PDA

View Full Version : Operation Eagle Claw

C46thVA
04-10-2008, 16:45
Gentlemen,

I recently received several excellent photographs of Delta in Egypt (at least Im assuming its Egypt from what research Ive done) prior to launching the ill fated rescue mission. Similar photos taken at the same time appeared on the website for Mark Bowdens book on the subject. These photos are of better quality and larger than those on the site. I was given these by Lewis "Bucky" Burruss, Im sure most of you are familiar with the name. He was very helpful and had no problem emailing them to me. He also said that they are considered Public Domain so sharing them with you lot is not a problem. If anyone is interested just reply and I will post them. If the files are too large I can always email them to interested parties.

JDW

Team Sergeant
04-10-2008, 17:16
Both of my first two Team Sergeants were on that mission....;)

I've met LTC Burruss a few times... I've also got his email address, so you'd better not be telling a fib.;)

I'd like to see what you have, you can email thenm here:

JD@ProfessionalSoldiers.com

C46thVA
04-10-2008, 19:50
TS
Email inbound, enjoy.

No fibs here, I can assure you. I spoke with LTC Burruss on Wensday, got the pics the next day. If you speak with him again he may remember me as the "fellow Virginian" who called him out of the blue. Actually the first number I got was his sisters but she kindly gave me his number. I tested the waters with her but she assured me that her brother wouldnt mind my calling at all. Indeed he was very helpful. I dont make a habit of cold calling people like that but my research had reached a dead end and I figured it was worth a shot.
I will be reproducing a typical uniform as worn on Eagle Claw for a mannequin display in my private museum, aka my office. The photos of Delta in Mark Bowdens book were attributed to LTC Burruss but I wanted to find better pics showing more detail. Eventually my collection will be the basis for a book on SF uniforms from inception through Desert Storm.

JDW

Team Sergeant
04-10-2008, 19:57
TS

No fibs here, I can assure you.
JDW

I know two people in the pictures..... one of them was my former Team Sergeant....;) The other guy, I had no idea he was on the mission, live and learn. I need to read the book again and the names of those that were on the mission.

Thanks for the pictures.

TS

C46thVA
04-10-2008, 20:31
No problem, glad to do it.

Youve worked with some mighty fine folks.

JDW

C46thVA
04-12-2008, 13:28
Ive had several requests via PM for the photos, I really dont mind sending them out via email. However it may just be easier to go ahead and post them here. So, if the Mods have no objection Ill do so. let me know...

JDW

Kyobanim
04-12-2008, 16:18
To quote a friend here, "This thread is useless without pics!"

Please do!

Team Sergeant
04-12-2008, 17:09
Ive had several requests via PM for the photos, I really dont mind sending them out via email. However it may just be easier to go ahead and post them here. So, if the Mods have no objection Ill do so. let me know...

JDW

Go ahead and post them. (All the names of the soldiers that we on that mission are now in print.) And I doubt anyone that didn't know them would know them via these pictures!;)

Team Sergeant

C46thVA
04-12-2008, 17:39
Eagle Claw photographs

C46thVA
04-12-2008, 17:51
Im having some problems uploading at least two of the pics. Let me sort this out. In the meantime...

Team Sergeant
04-12-2008, 18:47
Im having some problems uploading at least two of the pics. Let me sort this out. In the meantime...

Send the problem pics to me and I'll upload them.;)

Team Sergeant
04-12-2008, 18:50
Second pic, tallest guy in the pic (on the right), I'm fairly sure who that is.......

Am I right?;)

TS

Dan
04-12-2008, 19:49
Second pic, tallest guy in the pic (on the right), I'm fairly sure who that is.......

Am I right?;)

TS

Yes, that's him.

C46thVA
04-12-2008, 21:05
Send the problem pics to me and I'll upload them.;)

TS

You have them, they were in the batch I sent out to you earlier. Im tempted to ask but I wont. However if anyone would care to elaborate Im all ears or rather eyes. Ill just crack a fresh one and see what happens....

JDW

Team Sergeant
04-13-2008, 08:32
TS

You have them, they were in the batch I sent out to you earlier. Im tempted to ask but I wont. However if anyone would care to elaborate Im all ears or rather eyes. Ill just crack a fresh one and see what happens....

JDW

Between all the SF personnel on this board I'm certain we could name each and every one of the men in the pictures, but we won't......;)

Their names are in a book written about the mission. After a quick look at the names I realize I know a few dozen who were on the mission.;)

TS

C46thVA
04-14-2008, 14:34
I was more interested in some good "tall tales", names are best left out:cool:

JDW

Team Sergeant
04-14-2008, 17:28
I was more interested in some good "tall tales", names are best left out:cool:
JDW

I don't mind telling tall tales, it's afterward, when my former team-mates find out and hunt me down and kill me (and everyone with the same last name), thats I mind.:p

longrange1947
04-14-2008, 18:21
Some of those guys have passed away, one as the first American in Somalia, named "Super Jew". He was with me when we started SOTIC in 85. Another was a good friend and drinking buddy that kept my secret from Bo Gritz when we were caught in an off limits place in Panama, in uniform after a crappy jump. You could only see my leg when I pushed back when the camera came out. The picture was on Bo's desk t he next morning. He wanted to know who the third turd was. Good memories, Rest in Peace guys, you more than earned it.

TS - You are right, quite a few are still "active" in world. :D

The Reaper
04-14-2008, 20:08
Some of those guys have passed away, one as the first American in Somalia, named "Super Jew". He was with me when we started SOTIC in 85. Another was a good friend and drinking buddy that kept my secret from Bo Gritz when we were caught in an off limits place in Panama, in uniform after a crappy jump. You could only see my leg when I pushed back when the camera came out. The picture was on Bo's desk t he next morning. He wanted to know who the third turd was. Good memories, Rest in Peace guys, you more than earned it.

TS - You are right, quite a few are still "active" in world. :D

RIP, Larry.

You are not forgotten.

TR

C46thVA
04-15-2008, 13:28
Ive read of some of the exploits of Super Jew, and seen his photo in more than one collection of Nam era pics. Im always amazed and more than a little awed by the careers of men like him. Once you know what to look for the names keep popping up, always out front, always kicking butt for country and comrades. Its hard to imagine that some of you guys have been at it for 30 + years. SGM Waugh for example, from Vietnam to Afganistan, gives me fookin goosebumps. What more can you say about men like that, except, GOD BLESS AMERICA.

JDW

KW9598
07-15-2008, 12:30
thanks for sharing the photos...they're all great shots. After years of research, reading, and a never ending interest in SOF history,,,,ive never seen any of those shots.

Thanks again for posting... also passed them on to a good friend that was on the mission and recently inducted into the SF hall of fame.

cheers