PDA

View Full Version : New Avatar

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 14:15
I have now received two private messages about my new avatar. Everyone should be careful what they say; this individual was held in high regard.

Who knows who it is and her connection to SF? QRQ, BMT and Ambush Master may not answer unless no one else knows (yes, that's a hint).

Feel free to discuss your own avatar and what it means too, if you want. :)

Air.177
05-11-2004, 14:21
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Who knows who it is and her connection to SF? QRQ, BMT and Ambush Master may not answer unless no one else knows (yes, that's a hint).

You mean I can play?

You know I know, so I'll hold off for awhile.:cool:

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 14:26
Originally posted by Air.177
You mean I can play?

You know I know, so I'll hold off for awhile.:cool:

You must be really ancient too. LOL (Sprinting for cover now)

Air.177
05-11-2004, 14:34
Remember what I said about digging holes?

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 14:37
Remember what I said about digging holes?

No, but I will follow NDD's advice and stop digging right now. :D

Of course, experience shows that you can stop when it is already too late. I will pray for mercy.

DunbarFC
It's Martha Raye

Kyobanim
Maggie (Martha Rae) I believe, but she is an honorary Green Beret.

Maggie was an honorary member of the Special Forces. She received her cherished Green Beret and title of Lieutenant Colonel from President Lyndon Johnson.

She was reported to have made several jumps from planes and helicopters. She received an Airborne Beret. BUT the Green Beret was what she wore the most.

Do I win the prize?

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 14:40
Two incomplete but partially correct answers posted simultaneously. Anyone want to elaborate? She is discussed in Plaster's new book, which I am 1/3 into.

Kyobanim
05-11-2004, 14:41
Edited previous

Here's more http://www.vietnamexp.com/morestories/MarthaRaye.htm

Air.177
05-11-2004, 14:41
No, but I will follow NDD's advice and stop digging right now.

Of course, experience shows that you can stop when it is already too late. I will pray for mercy.
Not that part, That's what you said. To which I responded "Quit digging, Hell no it's a defensive position"

Mercy from whom, I have no Powers here:D

What was that you said about a radio as your weapon earlier?

DunbarFC
05-11-2004, 14:45
Two incomplete but partially correct answers posted simultaneously. Anyone want to elaborate? She is discussed in Plaster's new book, which I am 1/3 into.

Well since I'm reading Plaster's book I felt it only fair to answer partially

This is the first " who or where is this " thread I've even had a chance on

As for my avatar, it's the poster for the movie "Office Space", which strangely mirrors my own work life

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 14:49
Good follow-on question from Air.177 (don't know if it's answered in the linked page above):

When, where and how did Colonel Maggie earn her beret?

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 14:50
Not that part, That's what you said. To which I responded "Quit digging, Hell no it's a defensive position"

Mercy from whom, I have no Powers here:D

What was that you said about a radio as your weapon earlier?

I'm not worried about you. Have you seen Kill Bill, Volume 2? Respect your elders!

Kyobanim
05-11-2004, 14:51
Good follow-on question from Air.177 (don't know if it's answered in the linked page above):

When, where and how did Colonel Maggie earn her beret?

Not positive but wasn't it when she was at an FOB to entertain, they came under massive attack, the medic was wounded so she took over the medics duty as she was a RN. Spent 13 hours in surgery and treating wounded and didn't leave until they were all evaced.

That probly isn't it but it's a good story.

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 14:54
Originally posted by Kyobanim
Edited previous

Here's more http://www.vietnamexp.com/morestories/MarthaRaye.htm

That's where I found the avatar photo.

Plaster says she was at Kontum, although it sounds like she went to lots of places. Probably went to CCN and CCS too, I would think. Maybe other places like Ben Het?

AM, did you ever meet her? QRQ? BMT? Other FOGs? What a great American she was!

Ambush Master
05-11-2004, 15:13
Yes, that's Col Maggie. I ran into her in Nha Trang. She came over to the Enlisted Transient Barracks and continued to Drink with us after the NCO Club had closed. I'll have to post some pics that I have of her setting on the bunk in her Tiger Stripes lighting a smoke. She was a very cool lady. She came to the SOAR every year until she couldn't get around.

