PDA

View Full Version : MACV-SOG Roll Call

Roguish Lawyer
05-14-2004, 17:05
I am a Viet Nam history buff, and it has been a real pleasure being able to bounce periodic questions off of BMT, Ambush Master and QRQ 30. I am curious who served in MACV-SOG, where they served, what teams or other units they were in, and -- of course -- any stories they are willing to tell!

So this is the SOG Roll Call thread. Anything any of you are willing to post would be great. And whether you post or not, thank you for your extraordinary service to our country. I and many others are deeply grateful.

Ambush Master
05-14-2004, 17:20
RL, I'll open it.

I ran on RT New York out of CCC in Kontum. I was there 1970/71 timeframe while John Plaster was flying Covey and Bob Howard was the Recon Company CO. My 60mm story and the Brightlight AAR in the Briefback Forum were from that period. The Brightlight AAR happened while I was a student at the MACVSOG Recon Teamleaders School therefore called One Zero School. That school was mandatory before you would be allowed to run Cross-Border Operations. They wanted all of the Americans on the team to be able to take the team over if need be. After you read Plaster's Books, you can see why.

Take care.
Martin

Roguish Lawyer
05-20-2004, 11:16
Thanks, Martin. Looks like others don't want to play. Oh, well.

If it helps, I'm not going to be PMing those who respond every five minutes with annoying, stupid questions. :)

Smokin Joe
05-20-2004, 12:06
Originally posted by Ambush Master
RL, I'll open it.

I ran on RT New York out of CCC in Kontum. I was there 1970/71 timeframe while John Plaster was flying Covey and Bob Howard was the Recon Company CO. My 60mm story and the Brightlight AAR in the Briefback Forum were from that period. The Brightlight AAR happened while I was a student at the MACVSOG Recon Teamleaders School therefore called One Zero School. That school was mandatory before you would be allowed to run Cross-Border Operations. They wanted all of the Americans on the team to be able to take the team over if need be. After you read Plaster's Books, you can see why.

Take care.
Martin

I just started Plasters book the other night. Wow, Simply Wow. You men are freaking amazing. Thank you for your service and HUGE BRASS BALLS!

BMT (RIP)
05-20-2004, 16:47
MLS Quan Loi Oct '69-Dec '69

MLS North Dec '69- Jul '70

CCS S-3 Op Sgt. Jul '70- Sep '70

BMT
Jr. FOG

QRQ 30
05-22-2004, 06:31
FOB-2 1-0 ST Deleware.
FOB-3 1-0 ST Bear
FOB-2 1-0Special Projects Team Cutlass

Time Frame 1968. Didn't have no foogin 1-0 school. Learned OJT. Short OJT since my 1-0 was KIA in the first 24 hours.

As I have said on other boards, SF Soldiers are flexible and adaptable.

The shower/wash room at Kontum was named after my 1-0 -- Martin's Manor.

The latrine was named after the first MOH recipient -- Sisler's Shitters.

QRQ 30
05-22-2004, 16:20
Lrt me clarify the above. I have nothing against 1-0 school. It is just a fact that it didn't exist in 1968. If it did, I may have never had the opportunity to run recon since I was assigned as an 05B/05C.

I believe the purpose was standardization of commo, air ops, various methods of insertion and extraction etc. The first time I saw a McGuire rig (I was also pre-STABO) was for an emercency extraction. OTOH a recon man has to be able to think on the run. There were no two missions the same for me.

Unfortunately "standardization" was also a stumbling block. The bad guys new the approximate time between a VR and insertion for wxample.

I hope I haven't screwed up the roll call!!

NousDefionsDoc
05-22-2004, 17:52
Its an honor gentlemen, and I mean that with all my heart.

AmericanPride
06-01-2004, 13:09
It's a great honor, and I too mean that with all my heart. We are very fortunate to have men such as yourselves here.

Brushmonkey
06-01-2004, 21:13
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I second that.

Ambush Master
06-01-2004, 21:55

Not nearly as much as still being here !!!! Having this Forum to share all of our thoughts, THIS REALLY MAKES IT WORTH IT !!!!

From the Mugs that I drink my coffee, everyday: "YOU HAVE NEVER LIVED UNTIL YOU HAVE ALMOST DIED. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT, LIFE (AND FREEDOM) HAS A SPECIAL FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW."

It's an Honor to be a part of this endeavor !!

Take care all.
Martin

Lancer33
06-21-2004, 05:20
The attached lists almost all of the RT's from CCN circa 71.

rwt_bkk
06-21-2004, 10:41
Well guess I can finally qualify for something!

CCN Aug 69-70
11 RT North Carolina
11 RT Kansas
Squad Leader HF (A Company - I think CRS again) just one mission and out...
MLT2 and HICKORY RR
(yeah I got around - but it wasn't always my choice).

lurch
07-18-2004, 18:47
I served with MACVSOG at CCN August 1970-August 1971

Recon Teams Python - Klaus Bingham 10 and Virginia - Keith Messinger 10. Then worked for "No Toes Dover" at the Phu Bai launch site. Lots of stories but don't know what sort you want to hear.

Team Sergeant
07-18-2004, 19:15
Originally posted by lurch
Lots of stories but don't know what sort you want to hear.

All of them that you care to tell.

Team Sergeant

NousDefionsDoc
07-18-2004, 19:20
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
All of them that you care to tell.

Team Sergeant

Oh most definitely.

lurch
07-18-2004, 19:36
This occured while I was at the Phu Bai Launch site. It was monsoon season. Weather had closed down in the AO, no teams on the ground. Benny Adkins NCOIC from the Quang
Tri launch site was visiting. Most of the launch site crew were assembled in the club drinking a "Recon Wreck" MSG Dover, our NCOIC and Benny got into an argument, about, of all things, which launch site had lost the most recon men. Their verbal argument soon escalated into a fist fight. Being one of the junior nco's in the bar ( E-5) I thought that was no way for two of our senior, well-decorated, combat experienced (Adkins had been in the A-Shau A camp that was overrun and was severly wounded yet returned to RVN) to be conducting themselves so I tried (foolish me) to break up the fight by stepping between the two combatants. I took a punch to the jaw for my trouble and as we were near the door of the bar I simply put my foot on the two embattled veterans and pushed them both out into the muddy street in the pouring rain. This failed to dampern their aggresion and they continued rolling about in the slime trying to win by KO.
I went back to my drinking to ease the pain in my jaw and the next morning it was said that after they had worn themselves out Adkins spent the night in the team holding hooch on the airstrip and Dover ended up in his own cot in the barracks. :)

lurch
07-18-2004, 20:06
story moved to the briefback area

TerribleTobyt
07-29-2004, 11:29
Originally posted by Ambush Master
RL, I'll open it.

Take care.
Martin

Toby Todd here. Ran on RT California with Joe Walker, 1-0, the same time Martin was doing his RT New York thingy.

I have all of John Plaster's books about SOG. IMHO, no one has done a better job of telling OUR story.

Martin, c'ya at SOAR, I hope.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT CAlifornia

Team Sergeant
07-29-2004, 11:35
Welcome Toby!

Maj Plaster's books are a great read!

TS

QRQ 30
07-29-2004, 11:37
Welcome Aboard Toby:cool:

TerribleTobyt
07-29-2004, 11:38
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Welcome Toby!

Maj Plaster's books are a great read!

TS

Thanx Top, nice to be here finally.

I see many SF List members have preceded me here.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT California

NousDefionsDoc
07-29-2004, 12:10
Welcome aboard Toby.

Martin was doing his RT New York thingy.

LOL - :munchin

Kyobanim
07-29-2004, 12:40
Welcome TobyT!

Ambush Master
07-29-2004, 18:06
Welcome aboard Toby.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin was doing his RT New York thingy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL - :munchin

Did I miss something humerous ??

Welcome aboard Toby !! I'll definitely be at SOAR !!!

Take care.
Martin

NousDefionsDoc
07-29-2004, 20:03
I just never heard it referred to as "thingy" before. I'll shut up now.

TerribleTobyt
07-29-2004, 20:04
Originally posted by Kyobanim
Welcome TobyT!

How do I get that for my avatar, or do I gotta have so many posts before that can happen.

If so, no sweat.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT California

Team Sergeant
07-29-2004, 20:08
Toby,

As a Quiet Professional all you need do is post a picture of an avatar you desire (or tell us where to find it), we will take care of the rest.

TS

Ambush Master
07-29-2004, 20:24
Originally posted by TerribleTobyt
How do I get that for my avatar, or do I gotta have so many posts before that can happen.

If so, no sweat.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT California

You mean like that ??

Later
Martin

NousDefionsDoc
07-29-2004, 20:32
Very nice avatar.

Roguish Lawyer
07-29-2004, 22:31
Welcome, Toby. It is an honor to have you here.

rwt_bkk
07-29-2004, 22:44
Hi Toby,
always good to have another SOGGIE on board!

TerribleTobyt
07-29-2004, 23:25
Y'all-

Thanx for the warm welcome. Some of the guys that I hold in the highest esteem are here on this Forum.

Onliiest thing I can say is:It's good to be home.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT California

brownapple
07-30-2004, 05:08
Hey, Toby! Good to see you!

TerribleTobyt
07-30-2004, 15:06
Originally posted by Greenhat
Hey, Toby! Good to see you!

Hey Al-

How ya been???????

Toby
1-2, RT California

Roguish Lawyer
07-30-2004, 15:55
SOG Trivia Question (former members of these teams are NOT eligible to answer!):

There was something unique about RT New York and RT California relative to the other CCC teams. What was it?

