PDA

View Full Version : Editorial....on cases presented

swatsurgeon
03-13-2008, 16:14
My personal goal with posting these cases is to help educate medics, etc. If I am pushing the envelope too far when docs ask questions and we lose the relevance to the medics, please PM me and let me know. These medical forums are for the benefit of everyone but we don't want it over anyone's head. There are 'pearls' or teaching points which may not be obvious to all and I am always glad to clarify so that the medic on the ground can learn something that may translate into a life/limb saved in combat.
We all have a common goal in aiding in the medical care of a patient. Having horizons expanded by those who have 'been there, done that' is the basis of learning for all of us.
I hope more questions from the field will start to appear....mostly retrospective which is okay because it may help for the next patient in the future.

If anyone has a specific injury that they want to discuss, bring it on......the moderators as well as others who offer opinions can enlighten all.

Medical issues come in all varieties and flavors: trench foot, scabies, blast injuries, GSW's. All of these topics are pertainent to 'field medicine/care'. We are here to discuss all of them, hopefully with intelligent answers and discussions.

Again, if what is presented makes no sense to you (the medic/PA/doc), let me know. Sorry, non-medical people are given every courtesy but an understanding of medical terminology, anatomy, pathophysiology is needed and can't be taught here.

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients.

ss

Red Flag 1
03-13-2008, 16:34
SS

I could not agree more. That we are site members and allowed to post is an honor. As much as I can, I try to keep in mind the 18/QP readers and posters. It is easy to slide into academia without intending to. The upside of academia is bringing questions up that can add to the knowlege of 18s, and 18Ds in particular.

The "best" and "worse" cases are teaching cases.

Keep up the great work SS!!

RF 1

Peregrino
03-13-2008, 19:16
SS - As a layman, I too appreciate your efforts. The lesson learned about replacement fluid volumes was worth reading in itself. I'll add it to the data base. The secondary (wholly unintended I'm sure) lesson that I passed to a coworker who is learning to shoot (defensively) is the sub-par lethality of pistol ammunition. I've been emphasizing multiple rounds, assess, and repeat as required to ensure threat "reduction". I had already referenced Doc T's comment about chances of survival if they make it to the OR, now you provide photographic evidence. Serendipity. I hope your patient maximizes the second chance he's been given by your skill and the good lord's grace.

sofmed
03-13-2008, 21:04
Thanks again, SS, for these great posts. I've been reading back a ways and have printed some of the threads main topics in order to learn more.

Cheers!

Mick

Books
03-18-2008, 21:49
SS-

Sir, I speak for myself, and I trust the rest of the medics, when I say, "Fire away." When I know more about the "why," my execution of the "how" is better. While there is a place in this world for algorithmic treatments, learning to think expansively about disease and trauma makes me more capable when dealing with the minor stuff. I think it is like learning a foreign language: when you hang out with fluent speakers, your own skills develop that much rapidly.

I will always run with faster people, shoot with better marksmen, lift with stronger men. I'd be bummed if you held back on medical topic. If you MD/DOs lose me, I'll let you know.

Books

Semper gumby
04-16-2008, 09:44
SS,

This may be a formality, but as LPO to a bunch of young corpsmen, do we have permission to grab all info you pass here for teaching purposes? Most of the people that I would be teaching have probably never been deployed, but have the chance of getting selected for deployment. I don't want them to be set up for failure. I am very impressed with the amount/quality of tactical medicine that have been on your posts and would like to pass as much of it on as I can.

Thanks, :D

Semper Gumby

adal
04-16-2008, 14:13
Eyes, Ears and mind wide open Doc.
Thanks

swatsurgeon
04-16-2008, 17:54
SS,

This may be a formality, but as LPO to a bunch of young corpsmen, do we have permission to grab all info you pass here for teaching purposes? Most of the people that I would be teaching have probably never been deployed, but have the chance of getting selected for deployment. I don't want them to be set up for failure. I am very impressed with the amount/quality of tactical medicine that have been on your posts and would like to pass as much of it on as I can.

Thanks, :D

Semper Gumby

Please do...it is practical, applicable and based on solid practices....it is also a nice compliment to be able to have people learn from one's experiences.

docjdub
04-28-2008, 19:43
Looking forward to reading your on line grand rounds!:D

HM1