PDA

View Full Version : KU Amazing Victory - Lessons for Life

3SoldierDad
04-08-2008, 10:40
My Medic son in Ramadi missed last nights KU victory. He was born in Lawrence and my entire family are Jayhawk fans...I was writing him this morning on some of the many life lessons in last night's game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Mike…

Wow, you missed a game for the ages. Well, you’ll hear all about it on the news so I won’t reprise all the things that you will no doubt hear. Needless to say there are several life lessons from the game last night…

Little things matter – In the end, Memphis lost because they couldn’t make their free throws in the last two minutes. Something small, but it was the difference in the end.

Details matter - The Memphis coach and his guys failed to foul Kansas with 10 seconds that would have prevented Mario Chalmers from hitting three points; a foul would have iced it for Memphis. What's more after the shot they called no time out to set something up. Yep, details matter...Little things matter.

It’s not over until it’s over – Memphis was up 9 points with two minutes left – Yet, lost! Friggin crazy…Their coach Calipari said, “We had the game in our grasp and then lost it.” No, you never have victory until you have won – Never assume you’ve won until you actually win.

Luck matters – There is a verse in the bible that says, “The race is not to the swift, the battle is not to the mighty, and the gold is not to the shrewd – For time and chance overtake them all.” Luck matters.

Skill matters, luck ain't enough – The better you are the luckier you are. Sure KU got lucky, but they still had to get the ball, shoot and score - no gifts.

Games are pictures of life – And, life is really a big game. Metaphors are pervasive. As I said to you as kids "Patterns are everywhere." Study others victories and defeats and you'll enhance your own prospects to win.

Life is crazy - The game was crazy...Life is crazy. When you’re surprised that something terrible happens or something wonderful happens – Our surprise shows that we haven’t truly understood the threads that weave through the fabric of life. Life is a wild ride - Craziness is baked into its design.

Love you kid, Take Care.

Ol' Crooked Finger...Dad.

Posted By Three Soldier Dad...Chuck

Gypsy
04-08-2008, 16:52
Very cool...I hope your son is doing well.

Ol' Crooked Finger...Dad.

I'm not even gonna ask... :D

QRQ 30
04-09-2008, 08:59
Rather than start a new thread I thought i would ride along on this.

After losing to Sanford in December the Lady Vols of TN destroyed Stanford last night to win their 8th NCAA championship.

A good lesson is to learn from setbacks and compensate.

Never underestimate the heart of a champion. Everyone had ceded the championship to Stanford except the Lady Vols.:lifter

MoFo
04-09-2008, 10:27
Good post, Chuck. Well said. That stupid foul that Dorsey made, that got him fouled in, also was a factor. He might have stopped that easy bucket that Rush got in the end, underneath. Memphis made a lot of mistakes, enough to go around, to keep many of those boys up nights for years to come.

Preparation is key, both mental and physical. SF does boocoo of both, in the QC and afterward, on teams. The training never ends. I recall my first Tm Sgt, Wes Fowler, told me, soon after I arrived on the team, "Great. Glad to have you. But, now your training really begins."