PDA

View Full Version : St. Crispin's Day Speech

the squid
03-17-2008, 06:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RokCbPi3SUg

I thought many of you QP's and other combat vets would enjoy this short video.

A very moving rendition of part Shakespeare's "Band of Brothers" speech, which, imo, is one of the finest pieces of poetry ever written on the bonds formed under fire.

The Reaper
03-17-2008, 09:13
The text has been posted on PS.com at least four times, and I never get tired of it.

One of the finest pieces of prose I have ever read, and truly a tribute to those who serve with their brothers in arms.

TR

x-factor
03-17-2008, 09:39
I think a lot of you may know this already, but I think its funny enough to bear mentioning.

The St Crispin's Day speech is delivered before Shakespeare's version of the Battle of Agincourt, which was between England and France during the 100 Years War. Agincourt is especially remembered for the impact made by English yeoman archers and how their massed, accurate fire helped upset a French army that was superior in armored knights.

During the Hundred Years War, English archers did such damage that when they were captured, the French would cut off their index and middle fingers so they could no longer draw a long bow.

Thats why, to this day, the V-sign with your index and middle finger with the back of your hand to the recipient is a gesture of defiance. In essence, the Brit version of the middle finger.

Razor
03-17-2008, 14:44
Agincourt is especially remembered for the impact made by English yeoman archers and how their massed, accurate fire helped upset a French army that was superior in armored knights.

That, plus narrow terrain that negate both the superior numbers of the French and the ability of their cavalry to turn a flank, and a freshly plowed and muddy field that greatly reduced mobility.

The Reaper
03-17-2008, 14:55
That, plus narrow terrain that negate both the superior numbers of the French and the ability of their cavalry to turn a flank, and a freshly plowed and muddy field that greatly reduced mobility.

Damn those engineers and their obstacles!

TR

Peregrino
03-17-2008, 19:38
Damn those engineers and their obstacles!

TR

Yeah, but kudos for the CG that knew enough to cover his obstacles with fires! :D (Not an original thought anywhere. :p)

x-factor
03-17-2008, 21:48
I remember seeing a really good History Channel show on Agincourt. If you ever run across it you should check it out.