QRQ 30
07-30-2004, 16:00
I wasn't there in the "CCC" time frame but I believe they were Vietnamese teams. Most teams in CCC were "Yard" but I know of one that also had Nungs.

Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
SOG Trivia Question (former members of these teams are NOT eligible to answer!):

There was something unique about RT New York and RT California relative to the other CCC teams. What was it?

Air.177
07-30-2004, 16:14

I know this!!

Both were "Heavy" teams with 3 Americans and 9 Indig. Both carried a B-40 rocket launcher, a mortar, and at least one belt fed gun.

Also, I have heard talk that the One Zeros on both teams were considered to be Crazy by many folks, even in the Recon community.

QRQ 30
07-30-2004, 16:27
I am sure you have seen the term ST (Spike Team) as well as RT. In '68 the ST was what you call a "heavy Team". Most teams were Spike Teams and downsized to RT for particular missions. We carried several LAWs (one per member except for the 1-1 on my team). The reference to belt-fed weapons may explain the reference to "Crazy" though Papy Webb always carried an M-60.

On TM Cutlass I begged for and got a then experimental Stoner in LMG configuration.

To start with, because of different security considerations, the Daniel Boone Teams operated as RTs and the Prarie Fire Teams operated as STs.

Roguish Lawyer
07-30-2004, 16:36
Originally posted by Air.177
I know this!!

Both were "Heavy" teams with 3 Americans and 9 Indig. Both carried a B-40 rocket launcher, a mortar, and at least one belt fed gun.

Ugh. I can't ever remember to ban you from answering these questions! Yes, junior has the correct answer. I am withholding your prize because you weren't supposed to be eligible.
:eek: :boohoo

Roguish Lawyer
07-30-2004, 16:38
Originally posted by QRQ 30
I am sure you have seen the term ST (Spike Team) as well as RT. In '68 the ST was what you call a "heavy Team". Most teams were Spike Teams and downsized to RT for particular missions. We carried several LAWs (one per member except for the 1-1 on my team). The reference to belt-fed weapons may explain the reference to "Crazy" though Papy Webb always carried an M-60.

On TM Cutlass I begged for and got a then experimental Stoner in LMG configuration.

To start with, because of different security considerations, the Daniel Boone Teams operated as RTs and the Prarie Fire Teams operated as STs.

Thanks for explaining that, QRQ. I always wondered what the heck you were talking about!

How many men on an ST typically?

Air.177
07-30-2004, 16:39
Ugh. I can't ever remember to ban you from answering these questions! Yes, junior has the correct answer. I am withholding your prize because you weren't supposed to be eligible.
:eek: :boohoo

As long as I am right, That will be enough for me.:D

What, Just because I have undergone 20 Years of "indoctrination" and Education, I am being excluded?

Alright, I can deal with that.

Roguish Lawyer
07-30-2004, 16:41
As long as I am right, That will be enough for me.:D

What, Just because I have undergine 20 Years of "indoctrination" and Education, I am being excluded?

Alright, I can deal with that.

LOL, there was no prize. :D :lifter

QRQ 30
07-30-2004, 17:30
One thing I got from "The Secret Commandos" by Plaster is that he didn't stereotype the teams. Each team was an extension of its 1-0. There was no TOE or PLL for RTs. We carried what WE felt was best for US. If NY and CA were similar it probably had to do more with the ckloseness of the USSF team members. We used to sit around discussing different weapon loads. I had so much sucess with hand grenades that I once, and only once, carried a satchel full. After an hour I was looking for someone to unload them on. For the most part our teams carried LAWs, claymores with time pencils, WP and M-79. Almost all USSF carried a second weapon. A sawed off M-79 was popular. The stock was reduced to a pistol grip.

Again, personalities came into play. Some went looking for trouble -- and usually found it. Others, like me, considered a successful mission one in which we could go in, accomplish the mission and get out without making contact.

I can think of one specific time that I wouldn't be here to talk about it if I were loaded down like the two teams in question. Somehow we RONed in the middle of an NVA CP. We could hear them coming in by two and threes all night. I could hear the challenge and password as well as their radio transmissions. I had a five man team. We were all huddled together in a small cave made by a fallen tree on the hillside. In the morning one of the suckers walked so close to us I could reach out and grab his foot. Thank god it was raining. We managed to slip out of there without a shot. We made it to a ridge on the other side of the valley and called ARTY on them. This was again an in-country operation for the 4th ID. Thjere is no doubt that if we were loaded down like the two teams mentioned we would never have gotten out of that one.

This is in no way critical of people who see things differently. Don Valentine will tell you that if they would've let him he would have operated as a one man team.

For me, recon means :"Snoopin and Poopin". Maybe not very story worthy but I only had one failed mission. Actually it too was a success but I lost a 1-0.

Air.177
07-30-2004, 18:01
QRQ-I am by no means an authority on such things, but the way it was explained to me, was that different teams had different capabilities and missions were assigned to teams based on what would be required of them. An area recon, wiretap, roadwatch etc would obviously be better tasked to a small team as you describe. OTOH, a larger team may be a better choice if the likelyhood of contact with extremely large concentrations of Enemy was expected - I am thinking of one particular incidence AM, Concentric campfire circles, Back me up here - or if a smaller team had discovered a cache site, or other valuable target and lacked the ability to call air or arty on it and wasn't able to destroy it on their own. I have seen limitations on aerial bombardment discussed elsewhere, A "Heavy" team would fill a niche. Just like Hammers, One doesn't use a Brass gunsmith's hammer to drive tentstakes, nor vice versa. Small Recon Teams Would be more likely to go unnoticed, while Large teams could gome in guns blazing if the situation dictated so.

Just My .02

brownapple
07-30-2004, 19:10
Hey Al-

How ya been???????

Toby
1-2, RT California

Doing good. Keeping busy with work and my little girl.

QRQ 30
07-30-2004, 19:11
Totally agreed Air. In reality, all of the teams in my day were STs (heavy). If an RT was preferred the team was split. In two years things probably changed. Our HF's were exploitation forces. The team would (for existance) find and observe an ambush site. They would then call for the HF and lead them to the target. Mr Charles could have taught out present day troops something about convoy movement. They tended to separate the trucks by 50+ meters and an RT could be lucky to kill more than one vehicle. It was more a matter of harrassment.

For the most part our missions were assigned almost on a "duty roster" basis. Unlike what Plaster says, we tried to get one day stand down for each day on the ground. If you were out one day you may as well not bother to unpack. Some missions were planned and others like the one I mentioned above were "spur of the moment". The mission I mentioned above was definitely spur-of-the-moment. The 4th ID had a convoy ambushed and thought they knew where the NVA CP was located. This was sunday morning. They grabbed me on the way to the club for brunch. All I could muster was my 11 and three Yards. As it turned out that was probably life saving. We accomplished the mission but it was a toss of the coin of who located whom..

QRQ 30
07-31-2004, 16:09
The conversations of yesterday reminded me of Clarence "Pappy" Webb. CRS team name but Pappy was the 1-0. The team consisted of Nungs who were totally loyal to him. Pappy carried an M-60. Our missions were planned for five days. Pappy used to say that he was too old for that and on about the third day would start walking trails looking for trouble. He usually found it.

Pappy's Nungs and most USSF loved him but he also wore out and scared the shit out of several U.S.:D

He turned down a promotion to MSG saying they just wanted to promote him so they could bust him again.

CPTAUSRET
07-31-2004, 22:56
Toby:

Welcome aboard, glad to see you here:

Terry

Sigi
08-01-2004, 06:48
RL - Thank you for starting this thread.

Gentlemen - thank you so much for everything you have done. I am reading Plaster 1st book (SOG) now and am learning as much as I can about the RT's and SOG. I simply cannot fathom the odds that the men of Special Forces went up against. You are truly amazing men.

Thank you for your service.

TerribleTobyt
08-03-2004, 17:49
Originally posted by CPTAUSRET
Toby:

Welcome aboard, glad to see you here:

Terry

Terry-

Thanx, great to be here.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT California

TerribleTobyt
08-03-2004, 18:12
I know this!!

Also, I have heard talk that the One Zeros on both teams were considered to be Crazy by many folks, even in the Recon community.

Good going, Air.177.

During my time with RT California, we generally had 4 US and 10 yards.

We carried, at various times, CAR-15s, 2 ea XM-148s (the pre-curser to the M-203), 2 RPG-2s (I carried one, and 1 other yard carried one), and either an RPD, sawed-off, or an M-60. And, of course, the 60mm Mini Mortar.

Terry mentions intell gathering, heavy team vs light team. To a certain degree, he is correct. Let me assure you folks,though, there were very few 1-0s more diligent in gathering intel than Joe Walker. We brought mounds of intel. And if we happened into a fire fight, our very first move was to ATTACK, form a skirmish line, and go toe to toe with the god-less horde.

AND WE KICKED SOME SERIOUS BUTT!!!!!!!!

John Plaster is correct in his assessment that the RT took on the personna. We did, but we had to buy into Joe's way of doing things. The force of his personality was but one factor. But we drilled for hours on IA Drills until we not only knew our own responsibility, but the responsibilities of everyone else.

Martin may want to jump in here to discuss Ed Wolcoff's use of "The Diamond" formation for RT New York.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT California

TerribleTobyt
08-04-2004, 08:32
I served with MACVSOG at CCN August 1970-August 1971

Recon Teams Python - Klaus Bingham 10 and Virginia - Keith Messinger 10. Then worked for "No Toes Dover" at the Phu Bai launch site. Lots of stories but don't know what sort you want to hear.

