PDA

View Full Version : Vaccine-autism link?

shr7
03-06-2008, 02:39
After reading through some of the old posts in Vital Signs I am very saddened to see that I have missed out on very good discussions. A lot of discussions about medications and interactions, the pharmacist's real bread and butter. In PA, pharmacists can now be licensed to administer certain vaccines to an adult population. Having taken the course a few months back, I was surprised to learn that this is still an issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/03/05/autism.vaccines.ap/index.html

Vaccine-autism link? Not proven in the past, certainly not now, and probably never in the future. Well, maybe that was too safe an answer, but I like to keep my options open just in case.

I hate the sensationalism in the media today. To me, they are a bunch of self-serving, self-aggrandizing pukes who exploit the public for their own personal gains. The kinds of people who write these articles and either directly misinform, or indirectly imply misinformation should be classified as public health risks and quarantined until further notice.

Maybe now that that is out of my system, I can get some sleep.

Doczilla
03-06-2008, 09:39
This article just frankly pisses me off. ONE study, not designed to examine the issue, suggested the link. New-wave parents, buying into the hysteria, started refusing vaccinations for their children for truly frightening diseases. Meanwhile, multiple well-designed huge multi-center studies disproved any link between vaccines and autism. 10 of the 12 authors of the initial study recanted their assertion, conceding that the study wasn't designed to look at the issue. Yet we still have these parents that want to refuse vaccines for their children based on voodoo they read on the internet. And apparently CNN is all too happy to feed them.

All I can say is thank God for the parents that don't buy into that hype, creating a "herd immunity" for those kids that are unprotected.

'zilla