Air.177
05-11-2004, 15:19
I'm not worried about you. Have you seen Kill Bill, Volume 2? Respect your elders!
Yes I have, good Movie. (Flips Beard)

Air.177
05-11-2004, 15:21
Originally posted by Kyobanim
Not positive but wasn't it when she was at an FOB to entertain, they came under massive attack, the medic was wounded so she took over the medics duty as she was a RN. Spent 13 hours in surgery and treating wounded and didn't leave until they were all evaced.

That probly isn't it but it's a good story.

To the Best Of my knowledge, that was it. Maybe AM, BMT, or QRQ can clarify.

DunbarFC
05-11-2004, 15:22
Yes I have, good Movie. (Flips Beard)

If you liked Kill Bill, check out "Man on fire"

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.............

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-11-2004, 15:51
That's where I found the avatar photo.

Maybe other places like Ben Het?

AM, did you ever meet her? QRQ? BMT? Other FOGs? What a great American she was!

Yes she came and visited us at Ben Het during my last day in command there. The chopper she came in on was my ride out that day. She was a great person and really cared about what we all were doing.

Jack Moroney

QRQ 30
05-11-2004, 16:36
Sometimes I think I am the only person to serve in SF in RVN who hasn't personally met Ltc. Maggie as well as the only soldier in RVN who never saw Bob Hope. Oh well, maybe there is too much "Quiet" in the QP.:boohoo

Ambush Master
05-11-2004, 20:05
Here she is.

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 21:01
another:

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 21:03
and another:

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 21:07
another:

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 21:09
yet another:

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 21:12
and in her day, she was smokin' in more ways than one. :)

SOGvet
05-11-2004, 21:51
I met Maggie when she came to Ban Me Thout (the SOG CCS, then USARV TF3AE compound) in the late spring or early summer of 1971. I was fortunate enough to be one of the nugs who got to meet her at the airfield when she flew in - the compound was adjacent to the old airfield, then no longer used for anything but resupply flights that came in via Carabou, or the occasional 123 or 130 Blackbird flights that came in for operational reasons.

We exchanged pleasantries (I didn't say much...), then headed for the NCO Club. All the old timers (the E7s, E8s and the one SGM we had, along with the officers - one of whom recently retired as the USSOCOM DCINC - I was still a buck sgt), many of whom had seen her on previous visits, were waiting for her there. She was greeted with great fanfair - she'd long before won the hearts and minds of SF guys, and she exchanged salutes and hugs with some of the old guys. I sat off to one side while she got caught up with the older guys, listening to them tell war stories and an occasional lie (say it isn't so!).

One of the senior NCOs ambushed me by saying that when it was my time to go over and talk to her one-on-one, that I oughta ask her about how she liked working with Jane Fonda, since they'd just made a movie together. I didn't question the advice, even though I was at Bragg in the spring of 1970 when Hanoi Jane came to Fayetteville (along with non other than John Kerry - no shit!) to lead an anti-war demonstration up "the boulevard" with the eventual goal to paint Iron Mike (then posted at the entrance to Bragg at the intersection of Bragg Blvd and Knox Street) and Bronze Bruce (then posted where he still should be posted - at the SF memorial plaza) red - to represent communism (my blood pressure is rising as I type this).

In the meantime the liquor flowed like the Mekong River. Maggie drank vodka out of a 12 oz glass straight - maybe over the rocks, but definitely without a mixer. By the time it was my turn to go up and speak with her, I was more than ready, and a bit anxious - since she'd be the first real Hollywood celebrity that I'd personally speak with, and because she was legendary in the SF family.

So there I was... meandering over to where she sat... I introduced myself, told her a little bit about who I was, where I was from and how much I liked being in SF and in SOG. Then I made the nearly fatal mistake of popping her the question, "So, Maggie, one of the guys said you just finished making a movie with Jane Fonda, and I was wondering how you liked working with her..."

