PDA

View Full Version : Modified Rucksacks

Publius
03-27-2008, 12:29
Just as a heads up, starting April 6, Phase 2 trainees are no longer allowed to bring modified rucksacks out to Camp Mackall.

BrianH
03-27-2008, 13:10
I recall only being able to bring modified rucksacks to Robin Sage. We 18E's needed 'em too...

Snaquebite
03-27-2008, 13:23
The only rucks we had were what they issued. :lifter

SF_BHT
03-27-2008, 13:39
The only rucks we had were what they issued. :lifter

X2

We sure did over pack them also. Door Bundles were dropped since as students we had to have slick rucks. When we recovered the bundle we then had to add all the other things. Looked like Gypsy's going to the G-camp.

Ret10Echo
03-27-2008, 13:48
I recall only being able to bring modified rucksacks to Robin Sage. We 18E's needed 'em too...

125 pounds of lightweight, high-speed gear...

I loved the "75 pound limit" that was placed on the infil jump...we had to unload stuff, weigh in, and then shove it all back into our ruck...:D

another bat boy
05-13-2008, 04:21
Just as a heads up, starting April 6, Phase 2 trainees are no longer allowed to bring modified rucksacks out to Camp Mackall.

This info is wrong. Rucks may be modified (extra pouches added) but the issued ruck must be brought as well. In addition, non-issued boots may be worn if they meet the approved boot list put out by the CSM.

7624U
05-13-2008, 12:40
This info is wrong. Rucks may be modified (extra pouches added) but the issued ruck must be brought as well. In addition, non-issued boots may be worn if they meet the approved boot list put out by the CSM.

Phase II did a study for the last few classes on Modified vs Slick rucks,
we found the modified rucks where 4-8 lbs more weight then a issued ruck sack
we also dumped rucks and found the guys that had modified also had the tendency to pack more optional items IE 10 lbs shaving kits.

You will bring both, your cadre team sgt will give you guidence on what you will use for jumps, all rucks will be army issue IAW with the packing list the aircraft have weight restrictions.

FYI all you need for a shaving kit is a broken in half tooth brush and some tooth paste. follow the packing list its going to get hot real soon and you dont want to be carrying anymore then you need.

Adding a item people need also so I dont have to start a new post bring a "" Headlamp"" with you men any type will do.....

bluenote
05-13-2008, 15:33
Question: Is the issued ruck still the LC-1, Large combat pack with LC-2 aluminum frame? Or have they changed it? I noticed Bragg's MCS doesn't carry the metal frame anymore. They sell the plastic frames now. BN

another bat boy
05-13-2008, 16:56
Phase II did a study for the last few classes on Modified vs Slick rucks,
we found the modified rucks where 4-8 lbs more weight then a issued ruck sack
we also dumped rucks and found the guys that had modified also had the tendency to pack more optional items IE 10 lbs shaving kits.

You will bring both, your cadre team sgt will give you guidence on what you will use for jumps, all rucks will be army issue IAW with the packing list the aircraft have weight restrictions.

FYI all you need for a shaving kit is a broken in half tooth brush and some tooth paste. follow the packing list its going to get hot real soon and you dont want to be carrying anymore then you need.

Adding a item people need also so I dont have to start a new post bring a "" Headlamp"" with you men any type will do.....

Roger. That is good advice that will be heeded word for word.

leif
05-17-2008, 08:41
Question: Is the issued ruck still the LC-1, Large combat pack with LC-2 aluminum frame? Or have they changed it? I noticed Bragg's MCS doesn't carry the metal frame anymore. They sell the plastic frames now. BN

If you are getting TA-50 from SWCS CIF expect a metal frame.

7624U
05-23-2008, 15:20
Just a follow up on this thread, you need to have a issued ruck with metal frame when you show up here to phase II people. or you will just get put back on the trucks to fort bragg. you are allowed to bring a extra Mod'ed rucksack also, but you better have that issued ruck.

another bat boy
05-24-2008, 15:53
Just a follow up on this thread, you need to have a issued ruck with metal frame when you show up here to phase II people. or you will just get put back on the trucks to fort bragg. you are allowed to bring a extra Mod'ed rucksack also, but you better have that issued ruck.

Yep, lost two guys from my tm because they didn't bring their issued ruck. I guess they thought following instructions was over rated.

7624U
06-23-2008, 19:10
New Update for further classes after 05-08A, SUT Students are no longer allowed to bring modified rucksacks out to Camp Mackall.... this is now set in stone by the command....

akunochi
08-07-2008, 15:57
Wow that sucks. The modified rucks really helped out there more so for organization and quick access than anything else. I'm assuming that Sage is still good to go for the modified rucks?

cowboykpy
10-10-2008, 08:17

Not entirely true. I just finished SUT, and while the packing list does say they are prohibited, it depends on the field team. Our TACs told us to bring them and that it would be up to our cadre. Some cadre in my field team allowed them and some did not. The other field teams seemed to operate the same way, some guys had mod rucks some didn't. Definitely bring the issued ruck or as stated above you won't get on the trucks to CMK.