PDA

View Full Version : 45 Ammo

FMF DOC
04-28-2008, 17:45
I have several 45 handguns and I'm looking to buy some Ammo in bulk at least 500 rounds. Any suggestions on the type, grain, and source ?

The Reaper
04-28-2008, 18:20
I would use the Search button before starting new threads, as is customary around here.

That way, anyone who follows later can just go to that thread and get the old info, as well as the latest, and we do not have to give the same advice every time a new member asks.

TR

BlackDragon0311
09-20-2008, 10:02
just depends on if ur looking for something specific, good range and accuracy and reliability on ur rounds, a breaking in of your gun, etc etc....

dont go doin what I did when I was younger, getting a box of hydroshocks and using them like regular rounds at the range, very stupid thing for me to do with high quality man killer rounds like that, lol, learn from my mistakes :P

~JohnnyBoy

yasnevo
09-20-2008, 11:22
I like WalMart....
and I get just plain Jane Winchester White Box 230 grain FMJ Ball...
guarantee if you shoot something in the face with it.. it will stop whatever it was doing...

Oh, and 500 rds is not allot...

get 1,000 min...

NousDefionsDoc
10-01-2008, 12:27
I did a search and didn't find anything about this specific topic.

I haven't found anything worth shooting cheaper than the Walmarts white box. Anybody got anything cheaper on something decent? I really like the white box stuff.

Team Sergeant
10-01-2008, 12:29
I did a search and didn't find anything about this specific topic.

I haven't found anything worth shooting cheaper than the Walmarts white box. Anybody got anything cheaper on something decent? I really like the white box stuff.

That's what I shoot;)

NousDefionsDoc
10-01-2008, 12:32
Are you getting it from Walmarts or do you have a better deal and want to hook a Brother up?;)

Peregrino
10-01-2008, 13:44
NDD - Walmart is the best deal around Bragg. I haven't seen anything on-line that's enough better to make up for the S&H. (That's why I'm reloading! :D ) Good Luck!

Team Sergeant
10-01-2008, 15:20
Are you getting it from Walmarts or do you have a better deal and want to hook a Brother up?;)

Nope, Wal-Mart white box is getting to be all I shoot. Winchester white box, 100 rd boxes, 29 cents a round here in AZ.

I do carry a different flavor when I'm packing.

NousDefionsDoc
10-02-2008, 16:28
Thanks fellows. I'm going to get into reloading next year.

HOLLiS
10-03-2008, 10:02

It is still a value, but like ammo cost, it has gone up too.

The Winchester value packs are a good deal. I was at Wally World yesterday. I checked on the prices. In the last 4 years it has pretty much doubled. Example 9mm was less than $9 for 100rds now close to $20. Not sure how the trend will continue, now so far has been the best time to buy ammo.

ZooKeeper
11-12-2008, 16:26

I was shooing white box & started reloading recently. I thought it would save some money, but after buying a Dillion press and all the goodies, it is going to take a while to break even...

ZK

The Old Guy
12-12-2008, 13:20
This post is all most a month old but I wanted to add my 0.02.

I found Georgia Arms (http://georgia-arms.com/) who carries bulk ammo for sale.

Example of .45 ACP:

"Canned Heat" .45 ACP 230gr. Jacketed Hollow Point NEW 1000, Your Price: $360.00"

Has anyone used this manufacture? I am looking at a run for Christmas!

Team Sergeant
12-12-2008, 13:47

Example of .45 ACP:

"Canned Heat" .45 ACP 230gr. Jacketed Hollow Point NEW 1000, Your Price: $360.00"

That delivered?

vsvo
12-12-2008, 13:50

Example of .45 ACP:

I've shot GA new and reloaded ammo in .223 Rem and .45 ACP and it seemed like good stuff to me. I still have around 500 rounds of .45 ACP FMJ and a couple bags of the 230gr. JHP. I usually picked it up at the local gunshows and have never ordered Canned Heat online. Very nice folks that worked their tables at the shows.

The Old Guy
12-12-2008, 13:57
That price would be without shipping.

I live just 70 miles or so away and plan on driving up there.

Cash sale and no record.

I can store it for you, if you like.