She looked at me - no, through me - with a stare that I'm not sure I've ever seen since (maybe from one of my ex-wives, but they don't count). As she leaned over toward where I was sitting, the room came to a hush... then the profanities began to flow from her lips... "That communist sypmathizing mother fucking bitch!.. She isn't worth a good god-damn!.. she should be shot in the fucking face, and I'm just the woman to do it!..." and so on... it went on for a while - I was too shocked to remember exactly what else she said.

I thought I'd crawl under the bar stool.. I never felt so embarrassed in my then 20 years. The guys in the room finally couldn't hold their laughter any longer, and the shit hit the fan. They started hooting, and hollering, and calling me the fucking new guy (I'd been there for months by the time she came to visit - I guess I was getting baptized by fire).

She came over and gave me a hug, and a big kiss on the cheek - I'll never forget that as long as I live. I'd been set up - I'd been the brunt of the joke (which was on me), but to this day I believe that what came from Maggie's mouth about Hanoi Jane came from her heart - she hated the bitch almost as much as most of us who're VN vets still hate her today.

The story ain't over yet...

We had a gun truck at CCS; a deuce-and-a-half that had been converted to a gun truck for security of the convoys that had to run over the mountain to Nha Trang every other week to get chow. It had 2, then 4 M-60 machine guns on the corners of the bed, belt fed, and they were set up to give 360 degree coverage. At one point we aquired two mini-guns from the 20th SOS guys (Novermber model Hueys - good mf'rs that they are) and the Philipino tech reps that we had did their damnest to hook 'em up to replace the M-60s - since the guys who were tapped to accompany the convoy normally like to do a bit of recon-by-fire on QL21 on the way to and back from Nha Trang. The truck was painted black, it had PSP plating on the sides with sandbags between the plating and the sides of the bed to give some protection against small arms fire. On the side of the plating was painted "MAGGIE, MEANEST MOTHER IN THE VALLEY" in big white letters.

I sat there in the NCO club recovering from my life's most embarrasing moment, when it dawned on me that we had the gun truck parked in the motorpool, and I just happened to know where the key was to the lock/chain that went around the steering wheel. So off I went - stumbling (no shit) to the motor pool to steal the gun truck so I could drive it over to the NCO club - which is exactly what I did. I pulled the sumbich right up on the sidewalk at a 90 degree angle, about 5 feet from the front entrance so that whoever walked out of that door couldn't help but see the words painted on the side.

Then I proudly walked in and loudly announced that there was something outside that Maggie just might want to see... which she did. She walked out and saw the truck, with guns in place, loaded and ready for battle. I had my camera with me - we all had cameras for her visit - and I asked her if she'd pose next to the truck. I took the shot, which came out so good that I kept it on my desk for as long as I was on active duty. Sometime in the mid 70's, a buddy of mine who was also at BMT (Tom Cook) was going to SoCal and while he was there he was going to pop over and pay Maggie a visit, so I gave him the picture and asked that he get Maggie to autograph it for me - which he did and she did.

When I retired and took a civil service job in the SF community, I gave the photo to the command's illustrator so she could make an enlargement. Little did I know then that she'd also give a copy of the picture to the author of the book titled "Maggie, Meanest Mother In the Valley" - or something close to that. It wasn't but a few years ago that I saw the book in the SF museum bookstore, and while thumbing through it I just about shit when I turned the page to see my picture, the one that I took of Maggie standing in front of her gun truck outside the door of the NCO club at BMT in 1971 - with some shithead's name next to it getting credit for the photo - it still pisses me off today.

I eventually - not too many years ago - passed the photo to the guys out at the Nat'l SF Association for archiving. I attached a note to it, telling whoever had it that I was the nug who took the shot, and I'm the sumbich who dontated it to the SFA - no one else. I haven't seen the picture, or heard anything about it since - I hope someone has it in safe keeping. Sometimes I wish I'd kept it - but I do have the enlargement around her in a box somewhere - (I'm going to dig it out now that I'm getting emotional about Maggie once again).

I attended Maggie's funeral at the Fort Bragg cemetery shortly after her death. It took some real politicking to get approval for a civilian to be buried on Fort Bragg - but the politicians knew, or were told, how important she was to those of us who wore the Green Beret during the VN war, and they knew that she was literally a mother to those of us deployed to fight the war in SE Asia. Smart move..

