PDA

View Full Version : Flash History Question

trent
04-23-2008, 16:02
I know the history behind the black stripe on the 1st group flash but I was wondering if anyone knew the reason why the flash is "Asian Gold" yellow in color and what that signifies. My google-fu could not conquer this question so please PM if you can help. Thanks.

f50lrrp
04-24-2008, 09:56
FLASH “Asian Gold” in color. It became the only official Army insignia to continuously commemorate our slain President, John F. Kennedy, when the Army added a black border to the insignia following the Commander in Chief's assassination in 1963. Due to a close relationship between President Kennedy and the Special Forces (President Kennedy first authorized the beret), protocol was changed during the President's funeral to permit a green beret to be placed on the grave site (normally, only done by each parent service). Sergeant Major Francis J. Ruddy, an original member of the 1st Special Forces Group, placed his beret on the Presidents' grave.

"Asian Gold" was chosen because the 1st SFGA was assigned Asia as an area of influence. When the various SF Groups were formed, each was arbitrarily assigned a color. The 1st SFGA was assigned yellow. Obviously, yellow has conitations that are not in keeping with the SF image. When the 1st SFGA arrived in Okinawa, Flashes were obtained from a local source in a darker than yellow hue.