PDA

View Full Version : Rangers going to an 18x type program??

AngelsSix
05-01-2008, 22:21
I heard some little punk talking all this junk about how he was going to join the Army and be a bad ass. This is after he said that he used to do drugs and was clean now for two months (not believing that garbage). At any rate, what got my attention is that he told me the Army is letting kids go straight from boot to AIT to Ranger school. Any truth to this?? If it had come from someone else I might have believed it......maybe.

the squid
05-02-2008, 04:23
I'm no expert, so take this for what it's worth, but it's highly likely that if he's got an Option 40 contract, the stupid kid is either A) lying to his friends about RS or B) a civilian confusing the difference between RIP (where he would be going to get into the 75th) and Ranger School (where he'd eventually go to get tabbed).

sleepyhead4
05-02-2008, 23:45
At least few years ago you had to be E4 and above to go to Ranger School from a regular army unit and E3 and above from the 75th RGT. Of course you also had to get the blessing from your chain of command and the schools NCO to get a slot...so I highly doubt a cherry straight out of AIT will get a shot at Ranger School.

kgoerz
05-03-2008, 05:19
I heard some little punk talking all this junk about how he was going to join the Army and be a bad ass. This is after he said that he used to do drugs and was clean now for two months (not believing that garbage). At any rate, what got my attention is that he told me the Army is letting kids go straight from boot to AIT to Ranger school. Any truth to this?? If it had come from someone else I might have believed it......maybe.

You should of told him. People are born Bad Asses. No school or training can make anyone a Bad ass. If Chuck Norris worked at Walmart his whole life...........still a Bad Ass:D

Kyobanim
05-03-2008, 05:25
You should of told him. People are born Bad Asses. No school or training can make anyone a Bad ass. If Chuck Norris worked at Walmart his whole life...........still a Bad Ass:D

Word!

Weazle23
05-03-2008, 06:36

He most likely has an option 40 contract as mentioned above. However, it's entirely possible that his official source of information might be just as confused as civilians when it comes to the difference of RIP and Ranger School. Just last week I had to intervene when another recruiter confused the two and said the kid would go to Ranger School after Airborne School with an option 40 contract.

Yes, I am still in USAREC, this cursed place of political back stabbing, but I'm expecting orders any day now to drive to Ft Lewis...

AngelsSix
05-03-2008, 18:13
Thanks!! He did say Option 40, but since I never heard of that before, I just figured he was full of it and ended the brief conversation. He doesn't want to join the Army unless he can go to some form of "special" career, if you get my drift.
So what exactly is the Option 40 contract??

The Reaper
05-03-2008, 18:25
Thanks!! He did say Option 40, but since I never heard of that before, I just figured he was full of it and ended the brief conversation. He doesn't want to join the Army unless he can go to some form of "special" career, if you get my drift.
So what exactly is the Option 40 contract??

Assignment to a Ranger unit, just like he told you.

TR

Guy
05-04-2008, 09:50
So what exactly is the Option 40 contract??Option 40 "only" guarantees that you will go to RIP (Ranger Indoc). Once you pass RIP, then you will be assigned to a Ranger unit.

Stay safe.

AngelsSix
05-08-2008, 18:56
Kind of figured it guaranteed RIP. Thanks!!