PDA

View Full Version : Hand Issue

Ambush Master
05-02-2008, 21:26
OK, here goes!!

Last night I noticed a "lump" on my left hand between the thumb and Index Finger. It is located adjacent to the proximal phalanges of the second joint from the tip, closer to the Bone of the Thumb than the Index Finger. It also does not appear to be associated with the skin, it is a hard lump that feels like it is imbedded in the connective tissue of the joint i.e the bursa.

I noticed it last night after I gave the Dogs their HeartGuard medication. As I was getting the meds out from under the counter, a beetle of some sort fell on the floor. I squished it and picked it up in a tissue. A couple of hours later, the site started to have a sort of tingily feeling, that was what called my attention to it. I dug the "Beetle" out of the trash and looked for Spiders. No Joy!! No spiders were found.

I took several "Benadryl" Generic Brand before I went to bed and I felt OK this AM. The site still feels bad when manipulated, but does not restrict the range of motion or the ability to use the hand.

Any Ideas??? THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!

Red Flag 1
05-03-2008, 16:07
if it worth saying, it will be quoted.

Cynic
05-03-2008, 17:23
Is this bump on the back of your hand or the palmer aspect?

A common lump on the back of the hand that might go unnoticed until you bump it is a carpal boss. You usually don't need to do anything for a boss (insert joke here) but a bite might need medical attention. Keep a close eye for swelling, redness, fever, etc.

Personally, a beetle falling out of my cupboard would have given me a heart attack! :D

Ambush Master
05-03-2008, 18:13
Is this bump on the back of your hand or the palmer aspect?

A common lump on the back of the hand that might go unnoticed until you bump it is a carpal boss. You usually don't need to do anything for a boss (insert joke here) but a bite might need medical attention. Keep a close eye for swelling, redness, fever, etc.

Personally, a beetle falling out of my cupboard would have given me a heart attack! :D

It is on the back, or upper side, palm down. C, you would not fair well on the Gulf Coast of Texas, there are Bugs down there that have "N" Numbers on them!!!:D

Later
Martin

Cynic
05-03-2008, 18:49
C, you would not fair well on the Gulf Coast of Texas, there are Bugs down there that have "N" Numbers on them!!!:D

:eek: Yikes!

Keep watch to make sure it is not related to a bite or infection or growing.

If it is a carpal boss, some surgeons remove them. If it doesn't change or bother you, probably no intervention is required.

Ambush Master
05-03-2008, 20:10
:eek: Yikes!

C, you do understand the previous reference to an "N" number??

Take care.
Martin

Penn
05-03-2008, 21:24
That would be ...N oooo GO left turn to base

AM on the lump I had a (Excuse the spelling) a Gangula it was a lump, that was hard in the joint of my wrist. It was from knife use.
Repetitive motion.

Cynic
05-03-2008, 21:27
I figured you meant bugs big enough to require an air craft registration number? :confused:

In Michigan we have mosquitoes that might qualify. I don't want to know about beetles that big.

AMP
05-05-2008, 13:53
I was watching a video where a guy got bite in the face by a brown recluse spider. Nasty s**t, he was in one of the phases of Ranger training. Brown recluse spider bite can be big trouble.

x-factor
05-05-2008, 16:24
I've got a similar lump inside my right wrist. No doubt from a life of using computers for both work and play. Like Penn said, its from repetitive motion: knitters, chefs, woodworkers, etc. Its only visible when flex my wrist (like at the end of a basketball shot or when throwing a football) and it varies in size a little bit.

I believe its called a ganglion cyst, but is known colloquially as a "Gideon cyst" or "Bible bump" because a common home remedy is to whack it with a heavy book, like a Gideon Bible, to try and burst the cyst. (I have tried this MANY times, but no joy.)

When the orthopedist was checking out my injured finger (like a mentioned in the Weapons Training thread, its been a bad year for my hands), I asked him about the cyst. He said it was an easy fix (basically you just poke it with a big needle) and he'd be happy to do it, but it might come back, so if its not inhibiting activity there's really no reason to mess with it. So until it effects either my spiral, my shot, or my groupings, I'm just leaving it be.

Red Flag 1
05-05-2008, 19:11
AM,

Ambush Master
05-05-2008, 19:20
It has gone down a great deal and the lump is firmer and not as squishy (without uncomfotable feeling/pain associated with it). I think it was some sort of bite and my Honeybee based part of my immune system has dealt with it!! I was a serious beekeeper back in the '60s and have been stung thousands of times. They don't even sting, they just itch. Mosquitos hardly ever bite me and when they do they never itch.

Later
Martin

Red Flag 1
05-05-2008, 19:29
if it worth saying, it will be quoted.

Ambush Master
05-05-2008, 19:38
If there is scarring, it will be subcutaneous, in the connective tissue. I'm still watching it .

Later
Martin

clapdoc
05-05-2008, 19:59
We also have those big bugs in Ms. that you have in Texas.

This bite was from a bug that injected the venom into the center of the bite. the squishy part that you feel is in the center and is the pocket of venom/irritation.
This bite will react to your sensitivity to the venom injected.

If the lump does not go down within the next 3 days, have a Dr. look at it, you have lived thru too much to have a bug bite put you down now.

clapdoc sends.

Cynic
05-06-2008, 07:46
Keep watching that lump.
Curiosity led me to some insect sleuthing. If you lined up all the plant and animal species side by side, every fifth one would be some kind of beetle. Most don't bite, but some do. And one species produces a substance cantharidin, which if it penetrates the skin can cause skin necrosis. A reaction similar to the bite of brown recluse spiders.
If anything looks iffy, get yourself to the doctor.
And something I definitely didn't need to know is that centipedes can bite. Sweet dreams! :rolleyes:

The Reaper
05-06-2008, 07:49
Keep watching that lump.
Curiosity led me to some insect sleuthing. If you lined up all the plant and animal species side by side, every fifth one would be some kind of beetle. Most don't bite, but some do. And one species produces a substance cantharidin, which if it penetrates the skin can cause skin necrosis. A reaction similar to the bite of brown recluse spiders.
If anything looks iffy, get yourself to the doctor.
And something I definitely didn't need to know is that centipedes can bite. Sweet dreams! :rolleyes:

Centipedes can and WILL light your ass up.

No poisonous snakes in Hawaii, but they have centipedes almost as big that love to chomp on humans. The ones that got me felt a lot like a hornet sting. Some people can have a bad reaction to the bites.

Good luck with your hand, AM.

TR

Ambush Master
05-06-2008, 19:03
The thing has diminished a great deal and there are no signs of necrosis!!

It's Hide and Watch, Wait and See time!!

Cynic
05-15-2008, 10:30
Just saw this in the news and wondered how your hand was?

This photo (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080514/capt.024ab05a90b2446585441395b8a30cf4.giant_beetle s_seized_paws101.jpg?x=400&y=297&sig=8BX3Tcn9CZ7_qq4AfM6UoA--) released Wednesday, May 14, 2008, by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency shows one of the more than two dozen giant beetles seized from a package after workers at a Mohnton, Pa., postal facility heard the insects making scratching noises. The large bugs arrived last week from Taiwan in a box whose contents were labeled as toys, gifts and jellies.
(AP Photo/U.S. Customs and Border Protection)