PDA

View Full Version : My 25 meter target.

naccout
04-16-2008, 02:17
I posted my intro on page 102 on the intro thread in the intro section of the forums.

I haven't been around much- but I've been keeping up the PT and related studying/research. I've been trying to nail down my 25 meter target- including my contract options. I understand there are certain issues between the SF and the Rangers, and maybe I'm foolish for posting this here, but I'd rather be open and honest with you all who at least that in return for offering advice. I apologize in advance if this is offensive to anyone in the service- it is not intended as such.

My current realistic limitations: I need more cardio PT, I need more endurance...I'm working on it, but I'm not going to gain the endurance I need overnight, I need some time. I don't have a college degree yet, and I have a troubled past. I'm probably not a prime candidate for security clearance- but there is no longer anything I can do about that and I'll be damned if a technicality is what is going to hold me back.

I see myself having a few options. I realize I'm planning for a 5000 meter target but I'm not the type to do anything without a plan. The end result in all of these scenarios is a spot on a SF team.

11x: Go the Abn. Ranger route, from what I hear I'd likely need to tour before being able to go into SFAS/the Q- but by then I'd be absolutely prepared.

18x: As originally planned- Jump head first and give it hell.

11x/Airborne: Sign the smallest length contract I can get in an airborne (brigade or regiment?), serve, learn, study, PT, take advantage of the time. Re-enlist as 18x if I haven't been offered a chance at selection during that service.

Basically- I want all the training I can get. I want to not only pass the Q course on the first attempt- but ideally I'd like to already be confident in the skills required in the training, and excel. Ultimately, it 's the SF I seek. I'm aware I could go into 18x now and begin the pipeline- but is that really setting myself up for success? I'm in this for the long haul, so I'd appreciate any advice for helping me choose where to start. Once these contract issues are ironed out, I don't plan on asking anymore questions.

I hope this dilemma doesn't seem generic to you all- I feel like I've done my homework, and would hate to waste your time. Thank you very much.

The Reaper
04-16-2008, 05:19
From what you have written, you are not ready for SF right now.

You seem to be deficient in several areas we are looking for.

You might want to see if you can prove yourself as a soldier before deciding you belong on the all-star team.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-16-2008, 05:20
I could go into 18x now and begin the pipeline- but is that really setting myself up for success?

Let me be blunt: this is not about choice it is about commitment. If you are ready to commit to everything SF requires, stands for, and expects then you will know it. Apparently you are more concerned with failure than success so you are already second guessing your path. Only you can make this determination. Asking folks sitting at the the other end of a keyboard who know absolutely nothing about you is a sure receipe for failure. While this may seem expeditious to you in getting a speedy resolution over the internet remember this, bullshit at the speed of light is still bullshit and no one here can provide you with an azimuth when you are holding the compass. I would submit that you really have not identified your 25 meter target and until you do you are going to be using a shotgun with a wide choke hoping to hit something. Just my thoughts from your post-I could definitely be wrong.

naccout
04-16-2008, 12:28
Thank you very much for the input.

I understand why you've gotten that impression. I agree that I'm currently not 100% physically prepared for SF. It may appear I'm not mentally ready either, and without making any excuses I'd like to add my being humble on these forums is out of respect for you all, not a personal insecurity or weakness I have for failure.

Looks like I owe myself pushups either way, and thanks again for the input.

RAVEN_DUST
04-16-2008, 13:41
Pardon the intrusion Gentlemen,

I read in this young mans post that he has a troubled past. Naccout, if you require a morales waiver for enlistment you will not be able to get the 18x contract or the option 40(Ranger) contract. Those require Secret security clearances and those enlisting with a morale waiver do not qualify for one. You might be able to get a clearance later on in your service. Key word is "might". Go Airborne and then drive on. Your 25 meter target is getting in, in the first place. I would like to add that I am not in the service this is what my recruiter has told me.

3SoldierDad
04-16-2008, 13:55
Let me be blunt: this is not about choice it is about commitment. If you are ready to commit to everything SF requires, stands for, and expects then you will know it. Apparently you are more concerned with failure than success so you are already second guessing your path. Only you can make this determination. Asking folks sitting at the the other end of a keyboard who know absolutely nothing about you is a sure receipe for failure. While this may seem expeditious to you in getting a speedy resolution over the internet remember this, bullshit at the speed of light is still bullshit and no one here can provide you with an azimuth when you are holding the compass. I would submit that you really have not identified your 25 meter target and until you do you are going to be using a shotgun with a wide choke hoping to hit something. Just my thoughts from your post-I could definitely be wrong.

Wow, there's a lot of good stuff in there....on life.