Peregrino
12-12-2008, 21:11

Example of .45 ACP:

That's still 36 cents per round. I know it's hollowpoint but our local WalMart is selling Winchester 230FMJ for $31.97 per 100 (or 32 cents ea.). Known quality, better price, I'm having a hard time justifying the JHP and a 70+ mile drive for plinking.

Gene Econ
12-13-2008, 21:33
That's still 36 cents per round. I know it's hollowpoint but our local WalMart is selling Winchester 230FMJ for $31.97 per 100 (or 32 cents ea.). Known quality, better price, I'm having a hard time justifying the JHP and a 70+ mile drive for plinking.

PG:

SAECO four cavity 205 Grain Hensley and Gibbs Semi-wadcutter bullet mold. Cost with brass, primers, and powder -- .10$ per shot maximum. And they will shoot much better than the white box 230 grain FMJ.

Or you can go with a 230 grain truncated cone cast bullet for the 'Coveted' Caliber .45 Automatic Colt Pistol. A much better choice than the white box 230 RN bullets. IMHO of course.

There is no difference in blasting between hard lead cast bullets for the 'Coveted' and FMJ for the 'Coveted'. In fact, if one uses the 205 grain HG bullets, they will be extremely pleased with the results.

Gene -- maker and blaster of many tens of thousands of 'Coveted' Caliber .45 Automatic Colt Pistol bullets.

Peregrino
12-13-2008, 22:05
Gene - Ranier or Berry's 230 gr. plated, double struck, TC or HP. I'll pay the extra .02-.03 not to have to cast my own. I'm spending about .13 per round and getting everything I need from reloads. Need to hurry up and get another jug of WW231 before the current madness affects it too. Course the better half was taking care of me - my Christmas present from her is a Kimber .22 conversion for my TLE-RLII. That's less than .06 per round! :p

Gene Econ
12-14-2008, 07:34
Gene - Ranier or Berry's 230 gr. plated, double struck, TC or HP. I'll pay the extra .02-.03 not to have to cast my own. I'm spending about .13 per round and getting everything I need from reloads. Need to hurry up and get another jug of WW231 before the current madness affects it too. Course the better half was taking care of me - my Christmas present from her is a Kimber .22 conversion for my TLE-RLII. That's less than .06 per round! :p

PG:

How true. To be honest with folks, I haven't cast bullets for five or six years. I keep my molds as a back up but otherwise buy plated bullets or Remington bulk bullets for the pistol.

I was just thinking about Ranier bullets a hour or so ago. They are located about ten miles from me and it generally costs less for me to buy their bullets from Midway than it does to buy them directly from the factory. Go figure.

Gene

incarcerated
01-05-2009, 00:14
our local WalMart is selling Winchester 230FMJ for $31.97 per 100 (or 32 cents ea.).

Went to Walmart today for a little Winchester white box. They were completely out. All calibers. The store had three boxes of centerfire pistol ammo to its name. The employee at the ammo counter said they have been out for over two weeks, and so have their warehouses, and they don’t know when they’ll be getting any. He’s never seen anything like this in the nine years he’s been working there.
Anyone else run into this?

Team Sergeant
01-05-2009, 10:19
Went to Walmart today for a little Winchester white box. They were completely out. All calibers. The store had three boxes of centerfire pistol ammo to its name. The employee at the ammo counter said they have been out for over two weeks, and so have their warehouses, and they don’t know when they’ll be getting any. He’s never seen anything like this in the nine years he’s been working there.
Anyone else run into this?

Nope, out here in Arizona you can still get all the ammo you can shoot. There has been a run on guns and ammo but that will not last long.

kellyeod
01-05-2009, 10:36
I have been watching things for about three weeks now. Northern VA is dry of many things. Folks are snatching it all up for fear of losing thier rights. What isn't being sold is being held in reserve by FFL's who watching for when prices hit thier peaks.

The Reaper
01-05-2009, 10:46
I was looking for 5 boxes of .44 Magnum for a Christmas gift, went to three stores, including a Wal-Mart, and still could only find four boxes.

Lots of panic buying going on here, much of it spawned by idiotic legislation proposed by the leftist anti-gunners.

I have it on good authority that the manufacturers have started dropping ammo prices as commodities prices have gone down, but retailers and middlemen have kept their prices up, or even increased them due to demand and difficulty in obtaining product.

TR

kellyeod
01-05-2009, 11:28
Can't say I like that little product of capitalism, but I can understand it.:rolleyes: