PDA

View Full Version : M16/M4 Spare Parts List

Aoresteen
03-07-2008, 18:52
I need to come up with a spare parts kit for my M16/M4 weapon so I thought I’d ask the experts here as I am not a weapons guy . I have a kit for my M9 based on your recommendations so I thought I’d look into getting one for my M16/M4.

Let’s say you are the senior weapons NCO on your ODA and you’d just been notified that the team will be deploying for 6 months to a very remote site. It will be a kinetic environment. There will be no maintenance support for your M4s beyond what you can do yourselves. The XO asks you for a recommend spare parts list for each team member (as a former 18B he’s well connected and can get whatever you ask for!). Load plan weight limit is up to 12 oz per M4 kit per man. The weapons guys are allowed to carry up to 24oz of M4 tools/parts. If a weapon is completely destroyed a new once can be dropped in with the next scheduled/emergency bundle drop or convoy from the SFOB.

What would you have each team member carry for spare parts/tools, if any? What would you have the weapons guys carry in terms of spare parts/tools, if any? This is above and beyond normal weapons cleaning gear.

Thanks!

Psywar1-0
03-07-2008, 20:24
Im just a gun plumber who shoots alot, so take this for what its worth:

I think your weight limitations are too low, also you just said M4's, you didnt say M4CQBR's or suppressors, or if your using real US or Nato M855 or if its all Mk262. Each of those items change what you can expect to see as far as maintenance issues. How much Team training is going to be conducted on the deployment?

Without that clarification think about the following:

Brand new upper, bolt and bolt carrier plus all lower internals and springs replaced prior to deploying:

Each guy should have a spare bolt assembly, a spare extractor with 5 coil spring and O ring installed,, Bolt Cam, Firing Pin retaining pin, and a spare set of gas rings. I would also consider a spare action spring.

The 18B's need a Brownells pocket 556 throat errosion gauge, No-Go headspace guage and a Castle nut wrench. Everyone should have the needed allen wrenches to tighten up their own gear as part of PMCS and a hammer and a broken punch work for staking and should be part of someone elses kit.

If you want to go into service life of bolts, gas port and throat errosion based on round count in different AR platforms and such let me know.

The Reaper
03-07-2008, 20:30
The Search button is your friend.

TR

Aoresteen
03-11-2008, 14:18
Sorry for the delay geting back here but I've been out & about the last few days.

TR: I did do a search for 'm4 spare parts deployment' but did not find a specific recommended list. I did find some stuff on armorer’s kits but those were targeted for a home shop. I'll look again. Thanks!

Psywar1-0: I appreciate your input. Thanks!

18C4V
03-11-2008, 17:29
Not a bravo, but on this trip I had to code out two EoTechs , four PEQ-2's and we still have a few months left on this trip.

We do have a bravo box with extra stuff and one of our bravos has been to the SOF Armourer course.

Psywar1-0
03-11-2008, 19:52
We do have a bravo box with extra stuff and one of our bravos has been to the SOF Armourer course.

Crane or Bluegrass? Im probably going to Bluegrass later this year, but getting slots at Crane is next to impossible unless your in NSW.

18C4V
03-11-2008, 21:26
Crane or Bluegrass? Im probably going to Bluegrass later this year, but getting slots at Crane is next to impossible unless your in NSW.

Our Bravo went to Crane. I guess they are calling it the Joint Armorers Training Course now. I know as of two years ago we were sending guys to Crane.

45K40
03-21-2008, 01:11
If I was supporting a team's weapons, this would be what I would bring from the Small Arms Shop based on a qty of 1 per 4 wpns deployed (exceptions noted in parentheses), * = based on loss potential:

Firing pin
Firing pin retaining pin (4) *
Bolt rings (12)
Complete bolt carrier w/bolt
Extractor spring (8)
Hammer spring (2)
Trigger pin (2) *
Hammer (2)
Trigger (2)
Disconnector (2)
Selector detent spring (2)
Rear take-down sping w/detent (2)