PDA

View Full Version : Help with Damascus

TheShootist
03-26-2008, 23:16
I'll start off by saying that metallurgy and knives have never been my strong point...but to make a long story short, I shot a nice bull elk this year in one of those spots where you regret shooting a nice bull elk. In the process I left behind a nice new Damascus knife with a walrus tusk handle that my dad made for me...well now that spring has come around and the snow wasn't too deep I packed up the hill with a metal detector (good ruckin' too!) and luckily enough found the said knife. Unfortunately between the blood left on the blade and the moisture from the snow there is some pretty bad corrosion including some deep pitting. What's the best way to clean the knife up? I've also heard that damascus can become very brittle when exposed to serious corrosion...is there any hope?

Bill Harsey
03-28-2008, 12:13
Sir,
First, congrats on finding the knife. If this isn't too late, let the knife handle dry out very slow. wrap it up in a paper towel and get it away from any heat source, preferably in an unheated garage.

For the blade do not over-worry it, much of the damage can be resolved.
you have what you have and a pretty good story to go with it.
I'd start with steel wool and WD-40 to assess the surface corrosion.
Do not re-sharpen yet. Put it back in the paper towel.

What kind of shape (flat, concave or convex) are the master bevels?

There is more to follow.

TheShootist
03-31-2008, 09:21
The master bevels are actually in pretty good shape it appears. There is some slight pitting on them, but overall they are flat. (at least I assume they should be flat)

I put some time in with steel wool and WD40 and removed most of the surface rust...the pits still show some oxidization. I guess maybe a little more time and effort and they'll be in good shape?