PDA

View Full Version : Bench rests and spotting scopes

AngelsSix
04-24-2008, 20:41
Need some advice....I want to purchase a spotting scope and a bench rest....I know absolutely nothing about either one. Can you fine folks give me some pointers on what to look for?? I am okay for a little cash to burn. I am currently getting ready to start the gunsmithing course at MCC and need to save my pennies, I don't want to spend too dang much....and I want to have some left to go to the range once a week (range fee, targets and ammo).

Thanks in advance!!

82ndtrooper
04-24-2008, 20:53
Fill up some sand bags, worked for me. :D

I have a cheap 8x-36x spotting scope. $87 from Wal Mart.

The Reaper
04-25-2008, 05:15
If Mark is your instructor, tell him we said howdy.

TR

Peregrino
04-25-2008, 08:37
If Mark is your instructor, tell him we said howdy.

TR

If Mark's your instructor, wait until you get there and ask him. Otherwise research Sinclair, Champion's Choice, Champion's Shooters Supply, Creedmore, Brownells, and Midway for the benchrest. Caldwell has a reasonably priced one I'm considering - The Rock, IIRC. Midway usually has the best price.

My personal favorite for the scope (price/quality) is a Kowa 82mm. I did a lot of research and "fondling" before I reached that conclusion. There are other scopes that cost less or have better optics but it's a good compromise with lifetime quality. I ran across another one that would make a good entry level scope but can't remember the name (info's at home).

Go to a couple matches and ask around. Everybody I know will be happy to help.

Indian
04-26-2008, 13:17
For an entry level spotting scope, check out a Konus at: http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

Jim Owen sells them for $235 including shipping and will buy them back for $100 and donate them to the Marine Junior team at Camp Perry.

I have one and we used it along side a Kowa at a reduced match last weekend. For the 2-300 yard targets the Konus was very good and we could see mirage very well and see .223 holes without problems. The Kowa is a better spotting scope, but not significantly so for the $700 price difference for a beginner.

It's not a Kowa, but it is worth checking out for starters on a budget.

longrange1947
04-26-2008, 17:36
Just visited that site. Looks like a winner and I would give it a try as the cost is low enough that even if it is not what you want, you can always give it back for the stated deal.

I am sorely tempted to give it a try even though I have a Kowa, Leica and Kowa Highlander binos. Nope can't have enough optics. Of course, I don't really own them all, they are available to me at work. :D

maximus
04-26-2008, 21:43
For an entry level spotting scope, check out a Konus at: http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

Jim Owen sells them for $235 including shipping and will buy them back for $100 and donate them to the Marine Junior team at Camp Perry.

I have one and we used it along side a Kowa at a reduced match last weekend. For the 2-300 yard targets the Konus was very good and we could see mirage very well and see .223 holes without problems. The Kowa is a better spotting scope, but not significantly so for the $700 price difference for a beginner.

It's not a Kowa, but it is worth checking out for starters on a budget.

+1 on the Konus. Bought one last year, I can also see .223 holes easily to 300 yds, and it works better than a much more expensive Leupold I used to have.

AngelsSix
04-29-2008, 00:14
I will pass along the well wishes, you can be sure. I start class in the Fall. BUT IN THE MEANTIME..... I have a lot of shooting needs to get done. Since the range rules won't allow me to site my ifle in the good ole fashioned way (prone), I have to find a scope and a rest. I only want to do this one time if I can.

I appreciate all of your advice and input!!

GURL

The Reaper
04-29-2008, 08:25
Sounds good.

Your instructor is always glad to see his students working hard and shooting good groups.

Bring your best shot groups in the first day of class and show them to him, I am sure that Mark would love to see them.

Best of luck with the spotting scope and benchrest.

TR

Peregrino
05-16-2008, 21:04
Finally found where I stashed the data on the alternate spotting scope. Check out http://www.vortexoptics.com/. They are supposed to be par or better with the Konus. Good reviews from strange sources (bird watchers, etc. - surprising who appreciates affordable quality).

Roguish Lawyer
04-15-2011, 17:45
Good information in this thread, thanks.

Buffalobob
04-15-2011, 18:15
My personal favorite for the scope (price/quality) is a Kowa 82mm.

I use a Kowa 82mm. The 82 has been discontinued I do believe. I do not have ED glass but I can still count elk times at 3 miles. Do not buy the variable eye piece as it is worthless. Instead get two single power lenses. I use a 22 WA and a 32 WA as I use mine for hunting. I also use it for 1K F-class and a lot of people will have them on the line at F-class. You will need a good tripod that holds it still in moderate winds. What I use is a Vanguard Alta 233AO. Most people use some version of Manfrotti or if weight is an issue then carbon fiber Glick

A good rear bag is as essential as a good rest. Like a fool my rear bag costs more than the el cheapo rest I use. Protektor is a good brand. Make sure you fill it with Heavy Sand which is really good stuff.

Attached is a picture of how I set up to shoot antelope at long range. The spotting scope , video camera, and rangefinder are all on tripods and the rifle is on bipods and the Protector rear bag.