PDA

View Full Version : Planning my ARNG Career

Draco771
03-17-2008, 10:19
Hello, I've been lurking these boards for a while now... And I'm completely solid in my decision for joining the Washington State Army National Guard.

I've been training in an RSP Platoon, this will be my third month attending. One of my Cadre, (and Recruiter) is an 18Bravo who's served in SF for 7 out of his 12 year ARNG Career. He's been of extroardinary help to me. And has proven to be a very valuable resource.

I myself wish to get into the 1/19th SFG. And my question is, what can I do to set up my career to go towards either an 18Delta, or an 18Echo?

I've got a few pounds to drop (which WILL happen) so I can't return to MEPS until August.

But my PULHES 311131

The P will be turned to a 1 immediately after dropping the 30lbs required. and the 3 in E will be turned into a 2 once I get a real optometrists evaluation (because my eyes are correctable to 20/20 20/25 but the MEPS eye machine couldn't read my perscription... So I gotta get a Civ Eval on my eyes that is recent for a med waiver to turn E into 2)

Physical training wise, I know what I have to do. Thanks to the valuable resource your PT forum and the PT forum on another site has been. I've already dropped almost 60lbs, another 30 shouldn't prove too difficult:lifter.

But again, what I'm after is figuring out what would set up my best career route to get into the 1/19th Special Forces Group. As an 18Echo, or an 18Delta?

And what MOSs in the 1/19th are most needed?

I've searched the boards and have found nothing for the ARNG regarding these matters... Active Duty there is tons of info, but not for the Guard. (Unless my search button doesn't work too well...)

Thank you for your time, even if it's just for reading this.

Edit to include: My recruiter, and friend can't help me on this, because he's not allowed to sell MOSs for me to look into...

Surgicalcric
03-17-2008, 12:08
This topic has been covered here before but because I am feeling extra generous today...

MOS's for the NGSF units are chosen similar to those for the AD component in that the needs of the Regiment / specific unit comes first. In addition, there comes a minimum GT score of 110 on the ASVAB to be considered for training as an 18D.

Speaking from my experiences from working in the NG Liaison's office at USAJFKSWCS someone should ask your preference of MOS's when you interview with the unit. This would be the time to express to both your recruiter and whomever you interview with (SGM, Training NCO, etc) in 1/19th of your interest in training as either a 18D or Echo... They may very well tell you they dont need medics or echos and you can choose one of the other two MOS's but thats doubtful. If you have the minimum GT and a desire to be a medic, or an echo, there shouldnt be anything standing in your way...

Congrats on the weight loss, keep up the hard work.

HTH,

Crip

The Reaper
03-17-2008, 12:20
I would ask you to refrain from asking any further questions till you clear your profile.

Physically fit people fail SFAS all of the time, and the issue for you is moot till you meet eligibility requirements.

Focus on the 25 meter target. There are many obstacles between you and SFAS, and your personal MOS preferences are WAY down the list.

If you read the rules, we have specific advice regarding career planning.

TR

Draco771
03-17-2008, 16:44
I would ask you to refrain from asking any further questions till you clear your profile.

Physically fit people fail SFAS all of the time, and the issue for you is moot till you meet eligibility requirements.

Focus on the 25 meter target. There are many obstacles between you and SFAS, and your personal MOS preferences are WAY down the list.

If you read the rules, we have specific advice regarding career planning.

TR

Profile cleared...
(awaiting further instructions)

The Reaper
03-17-2008, 18:21
Profile cleared...
(awaiting further instructions)

Negative, your PULHES profile.

TR

Draco771
03-17-2008, 21:42
Negative, your PULHES profile.