PDA

View Full Version : Son's First Turkey!!!

kachingchingpow
04-21-2008, 14:21
Busy as this spring has been work wise, I was able to make enough time to get down to our hunting club and put my 9yo son on his first turkey. The hunt started out with warm biscuits, deer sausage and coffee (in my son's case, ice cold milk) at camp. We noticed daylight over the trees, so we briskly ran the truck to a likely spot to listen for gobblers on the roost. After parking the truck, I hit the owl hooter and the woods came alive with turkeys only 2 or 3 hundred meters away. In order to get setup before they flew down, we ran on foot along an old logging road that skirted the prime area. Shortly after picking out 2 decent cypress trees to lean against, 4 toms flew out of their roost heading directly toward my calls. After about 20 minutes of coaxing the bird below and 3 of his friends came into shooting range. I refused to take one of my own, I didn't want to miss all of my son's excitement. Conrad took him with a youth model Mossberg 500 shooting 3" mag 20ga #6's. The bird weighed 21.5lbs, has a huge beard... the bulk of it is 10", but there are several strands longer, spurs were about 1 1/8".

Team Sergeant
04-21-2008, 16:00
I'm going to be sorry I placed this hunting and fishing forum up.....;)

That's a DAMN fine looking turkey! 9 years old. Nice shooting!

Hell, all I've got around here is coyotes, both 4 legged and two legged...

Lots of rattlesnakes too.....:rolleyes:

TS

11Ber
04-21-2008, 17:15
I've been hunting for 15 years now and not once have I went turkey hunting. Never took my uncle up on his offers...probably gonna be something I always regret. Congratulations to you and your son, it is always good to see the younger one's continuing the tradition.

SF_BHT
04-21-2008, 17:33
I'm going to be sorry I placed this hunting and fishing forum up.....;)

That's a DAMN fine looking turkey! 9 years old. Nice shooting!

Hell, all I've got around here is coyotes, both 4 legged and two legged...

Lots of rattlesnakes too.....:rolleyes:

TS

Yeah and your running out of water also....

2018commo
04-21-2008, 19:05
K-POW, great Pic, thats a fine looking young man, must take after Mom!

I took mine out of school early last Thursday and went after some largemouths, he had a blast, but then again he likes catching skates when we do the surf.

PM me you home addy, I have a gift to mail you from NOLA.
AO

Mosby Raider
04-21-2008, 19:08
I know that'll always be a special hunt for the both of you. That's a really nice bird for a first trophy. My turkey season here in Alabama has been a bust so far. Still got a week and a half till the end of the season, hopefully I'll roll one of those wrinkly headed birds in the next few days.

clapdoc
04-21-2008, 20:08
Good looking turkey and GREAT looking young man.
Those memories will last a lifetime.
Congratulations!!

clapdoc sends.

BryanK
04-21-2008, 20:21
K-Pow, Congratulations to your son. Mighty fine bird. Wish I had that blessing opening day. Unfortunately these birds on Maryland public land weren't too chatty.

JHB
05-14-2008, 06:49
I will have to throw in some pictures of TS with baby pheasants so he wont feel bad about not having a bird picture. Great Job There Conrad..

Swamp
05-14-2008, 09:09
Great story, congrats!!!!!

Team Sergeant
05-14-2008, 09:47
I will have to throw in some pictures of TS with baby pheasants so he wont feel bad about not having a bird picture. Great Job There Conrad..

baby pheasants???? baby pheasants!!!!

It's hard to post pictures if you're BANNED!:lifter

baby pheasants my ass.

You want to go hunting "baby pheasants" again this year?

TS