PDA

View Full Version : Tomahawk Goodness

Debo
04-23-2008, 12:46
I thought you guys might enjoy these pictures. I went out to my friend ABS mastermith John Horrigan's place yesterday. As we were having a beer and catching up he said, "Hey, I need a tomahawk for elk hunting this year. Let's make you one too." I had placed an order for one awhile back and was excited. Here are the pictures.

We left a rich patina finish on it by putting it in the forge and taking it out allowing the scale to build, wire brushing it off, and putting it in the forge again several times. This left a finish that is more resistant to rust as well as a nice burnished look. We oil quenched the edge and the hammer head for heat treat until a file just barely skates off. I opted for the hammer instead of the spike (sexy as the spike is) because I felt it would be more useful when in the field.

We did a little chopping and the 'hawks are really nice. Edge tested by chopping some hardened Blackjack oak and still shaved arm hair afterward. A great afternoon spent with a brother.

Thanks John!

D.

Debo
04-23-2008, 12:54
"

Rumblyguts
04-23-2008, 12:56
Love the handle and coradage touch. What kind of wood is it?

Debo
04-23-2008, 12:58
pics

Debo
04-23-2008, 13:00
Curly maple for the handle and leather lace for the cordage. We didn't use stain on the handles, instead we burned them lightly with the torch and then sanded and sealed. The handles turned out well. :)

D.

The Reaper
04-23-2008, 13:43
Beautiful piece.

John does nice work, doesn't he?

TR

Psywar1-0
04-23-2008, 13:46
thats very nice, so nice in fact Id like his contact info.

Regarding Spike vs Hammer poll there is at least one late 18th Century hawk that is the period version of a multitool. It has a pipebowl, Spike and Hammer poll that are interchangable depending on mission/mood.

You should probably carry that hawk during the survival portion of SERE, especially if you had a good Micky Wise knife in a quilled sheath. It will get you the good kind of extra scruitiny from the head instructor:D

Roguish Lawyer
04-23-2008, 13:59
thats very nice, so nice in fact Id like his contact info.

http://eliteknives.com/

Team Sergeant
04-23-2008, 14:00
Very nice indeed!

I may be in need of a tomahawk soon!

Thanks for the pictures!

TS

Debo
04-23-2008, 16:50
I forgot to add (because the knife guys will be asking) that it was made from S7 "shock steel". Think ballpeen hammer material. Perfect for the dual mission of a tomahawk.

D.

Bill Harsey
04-23-2008, 17:55
Debo,
Thank you very much for posting this.
Whenever John does something you have my full and complete attention.
Great report!

Edited to add: John should have you striking instead of using precious energy running that monster power hammer. Tell him to shave too.

Air.177
04-23-2008, 18:21
Aww Geez, That Hooligan, Err Horrigan Guy again ;-)

You come back to town and your back running with the same old questionable Crowd.

Seriously though D, that's a good looking 'Hawk, I imagine you'll find a use for it, perhaps as a weight next time you go on a midnight Tilapia expedition.

Good Times,
Blake

cold1
04-23-2008, 19:08
Awesome Tomahawk.
Great craftsmanship.
Im envious of both

jatx
04-24-2008, 11:26
Very, very nice. Enjoy!

JumpinJoe1010
04-24-2008, 13:28
That is a nice piece of craftsmanship. Wished I had one for myself.

SF_BHT
04-24-2008, 14:45
Debo

If someone contacts ABS mastermith John Horrigan what is the name of this model that he made for you?

vsvo
04-24-2008, 16:44
Beautiful! Thank you for the pictures.

TOMAHAWK9521
05-18-2008, 23:27
Magnificent craftsmanship! I would love to get my hands on one those beautiful Hawks. I currently use either my Hayes Hawk from ATC or 'Talon' from RMJ Forge over here in the "Cradle of Civilization". Neither have the beauty of Mr. Horrigan's design. WOW!

Debo
05-21-2008, 08:44
Debo

If someone contacts ABS mastermith John Horrigan what is the name of this model that he made for you?

Just tell him the "one that you made for Debo." He will know. :)

SF_BHT
05-21-2008, 10:43
Just tell him the "one that you made for Debo." He will know. :)

I may give him a call. Thanks you can never have enough sharp objects at home. I have a old Tomahawk that is 40 years old and I love it. A friend forged it and I have competed in Hawk throwing for many years when I was in the US and won a lot of prizes. Would like a new one. Thanks for sharing.
Bryan