PDA

View Full Version : Advice or Tips for an Engineer

TexasEngineer
04-25-2008, 16:19
I am a 21B currently deployed. What are some things I can be working on while over here to better myself as an engineer. I have asked my team leader and I am just trying to get a different opinion.

lksteve
04-25-2008, 17:40
How's your math?

hotshot
04-25-2008, 19:26
Being that you are a Combat engineer, find out what the Skill level 1 tasks are for your job and learn them. Then read and familiarize yourself with the engineering field manuals, which are FM's 5-01.12 thru FM 5-490, google them. That should keep you busy for a while.

CH

Dan
04-25-2008, 19:41
I am a 21B currently deployed. What are some things I can be working on while over here to better myself as an engineer. I have asked my team leader and I am just trying to get a different opinion.

Your team leader would know best your strengths and weaknesses. Like lksteve mentioned math is crucial as an engineer and being able to apply it in your formulas.

Know your basics soldiering skills completely before looking further, i.e. once you have mastered your Common Tasks, as mentioned learn your 21B10 skill level requirements inside and out, then pull out a FM 5-34 and start learning it; learn to use it as a field tool and don't be afraid to make notes in it, if you want to know more about a subject in the field manual pull the full manual like hotshot mentioned and study the subject at hand.

Using the template of knowing your basic skills and require MOS skills first will make you a more complete soldier and ultimately a better Combat Engineer as you progress in the military.

TexasEngineer
04-28-2008, 11:13
Thank you for the response. My math is good, but can always get better. I am going to start taking some correspondance courses as well as use the FMs. Time for PT now.

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-13-2008, 16:43
Hi, Dave Boltz here I was an engineer for many years, and loved every minute of it. First all you will do is gong to require some math. All Demo, all T.O. construction, all range. Hell...everything! Math first . i have always credited much on the ability to transpose what I see into solids and volumes. Learn to estimate volumes (but know he formulas, I have said that the best thing for an engineer to do is design and build an A Site. Build it on paper, make it a never ending project. that means from the start and then keep making it better. So you would learn to clear fields of fire, build a commo bunker, then build another one and make the old one the team house, plan all the barriers, wire, trenches bunkers firing positions, mortar Pits, towers, gates, E+E route out of camp , Mess hall, Bar/club (Oh wait..That should have been second after the commo bunker). many of the things you build are on request/demand of the Team Sgt.All Member of the team will give you advice in their specialty area, such as Mortar pits, Fighting positions, fiields of fire Mine fields, Claymore placements, and much much more. I'm sure some of the guys reading can provide a list also. well just some thoughts. Dave, good luck.

18C4V
06-15-2008, 11:05
Brush up on your computer skills ie: word, excell, and powerpoint. This will not only prepare you for being a Charlie but help you out with your current job.

lksteve
06-15-2008, 11:12
plan all the barriers, wire, trenches bunkers firing positions, mortar Pits, towers, gates, E+E route out of camp , Mess hall, Bar/club (Oh wait..That should have been second after the commo bunker). You can make commo from the club...

ESPI13
04-01-2009, 18:43
As a current 18C student, I have to agree with all of the above posts. Your math skills need to be spot on. Many guys are being lost during the first couple of weeks of training where math is the bulk of it. Be confident in your work and don't overlook any part of your formulas. Also, with the way that the curriculum is currently taught, all the math/formula/class work is front loaded before ever seeing a range (of course this is the SFQC and always subject to change). If you already have an idea of how demo works and the components that go into it, then things will be much easier. I came from a prior MOS that offered little insight to the demo world and I was playing catch-up with long nights of studying the first couple of weeks. And remember, just like every other part of the Q, it never gets any easier and things only build on what you have learned so no "brain-dumping" allowed. These instructors are the best that the SF community has to offer and among the most professional I have ever worked for. They teach things that are relavent and battle tested. Good luck in your journey and preparations for your new one. If you have any questions on what to expect or things of that nature feel free to ask, but I leave all the technical aspects to the SME's.

rltipton
04-23-2009, 13:03
Those are good tips, but here's another point of view you may consider as well.

If your math skills are already good, you should also be studying 7-8 (probably even more than 5-25, 5-250, 5-34, etc). The 18C course will teach you everything current doctrine says you need to know to be an 18C30, but when it comes down to being graded for patrols that will earn you that tab, you are going to be judged by how you operate IAW 7-8 and/or your team SOP. Food for thought.

Good luck & Be safe,
Randy

charlietwo
04-23-2009, 23:59
I would throw in logistics and the supply system as well. Start learning some S-4 procedures, property book procedures, etc.

If you're lucky, you'll walk into a team with a straight property book. I had my ass handed to me by property accountability because I just didn't have a working knowledge of it walking in, nor did my senior have a functional system of keeping track of everything.

It took me a while to learn, but it wasn't easy.

TexasEngineer
04-24-2009, 17:54
Thank you for the responses. These are all things that I have not thought of. I am currently attending UMBC right now. It is giving me some useful information to tuck away in the toolbox.