PDA

View Full Version : Alzheimers.....

greenberetTFS
05-07-2008, 15:35
About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with an early stage of Alzheimers at the VA facility....I've haven't gotten a second opinion yet,still dealing with what they told me.....Any advice on how to deal with it would be appreciated.....

The Reaper
05-07-2008, 15:43
I hope that it is not and will pray for your good health.

TR

CPTAUSRET
05-07-2008, 16:00
I hope that it is not and will pray for your good health.

TR

I echo TR's sentiments! Although it's not her field, I'll run this by my wife and see if she has any advice.

C0B2A
05-07-2008, 17:35
prayers on the way

Eagle5US
05-07-2008, 17:50
We all offer prayers no doubt...in the mean time, you may want to begin some planning.

If you do not already own a video camera, pick one up and begin a video journal. Everyday things, everyday acquaintances, important memories, things that mean the most to you and those around you, and the things that are seemingly meaningless.
Things that seem mundane to you now may be those very things that preserve your connection to moments, feelings or memories of times gone by.
Bring someone you trust into your financial situation and explain to them what you want out of your financial future. I do not know your personal situation, but I do know of a friend who has a parent with Alzheimers, and he has had to spend thousands in legal fees to prevent other siblings from squandering the patient's assets.

I do hope that science can offer you an element of comfort or relief through your diagnosis and disease...in the meantime, offer your heart some solace and begin to document your life.
Who you are, what made you the man of today. Your own precious memories will make the best Reality TV.

My absolute best to you.

Joe

mdb23
05-07-2008, 18:12
I wish you the absolute best, and hope that a misdiagnosis has been made. In the meantime, here is a link to the Alzheimer Association's MS Chapter.

http://www.alz.org/ms/

There is contact info, as well as a list of the services provided by the organization. I have some experience with this illness (family member), and know that they can be of help, especially when first confronted with a diagnosis.

Medicine is a constantly changing entity. Something new is discovered everyday, new drugs, treatments, etc. Never lose hope.

Take care, Sir.

JJ_BPK
05-07-2008, 18:21
I hope the VA was wrong about your diagnoses,,

I would strongly suggest you ask around and find a good Neurologist,, do the tests, ask lots of questions,, then make your plans..

What ever the big guy has planned for you,, you need your own..

I understand there are some new drugs that forestall the effects of brain aging.

My mother is 87 and she has self diagnosed herself as also in the early stages. I am not sure, she is forgetful and tends to speak of the past, but generally keeps up with current news topics. and doesn't forget new acquiesces.. She is/was an RN,, and a butt-headed one at that. Doesn't want to "bother". As she is blind (cataracts, macular degeneration, glaucoma), I already manage her accounts.

My only problem is our location. Should the need arise, there are no transitional living facilities in the Keys. The closes good ones are in Miama,, 150 miles away..

My sympathy,,
Don't wait,,
Get a plan,,
Good Luck,,

swatsurgeon
05-07-2008, 19:33
About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with an early stage of Alzheimers at the VA facility....I've haven't gotten a second opinion yet,still dealing with what they told me.....Any advice on how to deal with it would be appreciated.....

A few things....
- agree with second opinion, absolutely.
- second, Eagle's advice is right on....
- re-train the brain, maintain the highest level of mental and physical fitness, - - - avoid tobacco and other things that interfere with circulation.
make out an advanced directive: email me and I will send you a great one that covers that end of the spectrum. Please understand that I offer this to 20 year olds so that their wishes, while they can make them known, can be followed and honored by their loved ones when the patient can no longer make "good" decisions for themselves. I am proud of the one we have developed and I have mine filled out,as does my entire family. Be sure to discuss your wishes with your family so that they have no 'burden' of making decisions for you...whenever the need arises. Alzheimers is a progressive disease, it doesn't just happen all at once....people can remain 'status quo' for prolonged periods of time.

Best of luck, and do email me for the document....

ss

bluenote
05-07-2008, 19:39
Everyone experiences normal memory loss with age and the VA isn't known for their stellar diagnoses. Hopefully this is nothing out of the ordinary and the VA is jumping to conclusions.

