PDA

View Full Version : Now your chance

Penn
05-01-2008, 15:50
Police hunt lion on the loose in woods north of Ottawa
Graham Hughes, Ottawa Citizen; Canwest News Service
Published: 2:01 am 5.1.2008
OTTAWA - A Quebec provincial police helicopter equipped with a heat-seeking device and officers from the province's natural resources ministry are searching the bush around Maniwaki -- about 130 kilometres north of Ottawa -- for an African lion.
SQ spokeswoman Melanie Larouche said the two-year-old, 150-to-200-pound male was last seen Tuesday night about 9:30 on Highway 105 about one kilometre south of the town.
The lion is about one-metre tall and 1.5-metres long. It apparently got loose on Tuesday. Its owner, a member of the Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg First Nation, adjacent to Maniwaki, has told police the animal is not dangerous.
Kitigan Zibi police chief Gordon McGregor said six reserve police officers and 12 SQ officers were involved in the ground hunt, as well as game wardens. Schools in the area were under lockdown and residents of the reserve and in the town had been warned to stay on the alert. The police chief said squad cars would accompany school buses on their runs and would accompany children to their homes to ensure their safety.
The Chief of the First Nation, Stephen McGregor, said officials are handicapped in their search efforts, "because no one really knows what we're dealing with -- even the game wardens don't know what to do.
"We're treating this as a public security problem," he said. "The police will keep searching for the lion and hope to tranquilize him and capture him, but we don't even know if the tranquilizers we've got will work on it."
If they have to, the police will shoot the lion, but everyone would prefer to capture it," he said.
"The owner says he's tame, but right now, it's loose and it's a hunter, so we're worried that its instincts will kick in," he said. "When you look at the worst-case scenario, humans would be the easiest ones to hunt."
The owner, a lifelong hunter and trapper, is on standby in case the animal is spotted.
Anyone who wants to own such a wild animal must obtain an "exotic animal" permit from Quebec's natural resources ministry, said Jocelyn Martel, the ministry's interim chief of service. The owner doesn't seem to have a Quebec permit, Martel said, but, as a First Nation's member, he may have one from another province.

2 Block Secured
05-01-2008, 20:42
Another reason to have a concealed carry license!
Better to have it and not need it than need it and faced with an African lion.

lksteve
05-01-2008, 23:48
Another reason to have a concealed carry license!
Better to have it and not need it than need it and faced with an African lion.I am not sure I would want to face an African lion with a concealable hand gun...although that would be better than a half-empty Starbucks cup...

f50lrrp
05-02-2008, 08:47
In 1976, when I was a young police officer in Monterey< California, I received a “Wild Animal” call at 0300 hours in “New Monterey” not far from the Defense Language Institute.

When I arrived it was extremely foggy (as only Monterey can be). The first thing that I observed was a man in his 50s holding a rifle and a flashlight. I got out of my patrol car and asked the man what was going on. He told me that he had a lion in his back yard and needed the rifle to protect himself.. I asked him if he was sure it was a lion and he said that it was an African Lion with a full mane and everything. I took the rifle away from him and asked what he’d been smoking because I couldn’t smell alcohol. He replied, “No Shit it’s an African Lion.

Just then there was a roar coming from the side of his house. I shined my spot light toward the sound and there stood an African Lion with a full mane. I told the man to get into his house and make sure all of the windows and doors were closed. I jumped into the patrol car and called for back up. There was only one other officer working the shift and he responded. The Pacific Grove police also responded two patrol cars since it was only two blocks from their city.

Officer Lee Gardner arrived and we discussed that the lion seemed to be afraid of the bright spot lights on our patrol cars (aircraft landing lights). So we placed our cars to keep both sides of the house bathed in bright lights. I called dispatch and requested that the Department of Fish and Game respond with a tranquilizer gun. I was informed that DFG’s nearest tranquilizer gun was in King City about two hours away. The City of Monterey’s Animal Control Officer arrived in his truck and had absolutely no idea what to do. While Gardner and I were trying to problem solve, the ACO called the SPCA and a Humane Officer arrived at the scene. He, of course, had no clue as to how to handle a pissed off African lion, either.

By then, it was approaching 0500 hours and people were starting to walk dogs and to jog. So Gardner and I loaded our Remington 870 shotguns with rifled slugs and planned to assault the lion with one of us emptying four rounds into the lion and then the other officer emptying his four rounds while the first officer reloaded. We reasoned that 16 rifled slugs should put the lion down.

As we approached the back yard, a man walked up and declared that the lion was his. He asked for five minutes to get his truck with a cage on it to lock the lion into. He shortly returned with his truck and placed a trail of chicken necks into the cage. Once the lion was secured, we ordered the man to drive to the police department. The truck was placed into the motorcycle garage and the owner was placed into an interview room. A quick review of the Penal Code, the Fish and Game Code and the City Code failed to find any applicable violations. The on-call Deputy D.A. was called, The DFG supervisor was called and the City Attorney was called. They all researched and no violation of the law was found!

The City Code now prohibits a cat over 35 pounds from roaming in the City. The Fish and Game now prohibits owning a wild cat without a state permit.

Ask me about the Brown Bear that found its way into the courthouse, some other time.

Penn
05-02-2008, 08:58
After I posted that story I did some quick research on the country that lion is in. It's very rough. I bet it will be awhile before they track and capture it, if they ever do.

2 Block Secured
05-02-2008, 21:29
You misunderstood me,

It is implied that I have already invested in a really good pair of running shoes and have successfully outrun my wife. By the time the tiger caught up to me, it would be so tired, all that I would need to do was give it a good old "coup de gracy" which a hand gun is more than adequate for.