Gents-

I have to admit I was taken aback when I saw your user name.

"lurch" was the code name for David I Mixter, 1-1 RT Colorado. He was SOGs last KIA in Laos, Jan 71.

A good MoFo.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT California

lurch
08-07-2004, 20:38
Gents-

I have to admit I was taken aback when I saw your user name.

"lurch" was the code name for David I Mixter, 1-1 RT Colorado. He was SOGs last KIA in Laos, Jan 71.

A good MoFo.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT California

Actual "Lurch" was a name that one of the guys in Recon (John "Hammy" Houser) code name Spearchucker called me. I think my code name was "huckleberry hounddog" or something I really don't remember. I've been called a lot of things "lurch" was just one of them. Hope the use here is OK. I didn't mean to cross over into a fellow soggers code name or cause a problem.

mike

TerribleTobyt
08-08-2004, 17:29
Actual "Lurch" was a name that one of the guys in Recon (John "Hammy" Houser) code name Spearchucker called me. I think my code name was "huckleberry hounddog" or something I really don't remember. I've been called a lot of things "lurch" was just one of them. Hope the use here is OK. I didn't mean to cross over into a fellow soggers code name or cause a problem.

mike

No prob with me, Bro.

Jes struck me kinda funny. Not funny, haha, jes - ya know, jes funny.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT California

Martinez
12-23-2004, 18:49
Toby Todd here. Ran on RT California with Joe Walker, 1-0, the same time Martin was doing his RT New York thingy.

I have all of John Plaster's books about SOG. IMHO, no one has done a better job of telling OUR story.

Martin, c'ya at SOAR, I hope.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT CAlifornia

Hey Toby, how the heck are ya? Speaking of Joe Walker, what's he up to these days?

Jennifer Martinez sends

The Reaper
12-23-2004, 19:21
JEN!!

Great to see you again!

Merry Christmas, little Sis!

TR

Martinez
12-23-2004, 19:28
Thanks Sir!

Merry Christmas and Happy Hand Grenades to you and yours! How ya been?

Jennifer sends

The Reaper
12-23-2004, 19:35
Thanks Sir!

Merry Christmas and Happy Hand Grenades to you and yours! How ya been?

Jennifer sends

Great, thanks!

Hope that the new year brings you enough time to visit here more often.

Be safe, take care.

TR

C/S PHOENIX 10
12-24-2004, 18:59
I just want to extend a special thanks to the men of the original ST and RT. As some of you may know my detachment brought back the old RT concept along the Afghan/Pakistan border region(on the Afgan side). As one may guess it was a hard sell to the higher-up's, but it was supported and had great results. We did nothing fancy just stuck the the basic, but it allow a single detachment and a handfull of Indig to disrupt many miles of border and take the fight back to the enemy. Again just want to say thank you and times may change, but somethings just work. Hat off to you all......

QRQ 30
12-24-2004, 22:29
The jungle became my friend. I had NVA walk so close to me I could reach out and touch them. The treeless open environment on Afghanistan must be a special problem. Keep up the good work!! :lifter

C/S PHOENIX 10
12-25-2004, 18:47
I can talk without violating OPSEC, because when we left so did the concept we employed. Basicly, we split ourselves into 4 RT. One heavy and three light. The light was comprised of 2 USSF and 5 HN, while the heavy package had a larger commo and medic skill sets. This team was 4 SF, 5 HN and terp. On the lights we didn't need a terp and would work through the radio with the heavy's terp if needed. Normally we would deploy all four RT's into a large box giving each RT their own AO. Acouple of times we deployed one or two RT's on their own. Our longest mission I think was about ten days. We where able to top-off on water from some streams to sustain. The open desert does have it's own challenges but one learns to adjust TTP's to fit the terrain. My father is an old SF from the day and so is my neigbor. Some of you old timers would be amazed how close Nam and Afghanistan really are minus the terrain piece. We have all of the border issues, and polical concerns that you all did and then some too. Afghanistan is the true forgotten war in America's eyes. But believe the stories that guys will tell. It is no Iraq, but there are plenty of bad dudes running around. On several occations we also deployed the RT's as a single large Mike force package plused up with additional HN reacting to other teams in contact or conducting other DA type of missions. Never got tied up like the old timers, but did our best to serve with honor and not bring shame to the RT's traditions under any conditions. Also the 4 RT's were RT RAPTOR, HAWK, OSPREY, KESTREL. I was the 1-0 of Raptor and Viking was the 1-1 on Hawk. RT Phoenix was our detachment made throw back long before we employed the RT concept in combat. I would like to go into more details but this is as far as I will go on a open forum.

rwt_bkk
12-25-2004, 19:53
C/S PHOENIX 10 wrote "but did our best to serve with honor and not bring shame to the RT's traditions under any conditions"

Listen all of us old SOGGIES are proud as hell of you guys. You are never forgotten amongst us. We hope that you will all join the SOA and come share your stories with us one day. It takes a little time before you can talk about everything. But we understand that.
We SALUTE you..

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you from all of us.

Keep Safe and Kill ALL the Bastards.

Ambush Master
12-25-2004, 20:39
Listen all of us old SOGGIES are proud as hell of you guys. You are never forgotten amongst us. We hope that you will all join the SOA and come share your stories with us one day. It takes a little time before you can talk about everything. But we understand that.
We SALUTE you..

HERE HERE !!! Hell, it took over 30 years for SOG to even be recognized, I hope you guys get treated beter than that.

C/S Phoenix, you mentioned that your Dad and neighbor are X-SF. Get them in here !!!

Glad it worked for ya. You guys please stay in touch.

Take care.
Martin

TerribleTobyt
01-16-2005, 20:18
C/S PHOENIX 10 wrote "but did our best to serve with honor and not bring shame to the RT's traditions under any conditions"

We SALUTE you..

You got that shit right, Bro!!!!!!!

God Bless You ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

We ARE so proud of Y'all!!!!!!!!!

scoot
01-17-2005, 03:44
Thank You,

Scott

Hardcore
02-12-2005, 02:21
Yo Gang,

First post on this site and being aFNG I am not sure about all the protocols. anyway, served with CCS from Sep '69 through August of '70. Launch site commander at Quan Loi, S4 at BMT for a while and then the XO. Also went into Cambodia at Ba Kev with CPT S, SFC H, and MSG W.

I am sure that I know who BMT is that posted a previous reply.

Is it OK to mention names here? If that is you Jackie, acknowledge

Hardcore

Roguish Lawyer
02-12-2005, 04:05
Yo Gang,

First post on this site and being aFNG I am not sure about all the protocols. anyway, served with CCS from Sep '69 through August of '70. Launch site commander at Quan Loi, S4 at BMT for a while and then the XO. Also went into Cambodia at Ba Kev with CPT S, SFC H, and MSG W.

I am sure that I know who BMT is that posted a previous reply.

Is it OK to mention names here? If that is you Jackie, acknowledge

Hardcore

Welcome to the Board!

TerribleTobyt
02-12-2005, 15:52
Hardcore!!!!!!!!

Welcome aboard!!!!!! ;)

Toby

Martinez
02-12-2005, 17:58
I second that emotion, its good to have you here with us, Hardcore.

BTW, since you were with CCS, did you by any chance know my dear friend Dale Libby?

Jennifer Martinez sends

CPTAUSRET
02-12-2005, 17:59
Hardcore, welcome aboard!

You are sure to find old friends here.

Terry

NousDefionsDoc
02-12-2005, 18:36
Welcome Hardcore

Sacamuelas
02-12-2005, 22:57
Welcome Hardcore!

Paul Duffy, Greg Hoisington, Toby and Hardcore(2)

Martinez
02-16-2005, 14:35
Ok Ringo my man, where are you?

Jennifer sends

bushmaster11
02-16-2005, 16:11
I was hijacked on my second tour to RVN and sent kicking & screaming w/ MP escort to the 11th ACR. I called everyone I could think of to help free me from my banishment. After about 2 weeks of being in the recon platoon, beating bushes w/ the Air Cav Troop, I got orders back to 5th SFG. Once back under SF control I volunteered for SOACCN. It is difficult to explain the operational and downtime environments between conventional vs SF. Both tours of duty were amazing. I eventually was the one-one on RT Bushmaster. During my 5 year association w/ SF community, I worked with the most remarkable people, they were colorful, the most competent of people I have ever worked with either before or since.

J R sends
De Oppresso Liber

Mick Strider
02-16-2005, 16:16
Wow......

This thread is incredible!

Thanks to all you crusty old bastards.......i feel honored to have had a chance to read your stories....i have the bumps.....

Thanks again and welcome home.

If i can be of ANY service.....please don't hesitate.

m

hurly
02-16-2005, 17:31
Hello all,
Just checking in. Served in CCN, 46th Co (loved Thailand) JCRC, 7th SFG
91B4S(now 18D)

NousDefionsDoc
02-16-2005, 19:55
Hello all,
91B4S(now 18D)

Welcome aboard. Always good to have another Doc in the house. 'Specially a 7th Group Doc. :lifter

Team Sergeant
02-16-2005, 20:06
Hello all,
91B4S(now 18D)

Welcome!

(Thailand is a wonderful place!)

TerribleTobyt
02-16-2005, 21:44
Welcome aboard. Always good to have another Doc in the house. 'Specially a 7th Group Doc. :lifter

Whats so whoopdydoo 'bout 7th Gp Medics???????