Darn it, I love your stuff. Whatever happened with that idea of you writing a book? Will it ever happen?
Look at it this way - It'd keep you out of the way of your wife for a few months. Everybody wins...:)

Thanks Colonel Moroney

Three Soldier Dad...Chuck

Surgicalcric
04-16-2008, 17:12
... if you require a morals waiver for enlistment you will not be able to get the 18x contract or the option 40(Ranger) contract. Those require Secret security clearances and those enlisting with a morale waiver do not qualify for one...

First of all, stay in your lane.

It is frowned upon for individuals who dont even have 1-day in the military to start handing out info on it. Unless you were a OPM investigator in a previous life you are woefully out of your depth and as such should leave answering such questions to those who have an idea what they are talking about. Picking up what I am putting down here?

Also, the information you cited above is not true. The adjudication of his clearance will depend on many factors not just his needing a moral waiver to enlist.

Crip

naccout
04-16-2008, 17:17
Thanks for the input. I don't think I need a moral waiver.

RAVEN_DUST
04-16-2008, 17:36
First of all, stay in your lane.

It is frowned upon for individuals who dont even have 1-day in the military to start handing out info on it. Unless you were a OPM investigator in a previous life you are woefully out of your depth and as such should leave answering such questions to those who have an idea what they are talking about. Picking up what I am putting down here?

Also, the information you cited above is not true. The adjudication of his clearance will depend on many factors not just his needing a moral waiver to enlist.

Crip

Heard, Understood, and Acknowledged. I was just repeating what my recruiter had told me. Back in my lane. I misunderstood what was in the original post.

BravoAlpha
04-16-2008, 20:44
naccout,

I just went through the DEP-in process and can offer up what I understand, from my own experience, of the current requirements. If you wish, you can PM me with an explanation of your "troubled past".

I can provide you with this 100% accurate information though. If you question your current mental fortitude with regard to going the 18x route, you are not ready. Also, being humble just for the sake of being humble is not being humble at all.

I think Jack Moroney hit the nail on the head.

BA

Surgicalcric
04-17-2008, 08:26
...I just went through the DEP-in process and can offer up what I understand, from my own experience, of the current requirements. If you wish, you can PM me with an explanation of your "troubled past".

I can provide you with this 100% accurate information though...

BravoAlpha:

Your just processing thru the DEP process doesn't put you in any better position than RAVEN_DUST to offer advice on this subject. I understand you guys wanting to help but offering advice when you dont have all the facts is not really helping.

naccount:

Clearances have been covered here at length. There are way too many factors involved in getting a clearance to give a yes/no answer without all the information and without having done the investigation.

The most important part of the process is DO NOT lie. Regardless of what one person may have or may not have done lying about it is a sure way to have your clearance denied. Oh, conveniently forgetting details is viewed as lying.

Depending on your "troubled past" it may or may not stand in the way. Much of it will depend on what you have done to rectify any shortcomings you had/have.

HTH,

Crip

Team Sergeant
04-17-2008, 09:28
naccout,

I just went through the DEP-in process and can offer up what I understand, from my own experience, of the current requirements. If you wish, you can PM me with an explanation of your "troubled past".

I can provide you with this 100% accurate information though. If you question your current mental fortitude with regard to going the 18x route, you are not ready. Also, being humble just for the sake of being humble is not being humble at all.

I think Jack Moroney hit the nail on the head.

-Allen

BravoAlpha:

Your just processing thru the DEP process doesn't put you in any better position than RAVEN_DUST to offer advice on this subject. I understand you guys wanting to help but offering advice when you dont have all the facts is not really helping.

Crip

BravoAlpha, And I'll bet you stayed at a holiday inn also. Do your self a favor and learn when not to draw fire. Oh, and that's "Colonel" Moroney to you.

naccount,

You've been given good advice by Special Forces soldiers, heed their advice.

Team Sergeant

Team Sergeant
04-17-2008, 09:36
Heard, Understood, and Acknowledged. I was just repeating what my recruiter had told me. Back in my lane. I misunderstood what was in the original post.

Did you happen to read the title of the "FORUM"?

Special Forces Questions

If you are not a current or former Special Forces soldier and are not asking us (Special Forces) a question then you should not be posting in this forum, period.

Team Sergeant

naccout
04-18-2008, 18:18
Thank you for the advice, I will heed it.

I'm going to MEPS as soon as I can get the appointment, and I'm leaning towards enlisting 3 years 11x with jump school, and going to see if there is any possibility of first duty station selection under program 9b's option 19.

SF is the long term plan, and I'm confident my path will lead to selection when I'm prepared.