If indeed it is Alzheimers, gather the people you love around you and tell them everything you would want to tell them as if it was the last time you would ever see them. Encourage them to tell you the same. If the doctor prescribes medicine, take it. Get new glasses and hearing aides so you can see and hear people well. Talk to enough people every day so you don't feel "lonely". Try to read a small bit of the newspaper every day. And try to get quality sleep at night instead of the day.

Every day I wake up and go take care of the smartest, most amazing man I have ever known. I only wished he would have let me know when he was diagnosed with the disease so I could have talked with him one last time. That man is my father. I love him and always will.

I commend you on your courage to talk about it and to seek help. I pray your second opinion rules out Alzheimers and shows everthing is fine. If I can be of any further assistance, to you or family members with questions, let me know. BN

swatsurgeon
05-08-2008, 08:27
Here is the version, in pdf, of the advanced directive I use and give out. Again, this is one part of the equation, you should discuss your wishes with your family so there is no confusion when the time comes to following your wishes (medically speaking). Any questions, please ask me......

ss

greenberetTFS
05-08-2008, 15:25
I really appreciate the information that was given to me by you guys....All of you came thru for me,and I want you to know it's good to feel that support....I've set up my appointment for that second opinion,however I'd be lying if I said I'm not worried...I'm not going to sleep too well until it's over....Again,thanks.

Ted

greenberetTFS
05-09-2008, 12:18
I wish you the absolute best, and hope that a misdiagnosis has been made. In the meantime, here is a link to the Alzheimer Association's MS Chapter.

http://www.alz.org/ms/

There is contact info, as well as a list of the services provided by the organization. I have some experience with this illness (family member), and know that they can be of help, especially when first confronted with a diagnosis.

Medicine is a constantly changing entity. Something new is discovered everyday, new drugs, treatments, etc. Never lose hope.

Take care, Sir.

Thanks,mdb23....I've already been in touch with them,but appreciate the support..

Ted

greenberetTFS
05-20-2008, 11:52

Just informed on my 2nd opinion that it's not Alzhemiers...It is however an Alzeimers-like condition based on the meds I take which are narcotics for my back,headache,sleeping and depression.They said that the VA missed the obvious and if I wanted to start improving my memory I should cut back on the drugs...I may just do that...Thanks again for the support.

Ted

JJ_BPK
05-20-2008, 11:57
Just informed on my 2nd opinion that it's not Alzhemiers...
Ted

Fantastic,, 2nd opinions, when talking to the VA, are very good ideas...

Sdiver
05-20-2008, 12:22
Just informed on my 2nd opinion that it's not Alzhemiers...It is however an Alzeimers-like condition based on the meds I take which are narcotics for my back,headache,sleeping and depression.They said that the VA missed the obvious and if I wanted to start improving my memory I should cut back on the drugs...I may just do that...Thanks again for the support.

Ted

Ted,
That's GREAT news. Keep us informed on your progression with the change in your meds.

All the best to ya.

kgoerz
05-20-2008, 13:13

Ted

Holy Crap, Great news. Is Alzheimer's misdiagnosed often. I was taking Pain Pills for about a year straight awhile back. When I finally quit taking them regularly it was waking up after a long comma.
All though necessary in a lot of cases. Doctors these days seem to hand out Narcotics like free candy. Hope all go's well for you here on out.

Gypsy
05-20-2008, 16:21
I've been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, so glad to read your second opinion was good news!

Red Flag 1
05-20-2008, 17:03
TFS,

Big scare! Great news on the 2nd opinion. Prayers out for you and your family.

RF 1

bandycpa
05-20-2008, 21:10
Continued prayers out to you. Glad the second opinion was the right opinion.

Bandy

CPTAUSRET
05-21-2008, 09:08
That's great to hear, really great!

I ran this by my wife, Nancy is a Neuroscientist. She thought you were given excellent advice and had nothing new to offer. She will will be happy that you have received good news.

mdb23
05-21-2008, 13:09
Holy Crap, Great news. Is Alzheimer's misdiagnosed often.

Unfortunately, yes.

Great news, Sir.