:D :rolleyes: :p

hurly
02-22-2005, 12:33
Because obviously we is the BEST! ;) :p

Doc
02-22-2005, 19:03
hurly

Welcome Aboard!

Doc

NousDefionsDoc
02-22-2005, 19:35
Indeed

TerribleTobyt
02-25-2005, 07:38
I was gonna post 'bout Dr Jeffrey MacDonald being the 7th Gp Surgeon, but- nah, I'll jes leave that alone!!!!!!!!

Toby-headin for the 5th Gp Medic bunker ovah heah, Boss!!!!!!!! :p

Roguish Lawyer
06-04-2007, 13:55
Time to resurrect this thread. I know we have a lot more SOG vets here now . . . :munchin

QRQ 30
06-04-2007, 14:00
Waddyawant?

I'm still here.

aka Whale.

Roguish Lawyer
06-04-2007, 14:01
Waddyawant?

I'm still here.

aka Whale.

LOL, good to hear from you, T!

MFFI115
06-04-2007, 16:09
CCS '69-'70 1st Exploitation Company & RT Nail
CCC 06/1970 - 12/1970 RT Alabama

The avatar pic is of RT Alabama at CCC; Fred (Jim) Morse, Al Waggle, and me.

Richard
06-04-2007, 16:20
The attached lists almost all of the RT's from CCN circa 71.
This is a 6 X 6-foot canvas tarp with a bulls eye painted in the center and “Bullseye” (flight call sign for CCN) written above it. This hung in the flight crews ready room of the MLT-2 compound at Quang Tri.

In October of 1971 there was a farewell gathering for CWO Gary Yates, B/158 AHB/101st ABD. The Bullseye Flight Insignia was signed by many of the recon team leaders and members, and then given to CW2 Yates along with a CCN plaque thanking him for his service to SF. Some team members wrote comments which had special meaning based on a particular mission or just reflecting the attitude of the RTs.

RT Team: Names: Statements:
Habu
L. D. McGlathern “The Lord giveth and Habu’s CAR-15’s taketh away”
Robert E. Cook
Richard D. Brackhausen

Habu
Nicholas Von Brakhousen “Baron 1st Class”

Intruder
SSG Risto Cherman
Sgt. Fraile

Cobra
William J. Kiempe “To Stump”
Ronald Davidson
Guy Wagy “ To the Chopper Jockey who busted my cherry”
Bac-si Malone

Rattler
Sgt. Bieber

Louisiana
John Levister
Ray Frovarp
Ed Weatford

Python
Sgt. Jim Baldwin

Idaho
Castillo
Pully

New Jersey
Sgt Don F. Murphy
Sgt. John H. Waters
Sgt. Tom B. Arbett

Kansas
George Cohrell
Mark Mcpherson

Virginia
Colin L. Chaffee

Sidewinder
Sgt. Sparling
Sgt. Laurent

Michigan
Bob Bolyon
Jean Shanky

Connecticut
J. Clegg

Mamba
Roger Pope
Mark Pollock

ASP
Sgt. Jim J. Thompson
Bill Quean

Adder
William S. Casa
Ronald C. Fletcher

Bushmaster
Eldon A. Bargewell
Jean Paul Castagna
Glenn A. Baggeth

Halo TM#3
Jim “Tub” Bath (JD)

Covey ML-2
Dave “Big Indian” Cheney

Georgia
(Jimmie) Johnson

Krait
Hendrick “Mud Hole” Waters

North Carolina
Ray Robinson

Moccasin
Johnny W. Elia
Steve Grish

Mississippi
Sgt. Folbre
Sgt. Page

Oklahoma
“Fast Eddie” Anderson
“No Spleen” Ross
Jim Kiehne “Doc”

C. Kennedy “Covey Dude”

“Hostile Man”

Connecticut Class & Deboner from 3 tight ass’s
Quang Tri BDA
SSG A. B. Smith
Sgt. “Twitch” Twidell
Sgt. “Snow Mobile” Bradow

Crusader
Injun Adams
Reese (Pee Wee)

incommin
06-04-2007, 17:05
Recondo (Recon Team Leader Course) Sept 1968. Was the 1-1 and then the 1-0 on RT Nail, CCS. RTLC was the only military training course I attended where students were sometimes lost to enemy action while in training.

Funny thing. I felt safer on operations they I did in our compound. And I have always felt that the SF guys stuck out in little camps and pushing CIDG or a Mike company had it much worse than I did!

Jim

FearMonkey
06-04-2007, 17:16
I feel safe in saying there's not a man alive that wears a Green Beret atop their head who feels like they'll ever be able to truly meet the standard set by SOG. All I can say is, wow. It's an honor.

QRQ 30
06-04-2007, 18:50
I feel safe in saying there's not a man alive that wears a Green Beret atop their head who feels like they'll ever be able to truly meet the standard set by SOG. All I can say is, wow. It's an honor.

In don't know how to take that. We all went through the same training and most of us spent one year in SOG and many years in other assignments. All SF -- All the Way!!

iamsf2@blogspot.com

Roycroft201
06-04-2007, 21:20
My former husband served at Duc Pho with the 174th AHC, (the Sharks and Dolphins), 1969 - 70, a crew chief and door gunner with the Sharks.

After I met him years later and were married ( I was a child bride, of course, LOL, :) ) he would occasionally speak about his experiences there, but not often.

More recently when I started reading about the history of MACV-SOG, in Major Plaster's books, and on this thread and others, suddenly remembering my ex- husband's words about flying into a hot LZ took on a whole new meaning for me.

As always, it is an honor to be a guest in your house.

Thank you to all the incredible MACV-SOG vets.

(Many of you are probably aware that the 174th has a very interesting web site.....www dot 174ahc dot org. On it's homepage is a great pic of the art work on the nose of the Sharks. It is right below the paragraph that starts with "Below: "Sharks on standby at the Gia Vuc Special Forces Camp........." )

Roycroft201

incommin
06-05-2007, 04:21
In don't know how to take that. We all went through the same training and most of us spent one year in SOG and many years in other assignments. All SF -- All the Way!!

iamsf2@blogspot.com

You got that right! But there are some out there that think their one or two years in SOG allows them to 'look down" on other SF'er! SOG was just another assignment for crying out loud!

Jim

QRQ 30
06-05-2007, 07:32
When I reported to Nha Trang I really knew nothing about SOG. It was a word you occasionally heard whispered in the dark corners of the Club. I was assigned to Command and Control Detachment, North. I was disappointed since I really didn't want to spend my time in a COMCEN in some HQ unit. As things turned out, I got more than I bargained for.:D In the old days we really did some Studying and observing. How many of y'all remember bring back little bottles or baggies with soil samples?

SOG is a little word for a big organization including all four services. OTOH when people hear SOG they thnk of our Recon peograms.

SOG was great because of Special Forces which was great long before SOG and still is, after SOG.:lifter

vnrecon
06-06-2007, 08:26
I guess I might as well put my $.02 in here as a check in before this thread disappears. Not that anyone would be interested in what I have to say.

Didn't make SOAR last year but had gotten my 20 the year pin before.

Got to see you Toby, " 'rwt bkk," Lurch" and " Ambush Master " also.

Thought " Richard " might have been " Nick " (Habu, Crusader) from CCN Recon but I guess it wasn't.

Hey " Roguish Lawyer " thanks for the Avatar as I probably couldn't have gotten it in place anyway.

Terry, I'm still working on that application, " My Bad " on "Spike Team Bear,"
CCS if I'm not mistaken but I'm only familiar with implement and weather names i.e. as with " The Bus, "( RT Plane) and weather names also.

QRQ 30
06-06-2007, 09:54
Soss" It was at Khe Sahn - FOB-3.
Keep steady on the app, several are now pulling for you.

rwt_bkk
06-14-2007, 18:00
welcome aboard Vnrecon. Well guys us old guys can at least still type..!

So a question, how many of you guys are actually writing or have written a book?

Just curious, been working on mine for about 2 years now (actually about 3 weeks out of 2 years).

dblevins
07-27-2007, 10:06
I was with a medic with B52 for part of their last mission out of Mai Loc. Was transferred to CCC since B52 was being disbanded. Was at CCC from late 1970 to Feb 1971. Mostly flying to Dak To every other day to support the recon teams. Got out of the military and returned to IBM (San Jose) when I returned to the states. Went into a "decompression" mode for the next 10 years or so. Am now retired and living in Oakhurst near Yosemite with my two Cocker Spaniels.

Merlyn
09-21-2007, 16:39
Hey, Bru. I'm working on a book. The agent to work with is a guy in NY who helped Bob Mayer along.

Mayer was in S. America with SF and is now a full-time professional writer.

Christophe
02-13-2008, 06:18
Gentlemen,

please keep us informed on your upcoming books.
I am sure ALL of us here would love to read them.

Respectfully,

Chris.

JSE
02-16-2008, 20:54
Thanks to RL for starting this thread; I feel that I'm in the presence of greatness after seeing so many SOG vets post in this thread...

Like RL, I too am a MACV-SOG enthusiast and self-proclaimed historian of sorts. About five years back, I began writing a historical-fictional story about a young man who volunteers for SOG and runs recon out of CCC beginning in 1969. As it sits now, my work is a scratch over 200 pages in Word and is still not yet finished. I've also had the humbling pleasure to have had several SOG vets read it, some of whom I included in my writing: Lee Burkins, John S. Meyer, Joseph Parnar, Tom Waskovich, and Frank Greco. I have received very high praise from these admirable men and truly appreciate their help and guidance.

