks for both Harleys.

Also factoring out fuel cost Vs new car payments, may make that old car worth keeping.

Also we all went through this in the late 70's early 80's. IMHO Fuel economy is only one factor of many to determine what ride to buy.

Did some calculating on this stuff.

Buying a vehicle with the primary purpose of fuel savings is generally not cost effective, even at present gas prices.

One caveat: if you are selling one vehicle and buying another it may result in a net financial gain and be economically neutral where depreciation is concerned.
However, a net economic gain vis-a-vis relative depreciation is unlikely unless you buy/sell autos professionally.

Due to some company shenanigans, my present commute is 266 miles/day, 5 days/week. :rolleyes: :boohoo

I bought a cheap little commuter car so there would be sufficient redundancy among the commuting part of my "fleet".
(Sort of an insurance policy to protect my earning power and mitigate potential losses associated with unforseen transportation woes)

The original commuter (now backup) would typically get ~31 mpg.
(33.5 was possible with enough hypermiling nonsense, but I like my air-conditioning)

The cost to purchase the new primary commuter and bring it to a similar state of repair to the original commuter was ~$3500.

With a little redneck engineering and some attentive driving, the new commuter gets ~55mpg.
(I'm hoping to get it set up for 60mpg before my vacation ends, but the stupid OBD-II is making that difficult)

At $4.10/gallon, the money saved on fuel is ~$15/day.
For this average price of fuel, it will be 230+ workdays and 60k+miles before it pays for itself.

-There are probably few people who commute this far.
-Gasoline is quite expensive. (My bet is prices will drop significantly in September)
-The purchase was relatively cheap.
-The fuel economy of the new commuter is superb.

Even with all of these factors, the gas-sipper is not saving me much money in the long run.
(Though in my case it's worth it for other reasons)

For most people, the biggest expense associated with a vehicle purchase is depreciation.
Licensing, insurance, and financing would probably come in second.
Fuel economy should have lower priority when deciding on a vehicle purchase.

Automakers and salesmen want you to focus on the financial aspect of a purchase.
Most people would be better served to look at the economic aspect.

-My .02
(which is enough to go 1/4 mile :lifter)