If any of you who served in SOG would like, I can pass along their contact information to you if you haven't heard from them in a while. I know most of them attend the SOA Reunions each year.

VNRecon, I have also spoken with Richard "Nick" Brokhausen via email and can put you in contact with him if you'd like.

My hat is off to those of you who served in SOG. I'm very humbled to be in your presence, even if it is only the internet. :D

Jason

JMI
02-16-2008, 21:22
Gentlemen,

What would it take for the SOG gentlemen to follow through on the books you have started? I, too, am a SOG enthusiast and will be willing to bet 100% of this board is as well.

Before I get back in my lane, understand that you are the very men many of us would like more writing from, just as those before you could have shared about WWI, WWII, and Korea.

Damn few.

crabofwar
02-25-2008, 16:18
Hi all,
I'm Parker, and live in Virginia. I was only in the Army for 3 years. Two with SF. My tour in Vietnam was six months at B-42 in Chau Doc as admin officer. Second 6 months with C&C Fob 2, in Kontum. On paper I was company commander of a Yard company, and maybe for a very brief time the senior American at the Yard camp out of town.
I went out with a ST a couple times, then went to HF for most of the rest. I never did anything exciting or brave (stupid, yes.). But, am very proud to have been with SF and SOG.
In the field, I was bombed by US planes twice. Strafed by 50 cal from our Vietnamese navy once (during Tet). And minor hit from M-79 our point man used in hammer anvil "exercise". Got minor equipment damage from one of the Yards in my squad, when he chucked a grenade over my head. Damn near fragged by a friend behind the Yard camp, where he was practicing silently releasing grenade spoon. ( It was raining, and grenade slipped.)
Enemy only tried to get me twice. But, they were more successful. Grenade frags while I was going to R&R through Da Nang. They hit the HQ the night I was there, so I spent R&R on the USS Sanctuary.

vnrecon
02-25-2008, 21:43
Good to hear from all you old SOG guys and all others. Thought I better check in hear as I suppose everyone has thought I had died.
Thanks for the reply to my pms from ODA 226 ( on the matter of Franz Shoaf, I gather they may have located Steve Troxel of RT Hawaii, CCC Recon ) and from dblevins.
By the way BRU is your book finished yet?
What's the latest with you Ambush Master?
Once again, thanks for the avatar, Roguish Lawyer, your help was greatly appreciated as I would have been to stupid to get it where it should have been.
Always good to hear from you CPTAUSRET ( you were the first one to welcome me on this site ) and good to hear you hear as always TOBY, ( The old Joe Walker hand from RT California. )
Sorry to hear of the passing of Robin Moore as he had problems and I literally had to put my ear against his mouth to hear him speak, he could only whisper, and had to hop, step and jump to get himself going with a cane several years ago, at an SF Convention, but loved his stories about he and " The Duke," John Wayne, as he spent 3 months at " The Duke's " bedside before he passed on.
Very sorry to hear of the passing of Bill Boggs, a great CCN Recon man, ( not the Bill Boggs that was on the same team as John Walton, of the well known Walmart Family, who also ran recon out of CCN.
Please send our old SOG wishes to those others ailing, although, I don't believe I don't want to list them here, as they may not want that.
Yeah, Terry, I'm still working on that application!!! and hope to complete that shortly.
To all others on this site, please feel free to pm me no matter who you are as I always appreciate the latest commo.

What can I say, " The Memories Were Brief, But The Moments Were Lasting; In The Late 1960's And Early 1970's, SOG Recon Was Definately Life In The World's Fast Lane. "

Take care,

alright4u
03-25-2008, 07:31
Volunteered for C&C ( FOB 2) June12, 68. Ended up at BMTE. Told a new C&C was being started & would be in on ground floor. FOB 2 took a Captain with far more experience then I had. I never blamed them. I needed to learn. I do not recall any recon course from mid 68-mid 69. Had an HF company with great NCO's, then went to launch site, then to 3 shop. I do not think anyone can say SOG was better then all. Had friends in II Corps Mike Force, who were every bit as good or better then I was. Do not know any war stories I want to share.

Like any job in SF, it was teamwork that got men in and out. From the S-2 briefing on target area, to the VR, to men on the launch sites, from the SF launch site NCOIC who bootlegged Freqs, to the pilots and crew and man riding with FAC, it took a team effort. I do recall we had a 10 school running local OPS when I got back in mid April 69. Or so I was told. A few went to MACV RECONDO school, but; most was OJT with senior NCO's having the real experience who trained all.

gagners
03-27-2008, 11:36
Gents-

I mentioned in another thread a few months back that I was fortunate to meet more than a few SOG warriors at a veteran's meet-up while underway on the Carnival Valor.

After listening to some of the stories and reading Plaster's books, I cannot convey what a priveldge it is to have the opportunity to say "thank you".

You inspired the generation of warriors that continues to inspire mine. Again, thank you.

QRQ 30
04-30-2008, 14:10
See! There really was a Tm Cutlass as well as Saber. We were so secret we had to kill anyone who knew what we were up tp.:D Sam Sanford who was the project commander found this picture and sent it to me. I designed the patch which was an adaption of the SOG crest.

rwt_bkk
05-16-2008, 23:19
Belated reply to all that asked. Yes still working on the book. In the edit mode, actually wrote it already. Now trying to make it sound like I at least graduated HS...

I am doing mine as a novel for several reasons. One of the main ones is that I wanted to include the scope of mission scenarios besides my own. I have included my missions in there and added a few more mainly based on conversations with other recon guys in the club.

I also am thinking about have the character stay in SF a lot longer than I did and have a series that will take him into a more modern SF with an emphasis on special operations.

At least that is my "thinking" time is another factor that always seems to get in the way when translating into action.

TerribleTobyt
05-18-2008, 23:48
Good stuff here, y'all!! :)

Fletcher's son
06-21-2008, 01:12
My name is mathew fletcher, son of the late ronald c. fletcher. dad was at ccn in '71 i know because of his acm with v device award letter. most of the paperwork states only "earned while in enemy occupied and denied territory"
Dad was 1-1, 1-2 of rt adder i believe. i found an rt adder patch along with his lucky boonie hat. and he once told me he was 1-1, 1-2 of his rt . at his funeral the acting commander of the fifth group and 3 other fine soldiers paid their last respects and saluted him and gave him his hat for his last mission. they gave me their unit coin and i sent them bacak to ft campbell with a thank you card and some travel money. dad gave them by way of me a cigar and three cases of beer. they included me in their final toast to a fellow warrior. I felt incredibly privileged. I have done alot of research in a short amount of time. and you guys....your'e the men that other guys want to be like. truly some bad mother fxxxxx. Does anyone remember my father. i know only two names he spoke regularly. don "sluggo" murphy and fred "lightning" wunderlich. iv'e spoken with don. emailed fred in thailand. no response. mathewfletcher@yahoo.com
Courage, honor and Bravery are as everyday to you gentlemen as clocking in for work. i feel as though im in the presence of gods when i talk to or stand next to you gentlemen.

rwt_bkk
06-27-2008, 22:15
Matthew, thank you for your kind words, always remember that your father was one of us.

Honor and Steel
Bru

Fletcher's son
07-01-2008, 06:17
How could I forget. He was the greatest man I ever knew. I tell people where and when he served and they react like its no big thing. after finishing stolen valor and secret commandos by john plaster it all takes on a new meaning for me. I never knew that as a culture we are so ignorant of what our soldiers give to be in service to our country. I spoke with Jim Hetrick, president SOA. He told me a man by the name of Hardy was writing a series of books on every team in ccn. He asked if i minded if he gave him my number for some photos for the book on rt adder. Pops may be immortalized in print. Dad liked a book titled "break contact, continue mission". As i said, I've read one of Plaster's books and have another on order. Any other reading suggestions?

Richard
07-01-2008, 06:46
Any other reading suggestions?

Running Recon by Frank Greco; SOG: Team History and Insignia of a Clandestine Army by Jason Hardy and Michael Tucker--covers RTs Montana, Asp, Hawaii, Indigo, Idaho, Colorado, and Rattler.

Gutes lesen! :o

Richard

Fletcher's son
07-03-2008, 13:42
Thank you very much. I will be knee deep in pages for a few weeks now. Reading Stolen Valor currently. It's somewhat amazing to me that when you stray from the drivel and literary diarrhea that some college history classes declare required reading, their confusingly angled "history", becomes a touch clearer. I never knew that, even having a special forces soldier for a dad, I was so ignorant.

shortrnd
07-26-2008, 06:31
i just spent the last hour or so reading this section. amazing stuff. thanks to all of you.

BMT (RIP)
08-01-2008, 11:39
http://www.macvsog.cc/1971.htm#1971http://www.macvsog.cc/1971.htm#1971

BMT

122418b
08-06-2008, 23:00
You gentlemen have my greatest respect.

akunochi
08-07-2008, 07:19
I really enjoyed reading this thread. I was privileged to have two former MACV-SOG operators as instructors in the 18C course. These two gentlemen that I'm sure some of you know are just beyond impressive with their knowledge, but also good for a laugh. Just wanted to say thanks.

glebo
08-07-2008, 10:34
Do any of you old timers remember my father in law, James Farley?? He's got a MAC-V SOG plaque with his name on it in his collection. He retired in 70-71. He was over there in the very early years also. He talks mostly about Than-Phu (sp?) and a couple of other places I can't remember/pronounce. I think most of his time was down south around the delta.

thanks.

Ambush Master
08-07-2008, 16:49
There is a Clark J. Farley listed in "Who's Who From MACV-SOG.

glebo
08-11-2008, 13:41
thanks, he's james edward farley. he may have had a nick name...probably more colorful I would imagine

alright4u
10-04-2008, 12:58
The man who stated we had no one zero school in 68 is also accurate for Omega and even early CCS until about March or April of 69. Frankly, when I came back to CCS from the northern launch site at Duc Co about 10-12 Apr 69 for the 3 shop, no one told me we had a recon school that consisted of running local OPS. I would think the asst S-3 should know that, especially when the two asst S-3's were told to send HF's in to exploit targets or bail out a team in trouble. Perhaps, they thought I knew?

Anyway, I was on the staff for the first 56 days, then had 2nd company Omega for about six months, then went to the northern launch site to take Frank Lambert's job at his request, plus a few others, and; I spent all of a whopping14 days in the 3 shop before being medivaced. I am proud that we never lost a recon man when I was with the FAC and during my time up north from Duc Lap to Duc Co. It was not my job to question a 10 on the ground, as one cannot judge a firefight from an O-2. The man on the ground is always the one, who knows his situation best. Having two teams in contact at once stretched the air assets and the 20th SOS got them out after we figured out which team to support/ pull first and how to get gunships to get to the other team ASAP. I saw pilots fly a team back to Duc Co with a bullet through their shoulder, plus a number of shot up birds.

I look back at the recon men we had in mid 68 to early 69, and; most 10's were senior NCO's with at least two tours. We had our own legends in Omega like FOB2 and CCN had.

After the 24 April 69 HF OP into COSVN and even before, we knew the OPS down south west of the fishook were tough.

Basically, I like to keep in touch with the men from Omega/CCS, plus some of the other C&C men I know from the Kontum and DaNang HQ's and those I served with later. I have met a number of CCN recon men whom I consider friends. We put a few CCN teams in from our northern and southern launch sites in 68- early 69.

incommin
10-05-2008, 17:45
The man who stated we had no one zero school in 68 is also accurate for Omega and even early CCS until about March or April of 69.

I do not understand this statement. I went through the One-Zero course, called the Recon Team Leader Course, in Nov 68 after being assigned to CCS. And there were individuals on teams that had been through the course before me because I received a run down on the course and told what to expect from members on other teams.

alright4u
10-06-2008, 18:42
[QUOTE=alright4u;228002]The man who stated we had no one zero school in 68 is also accurate for Omega and even early CCS until about March or April of 69.

I do not understand this statement. I went through the One-Zero course, called the Recon Team Leader Course, in Nov 68 after being assigned to CCS. And there were individuals on teams that had been through the course before me because I received a run down on the course and told what to expect from members on other teams.

Fact: We had no CCS in Nov 68.

Fact: MSG Bull D,. was recon platoon leader until -8/16/68. He went to Nhon Co a Team Daddy.

Fact: 1LT Curtis, a prior SFC Ranger School Mountain instructor took over recon on 08/16/68. Curtis made Recon train on rigs and ladders south of camp.

Fact: Next came another friend, Harrison.. He was on the ground with Hughes and Franks in T-51 when Flemming was put in for CMH 26 Nov 68 or so.

Fact: Recon had no one zero school unless one calls rope ladder and rig training a school or went to MACV Recondo or went out with a senior NCO 10 in 68.

Fact: Ortman comes to CCS from Sigma. Gets hit with bullet in WP grenade and gets burned badly.

Fact: I never saw recon run a single local OP in mid 68 to late 68 from June 68 to 12/31.68..

Perhaps, I was asleep.

incommin
10-06-2008, 20:32
alright4u, all I know is I arrived at Ban Me Thuot in Sept 1968. My orders read SOA (CCS). The Omega sign was down and leaning against a wall near the supply shed. I attended a course called the Recon Team Leaders Course at the RECONDO school. And by 11 November I was running with SFC Ellis as my One Zero on RT Nail. I do not remember a LT Curtis. I remember Harrison and a bull dog of a Major (who's name escapes me for the moment). I do not remember any drills or training around the camp except for the immediate action drills individual teams practiced.

I remember Hughes and Franks and several others who ran recon. I too do not remember any recon team running a local recon or patrol. The LLDB ran a few. And some of the security people ran a few. I only remember the recon teams working across or near border operations.

I did not mean to jerk your chain or start a food fight. If you say I was assigned to Omega when I arrived in Sept 69, I'll say, whatever......

alright4u
10-07-2008, 14:33
Yes, We had the MACV Recondo School then. That was the only school for recon until about early 69 when the new S-3 came in. The NCO's I stay in touch with and see at SOAR tell me that after I went to the launch site, the new S-3 and others started and in country recon program at CCS.

I am not up on all the details of it, as I was only in the CCS compound one night in 69 when Major Anonsen, senior FAC flew me back. Then , in April of 69, about the 10th or 12th, I was called back to BMTE as a CPT with a First Cav patch needed command time.

As to the Major you decribed- the NCO's call him - "The Dancing Bear." I stay away from war stories and like the funny stuff. I worked for that Major for about two weeks. A 4th ID full Bull BDE CO and his S-2 Major arrived at Duc Co. The Major was doing one handed pushups. The Col looks at him like he is crazy. Next the Col ask the launch site NCOIC who runs this place. The senior NCO from OKI on TDY pointed away from the "Dancing Bear."

Richard
10-07-2008, 20:50
All,

I checked my resources on this one (Saal, Hardy, Stanton, Plaster, Sutherland) and came up with the following:

Omega and Sigma were formed at the same time 8/66

Omega was at FOB2 Camp Reno, Kontum, until it moved to FOB5 Ban Me Thuot in 1967; Omega ran its first mission 9/66; Omega brought its RT names from FOB2 to FOB5 and they remained during CCS

Sigma was at FOB 6 Ho Ngoc Tau until it moved to Ban Me Thout 11/68; Sigma RTs were numbered like Delta until the move to Ban Me Thuot

Omega and Sigma moved from E Co, 5th SFG to MACVSOG C&C 11/67 with assignment then through Special Operations Augmentation, 5th SFG

Omega and Sigma became CCS 11/68

Long Thanh was opened 7/61 and Kham Duc 9/63

Long Thanh was used as training center and then as SOG B-53 training center beginning 6/65 for Shining Brass Ops

Kham Duc was used to train Road Watch teams, reaction force, MLS for Shining Brass Ops (began 10/65 until 1967); it developed a RT training center beginning 65 and was known variously as 1-0 school, C&C school, SOG Recon school, jungle school until it closed 67 and all SOG RT training was then with B-53

There was a lot of confusion for several years as the various projects were formed, moved, and then merged as lines of C&C were developed

Richard :munchin

RT AXE 10
10-08-2008, 10:02
Arrived in B-56 (SIGMA), August 66 and assigned to team #1 as Team Leader (One Zero). Numbers were used till sometime in late 67 to early 68. We (RT's) then became tools. Axe, Hammer, Saw, etc.
One Zero school was in progress during the early 68 time frame. I departed RVN in May 68.

AXE
Early in the morning before the sun would rise, walked 4 indige and 2 round eyes. You could'nt hear a sound not even a squeak. They knew their (9dits +1 dah) was weak. RECON

MFFI115
10-07-2011, 07:02
I attended SOAR XXXV last month in Vegas. Next year it wil be in October. Let's get some old guys out there and you younger guys, too!! Theres' been a regime change in SOA, and it's for the better. SOAR's a great time. Come on out.

BTW, Plaster calls me a Chase Medic in his last book in the episode about the Bright Light mission for Fat Albert. For the record, I wasn't, or ever have been a medic. I was at the launch site with my team, RT Alabama, waiting to launch and went with the BL as an extra gun.

Hammer11
10-08-2011, 19:59

Ambush Master
10-08-2011, 21:15
Sorry I couldn't make it this year. Hope to be there for the next one.

Take care.
Martin
SOA #150-GL

cbtengr
10-11-2011, 19:03
I could not put John Plaster's book Secret Commandos down once I started reading it. I have nothing but the utmost of respect for those of you who were a part of SOG. I have nothing but contempt for a government that allowed the NVA the troop and equipment pipelines thru Cambodia and Laos into South Vietnam, how many of our guys were lost because of our lack of an active all out campaign in those countries? The losses alone to the members of SOG were staggering and the blood of those men will forever be on the hands of the politicians who were calling the shots. To all of you who have posted to this thread Thank You!! And God Bless You!! The following is a link that I have visited many times it has in many cases put a face to the name of of one of our fallen warriors and at the very least told their story.

www.virtualwall.org/u-army/macv-sog.htm

LRB

alright4u
10-11-2011, 20:19
Anyone want a SOA application, let me know. Being Secretary, I can get you one. Any members here who were on orders assigning them to SOC for any theater of GWOT (direct combat role) are also qualified for membership.

We need new blood too.

You are doing a fine job.

Ambush Master
10-11-2011, 20:34
I could not put John Plaster's book Secret Commandos down once I started reading it. I have nothing but the utmost of respect for those of you who were a part of SOG. I have nothing but contempt for a government that allowed the NVA the troop and equipment pipelines thru Cambodia and Laos into South Vietnam, how many of our guys were lost because of our lack of an active all out campaign in those countries? The losses alone to the members of SOG were staggering and the blood of those men will forever be on the hands of the politicians who were calling the shots. To all of you who have posted to this thread Thank You!! And God Bless You!! The following is a link that I have visited many times it has in many cases put a face to the name of of one of our fallen warriors and at the very least told their story.

www.virtualwall.org/u-army/macv-sog.htm

LRB

Here's a BUMP to an old link in here, that will open a few eyes for MANY, that think that they understand.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15653

Later!!
Martin

f50lrrp
11-10-2011, 14:07
Recondo (Recon Team Leader Course) Sept 1968. Was the 1-1 and then the 1-0 on RT Nail, CCS. RTLC was the only military training course I attended where students were sometimes lost to enemy action while in training.

Funny thing. I felt safer on operations they I did in our compound. And I have always felt that the SF guys stuck out in little camps and pushing CIDG or a Mike company had it much worse than I did!

Jim

I graduated from Recondo School in February '68. Then I was assigned to the Third Mobile Strike Force Ccommand (B-36) as a Team Leader (1-0)!

Mike

JYD73
02-24-2012, 17:29
Gentlemen of the SOAs, 5th SFG(Abn), 1st SF, I am working on a case of a downgraded Medal of Honor nomination and I have noticed a couple of other very similar cases in doing research. These are cases that involve downgraded Medal of Honors to Distinguished Service Crosses.

I know that there are cases of Medals of Honors downgraded to Silver Stars, but because of the lack of record keeping on Silver Stars, I have not been able to track many of these.

My particular interest has evolved from one case of a downgraded Medal of Honor nomination of a friend of mine, to what appears to be a pattern of downgraded medals for SOA warriors. I believe this can be attributed to the classification of missions, the misunderstanding of SOG operations in the Vietnam conflict by the Regular Army with the odds that you stood against, and the political climate at the time most especially 1970 forward.

Do any of you SOA warriors know if Sgt. James N. Pruitt and SSgt. Gary Michael Rose are still living, and are you in contact with them?

I am hoping to get Congressional support for an insertion of legislation similar to that in the 1996 National Defense Authorization Act, inserted into the 2013 National Defense Authorization Act. If not 2013, then I will keep trying. When this can be achieved, it could be beneficial to them and other SOA warriors of the Vietnam era.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance that members of the MACSOG(MACV-SOG) SOAs may be able to provide. And thank you for your incredible service above and beyond what most people realize.

tom kelly
02-24-2012, 20:43
Gentlemen of the SOAs, 5th SFG(Abn), 1st SF, I am working on a case of a downgraded Medal of Honor nomination and I have noticed a couple of other very similar cases in doing research. These are cases that involve downgraded Medal of Honors to Distinguished Service Crosses.

I know that there are cases of Medals of Honors downgraded to Silver Stars, but because of the lack of record keeping on Silver Stars, I have not been able to track many of these.

My particular interest has evolved from one case of a downgraded Medal of Honor nomination of a friend of mine, to what appears to be a pattern of downgraded medals for SOA warriors. I believe this can be attributed to the classification of missions, the misunderstanding of SOG operations in the Vietnam conflict by the Regular Army with the odds that you stood against, and the political climate at the time most especially 1970 forward.

Do any of you SOA warriors know if Sgt. James N. Pruitt and SSgt. Gary Michael Rose are still living, and are you in contact with them?

I am hoping to get Congressional support for an insertion of legislation similar to that in the 1996 National Defense Authorization Act, inserted into the 2013 National Defense Authorization Act. If not 2013, then I will keep trying. When this can be achieved, it could be beneficial to them and other SOA warriors of the Vietnam era.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance that members of the MACSOG(MACV-SOG) SOAs may be able to provide. And thank you for your incredible service above and beyond what most people realize.
According to Stephen Sherman' list of "Who WAS Who" from Special Forces, SOG, SFA, SOA, S/Sgt. James M. Pruitt of Winston-Salem,NC 27127-9083 was born 5/14/1945 DIED 1/04/2007..
I do not know S/Sgt. Gary Michael Rose and have no info on him. your best contact would be Steve Sherman XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Good Luck, Tom Kelly

JYD73
02-25-2012, 14:45
I’m very sorry to hear about Sgt. James Pruitt, thank you for letting me know. SSgt. Gary M. Rose was a Medic with SOA(CCC) in and around 1970. Below are links to their DSC citations:

SSgt. Gary M. Rose
http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=4565

Sgt. James N. Pruitt
http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=5520
(http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=5520)

Richard
02-25-2012, 14:56

Contact the Special Operations Association - a simple web search will help.

Richard

JYD73
02-25-2012, 15:03
Has anyone had any luck with the National Archives in researching MACSOG and the SOA missions? I have been searching for actual mission briefs and AARs for a particular mission. I had been told that these were mixed in with 5th Group Vietnam records, no luck so far. I’ve been told by others that those details are not there, but in different places if they still exist.

I did find this information on-line, approximately 2,000 pages of declassified material from the Vietnam Conflict. It is on the Department of Defense website. About half way down the list are a number of SOG documents.

http://www.dod.mil/pubs/foi/International_security_affairs/vietnam_and_southeast_asiaDocuments/

I should also mention that the JFK Special Warfare Museum at Bragg is currently finishing a MACV-SOG exhibit. I saw it in the beginning stages, it is definitely worth going to see.

JYD73
02-25-2012, 17:13
Thanks Richard, I have some contacts there, will do.

alright4u
02-26-2012, 12:13
Has anyone had any luck with the National Archives in researching MACSOG and the SOA missions? I have been searching for actual mission briefs and AARs for a particular mission. I had been told that these were mixed in with 5th Group Vietnam records, no luck so far. I’ve been told by others that those details are not there, but in different places if they still exist.

I did find this information on-line, approximately 2,000 pages of declassified material from the Vietnam Conflict. It is on the Department of Defense website. About half way down the list are a number of SOG documents.

http://www.dod.mil/pubs/foi/International_security_affairs/vietnam_and_southeast_asiaDocuments/

I should also mention that the JFK Special Warfare Museum at Bragg is currently finishing a MACV-SOG exhibit. I saw it in the beginning stages, it is definitely worth going to see.

I can only state that all Omega and CCS cross border OPS AAR's were destroyed. In fact, the first CCS CO was stationed in the Pentagon from June 69-72 or so. He went to look up something for a friend. He was shocked that all our AAR's were missing.

oifcmb24
03-11-2012, 23:51
Just wanted to tell all of you thank you for all that you did. If any of you are ever in Colorado Springs, hit me up. I would love to have a beer with you in honor of all those who never returned.

BMT (RIP)
03-16-2012, 04:32
http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/jfq_pubs/1823.pdf

BMT

JYD73
03-21-2012, 21:41
Thanks BMT for the links, both here and on the other post. Some I had found, and some I had not. I have been pouring over them. The paper http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/jfq_pubs/1823.pdf by Richard H Shultz, Jr. particularly outlines the roots of the misunderstanding of SOG by the Chain of Command and the frustrations the warriors of SOG must have experienced in dealing with them. Myself and others feel this misunderstanding of SOG was one reason so many medals and awards were downgraded, the conventional elements of the military simply had no idea who you were and what you were doing.

One thing I had to do for the effort I am working on is confirm what I’ve been told about the original AARs of SOG, to a level at which it could be specifically cited. Sadly, I can now cite the original AARs are gone. Any references to actual missions are going to be in the SOG Command Histories and MACSOG weekly reports to CINCPAC. The first are only declassed in parts and the latter have not been seen since the war. Both would only have summaries, and lack most detail. I do now know, that what I am looking for is in Annex B of the 1970 MACSOG Command History, and of course it is in the pages that have not been declassed. But it would only be a summary.

The mission I am researching was one of approximately 200 platoon sized Prairie Fire Exploitation Force missions conducted during the war, resulting in contact with what is reported to be elements of the 66th NVA Regiment(unconfirmed), an Arc-light of the area, and follow-up BDA by RT Washington. RT Washington was also hit hard on the BDA that followed (with the loss of Sgt. George Curtis Green).

Using the information gained I have been able to locate the area of action of the Exploitation Force action to within a 15 square km area (around grid 48PYB6449). The Army wants maps and diagrams so I was able to provide a map of the area and make diagrams from original witness statements. I’m also working with interpreting some of the DoD Regs and US Code that would concern this effort, but that is another matter.

So thank you again, and I am listening to anything you all can tell me. I am particularly interested in any information of the early December 2-5? 1970 mission of RT Washington and what they found on the BDA. I would very much like to confirm what the exploitation force had encountered just before RT Washington.

Cool Breeze
05-22-2012, 14:38
Moved out to the midwest in January and joined the ski patrol at a local hill. On my first day, I was asked about my background and mentioned being in SF. I then was introduced to a fellow patroller whose Dad was MACV-SOG in Vietnam. My buddy's Dad and his Mom met in Vietnam and Ken Bute brought his wife, daughter, and son back to the US. Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to meet Ken (he passed away last year). I did find his pic online from "back in the day" and spoke with someone who went through SFQC with him.
Small world.

bushmaster11
07-17-2012, 12:53
Last visit to Bragg was for the PUC ceremony Apr 2001 just prior to GWOT. Good to see faces from the past. Current crop of SF operators seemed bigger, faster, and maybe smarter than we were. But at that time 9/11 had not created the fast pace optempo wear and tear that exists today. The current crop are as good if not better than we were. We are all in the same gene pool, there should not be a sense of superiority.

De Oppresso Liber

rwt_bkk
07-18-2012, 08:10
At this point in life, seems like everyone is bigger, faster and smarter that I am :)

lovemycountry
11-21-2012, 20:54
All,

This has been some of the best 45 minutes of reading I have ever had. I have been so grateful to SF for along time but to read this thread, in its entirety, is chilling. I'm glad I found this thread as I have read many. Our country owes so much to all of you. I have read many books on 1966 to 1969 (Meyer, Donahue, Nicholson,Miller, Rottman) and will know turn my reading to Plasters SOG, Secret Commandos and Stolen Valor. ( any suggestions on the sequence ?)

Thanks to Ambush Master for some guidance that I needed to date.

oda751
11-24-2012, 21:44
Sgm Edward Thatcher. E-5/6 at the time at FOB2. Worked in commo bunker with SFC Butrim, SFC Thompson. While I was there I knew Squirill Sprouse, Snake Adams, Howard, Zabakoski, Terry, Goodhue, Musselman, and many others. Mad Dog Shiver was they for a short while with his monkey. Have some pictures. Just moved Nov 2012 to Navarre FL near Eglin and the 7th SFGA.

JYD73
12-20-2012, 15:02
Gentlemen,

By chance did any of you MACV-SOG warriors serve with SGT James N. Pruit? Could you tell me which RT he was with, and any details of the 17 July 1969 POW snatch mission on which he was nominated for the Medal of Honor? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

lovemycountry
12-20-2012, 20:36
JYD, I have no information for you but share your want for info....On 17 July 1969...James Pruit not only performed a prisoner Snatch but performed 2 snatches...unfortunately both were "silenced" during the attack. "Sergeant Pruitt threw his own body against the prisoner of war in an effort to prevent his death. ""However, the numerically superior enemy force gained fire superiority and seriously wounded Sergeant Pruitt and silenced their captured comrade." There was no mention of what RT. I share your thirst for knowledge. I have read many books but cannot find more info.

LMC

DDD
12-20-2012, 20:52
Gentlemen,

By chance did any of you MACV-SOG warriors serve with SGT James N. Pruit? Could you tell me which RT he was with, and any details of the 17 July 1969 POW snatch mission on which he was nominated for the Medal of Honor? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

Don't know the RT he was with. He talked to my phase III class in depth about that mission (but I've forgotten a lot). His 1-1 was Buck Buchanan and after he (Pruit) was evaced because of his wounds (eviseration, collapased lung, right ear partially detached, and a 7.62 through one foot) Donnie Powers replaced him as the 1-0. The 7.62 wound was inflicted by gunships making East/West and North/South runs on their postion prior to a slick dropping a Mcguire rig for extract.

Hope this helps.

lovemycountry
12-20-2012, 21:25
Don't know the RT he was with. He talked to my phase III class in depth about that mission (but I've forgotten a lot). His 1-1 was Buck Buchanan and after he (Pruit) was evaced because of his wounds (eviseration, collapased lung, right ear partially detached, and a 7.62 through one foot) Donnie Powers replaced him as the 1-0. The 7.62 wound was inflicted by gunships making East/West and North/South runs on their postion prior to a slick dropping a Mcguire rig for extract.

Hope this helps.
was that Ralph (BUCK) Buchanan? If so look at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=mr&MRid=47009460...he mentions Vietnam

DDD
12-20-2012, 21:28
Sorry, L don't know. Never met the man.
DDD

Ambush Master
12-21-2012, 16:55
was that Ralph (BUCK) Buchanan? If so look at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=mr&MRid=47009460...he mentions Vietnam

Negative. There were Kyle R., Larry D., and Michael D., but no Ralph in SOG.

JYD73
12-23-2012, 14:43
Thanks for the info, I will try looking into the Buchanan and Powers route. No bit of information is too small, as it generally leads to new avenues of research. I will be FOIA ing SSGT Pruitts MoH packet sometime soon, but I know that will not contain the RT team. Unfortunately the location of action will only read "deep in enemy occupied territory" as well. His MoH packet is one of only three that were downgraded and are fully contained in the National Archives. Hopefully(fingers crossed) there will be legislation this spring going into the NDAA to waive the time limit and provide a route for review to upgrade these and other MACV-SOG and Special Operations time sensative medals and awards. I'm headed back to DC in March to work on gathering more support for this legislative effort, which is 1/2 of the battle. Never thought I'd be a lobbyist, but apparently now I am, sort of. The other half will be preparing packets for the actual reviews themselves through the Army, and SSGT Pruitts mission has the least information available. So thanks much for even the smallest bits of information!

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

bushmaster11
06-10-2013, 21:11
Has anyone had trouble getting PUC put on DD 214? St Louis said to go through Board of Corrections. I filed their forms and submitted the packet last year. I just got their decision and they have denied including the PUC on DD 214 because my records reflect assignment to SOACCN. My records show no affiliation with MACV-SOG. I had sent them all orders to and from CCN. I also included the GO for the PUC. How did others get the PUC into their official file. I am retired, no pressing reason, other than the pride of being recognized by any future ancestors.

J R sends
De Oppresso Liber

Richard
06-10-2013, 21:51
Has anyone had trouble getting PUC put on DD 214? St Louis said to go through Board of Corrections. I filed their forms and submitted the packet last year. I just got their decision and they have denied including the PUC on DD 214 because my records reflect assignment to SOACCN. My records show no affiliation with MACV-SOG. I had sent them all orders to and from CCN. I also included the GO for the PUC. How did others get the PUC into their official file. I am retired, no pressing reason, other than the pride of being recognized by any future ancestors.

J R sends
De Oppresso Liber

I'd resubmit it with an attachment citing something like Plaster's or Greco's or Hardy's or Saal's books offering a documented historical narrative explaining exactly how 5th SFG SOA was a "cover" for assignment to MACVSOG. Effin' legs today have no idea otherwise.

Good luck.

Richard

Badger52
06-11-2013, 05:52
I'd resubmit it with an attachment citing something like Plaster's or Greco's or Hardy's or Saal's books offering a documented historical narrative explaining exactly how 5th SFG SOA was a "cover" for assignment to MACVSOG. Effin' legs today have no idea otherwise.

Good luck.

RichardYGBSM sir. This is a sorry state of affairs; maybe the Wiki entry would be something they'd understand. Jeebers.
:rolleyes:

JYD73
06-25-2013, 09:09
Hope this helps, a more detailed message sent too sir!

http://www.history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/Retro%20Awards/2009/182-02_20090701_HRCMD_DAGO-2001-25.pdf

bushmaster11
07-16-2013, 16:15
I resubmitted an appeal. I sent them a copy of the actual General Order 25, In the FIRST sentence when listing units that are covered is 5th SFG, SOACCN. I also sent them additional orders that leave no doubt of assignment. I then asked them why did they not bother to look at the order with it spelled out for them. I know I should not have, but I am still Pissed. Will post final adjudication. Thanks all.

J R sends
DOL

bushmaster11
08-27-2013, 14:03
Got letter from Review Board. Will not use initial case number, so it has new number which puts it back of the line to start over. So, it will take another year to make the decision.

J R sends
DOL

JYD73
11-13-2016, 07:02
I haven’t been on here in quite some time. Hope you gentlemen are well. Most of you have probably heard or seen about Mike Rose’s upgrade of this DSC to the Medal of Honor as he was originally nominated. We’re in last phase of this effort, just waiting for the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act with time-limit waiver to go through authorizing POTUS to present. Many thanks for those who assisted in contacts and helping to find people to complete this mission. Below is the article from the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/us/secret-war-laos-gary-rose.html?_r=0

DClaudeW
09-04-2017, 19:45
[QUOTE=JYD73;436479]Gentlemen of the SOAs, 5th SFG(Abn), 1st SF, I am working on a case of a downgraded Medal of Honor nomination and I have noticed a couple of other very similar cases in doing research. These are cases that involve downgraded Medal of Honors to Distinguished Service Crosses.

I was in the same barrack's room as James N Pruitt during training group. He and I would visit a girls' college in South Carolina. Jim was a tall lanky ladies man. He had many girlfriends. I visited him in the hospital at Womack, but he was so badly injured that I could not cope with his injuries. I only visited him once. A Google shows that Jim earned the DSC and died in 2007. He was from OK.

Pete
09-05-2017, 05:59
Hey, Dave, I see you joined back in 2012 and only have one post showing. Your intro post may have been lost in the deleted intro thread.

Could you go ahead and post another intro in the intro thread?

Golf1echo
09-21-2017, 22:34
I haven’t been on here in quite some time. Hope you gentlemen are well. Most of you have probably heard or seen about Mike Rose’s upgrade of this DSC to the Medal of Honor as he was originally nominated. We’re in last phase of this effort, just waiting for the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act with time-limit waiver to go through authorizing POTUS to present. Many thanks for those who assisted in contacts and helping to find people to complete this mission. Below is the article from the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/us/secret-war-laos-gary-rose.html?_r=0

I noticed this on one of my feeds today : https://www.army.mil/article/193729/vietnam_war_soldier_to_receive_medal_of_honor_for_ actions_in_laos

Incredible respect for all who served in MACV-SOG and humbling to read this thread.
Best

JYD73
09-25-2017, 18:42
Gentlemen,

I wanted to thank you for sharing your knowledge with this NG Leg, and for assisting me in contacts with some of these warriors. This effort is concluded, but others continue. History has many wrongs, and there is one fewer now.

Ever Forward!
Neil

http://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2017/09/20/former-sf-medic-to-receive-medal-of-honor-for-mission-long-kept-secret/