I've been told, but I can't confirm, that the fag actor that took advantage of her in her final years, marrying her so he could get his hands on her millions, shitcanned all the SF memorabilia that she had in her 'safe house' in Los Angeles, which was open to any SF guy who happened to be passing through town. Someone oughta cut his nuts off if it's true....

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I have a couple of great pics around here somewhere of her visit to BMT that day 33+ years ago, and I might have to dig 'em out, scan 'em and see if I can post one or two here for your viewing pleasure. In the meantime, if you get a chance to check out the book on Maggie's life, check out my photo of her - I think it's on the lead-in page of chapter 5 - you can't miss it - she's got that famous mouth open, her arms are spread wide, and she's smiling like she meant it - which she did...

Those are some great memories...

De Oppresso Liber
cc

The Reaper
05-11-2004, 22:05
Great story amigo, thanks for sharing!

TR

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 22:05
http://www.talesandwhalespublishing.com/excerptsMOM.htm

Gypsy
05-11-2004, 22:16
SOGvet, thank you for sharing your memories, that was a great story!

12B4S
01-27-2005, 01:31
I have a request, for any of you guys at Bragg. If any of you are in the area and have a few minutes, wondering if you could pop into the Museum. I was fortunate to have met Maggie while I was in Tolz. Two nights worth in the NCO club. The second night after she kept the club open way beyond it's hours and BS'in with her for hours. She asked me to drive her to her quarters. Ummmm damn, what a honor. she gave me hug and peck on the cheek. Prior to that, I was telling her about my GF in the states. She offered to write something to her and she did on a page of Stars and Stripes. God, where are people like Maggie? I debated about posting this in this olderish thread or posting my request in a new one. I figure alot of young folks need to know how exceptional this woman was, and others here have described that and posted sites to learn more. Maggie should never fade away concerning SF... NEVER!

Back to my request, when I met her, we made a banner for her in the NCO club and we all signed it. She said she'd put it up in her "Team Room" in her home in Bel Aire.
Due to Plasters book, I understand a complete replica of that room from her home has been replicated in the museum at Bragg.

I'm just curious if that banner we made and signed in 1970 in Tolz, is on display there. Not exactly sure how I signed it, but probably Sgt Brad Morrison.
No rush, it's been 35 years :)

While I'm at it, I would suggest to anyone out here that doesn't know her or remember her, read this thread and follow the links. That!!! Will only give you a little idea of who she was, if you were fortunate to have met her in person.

One more thing, She invited us and every SF guy to visit her home as did John Wayne.

BearFlag
01-27-2005, 05:11
Awesome story SOGvet, made me smile [thumbsup]

clapdoc
12-10-2007, 20:22
Maggie was awarded her beret by 5th gp in Nha Trang. If I remember the story right. she got trapped with an A team in III Corp and helped the medic and possibly returned fire. My memory is going fast but I do know that she was much beloved by all SF hands in VN. She wore a 45 acp hung on web gear with tropical fatigues and jungle boots complete with green beret.She brought a lot of laughs to a lot people in some boocoo bad places.

Didn't she get buried at Ft. Bragg, seems like I remember that from an issue of The Drop. Also, wasn't she one of two ladies that were made honorary SF members?

I know some of the FOG on this site can help me with the stats.

clapdoc sends.

glebo
12-11-2007, 12:46
I believe she's buried at the Sand Hills Veterans Cemetary at Ft Bragg. One of the local bike clubs (SFMC) held a poker run in her honor and placed a wreath at her grave. All the proceeds went to the Worrier foundation I believe. Was a nice day, a good turn-out. My father in law (James Farley) knew her quite qell. He always talked highly of her, one of the girls you could pull up a chair and slam a few with! They don't make folks like that anymore.

Snaquebite
12-11-2007, 13:13
Frenchy Amundsen was the other female notable. She, however was named Honorary LTC in the SFA.

http://www.sflistteamhouse.com/scrapbook/Frenchy/frenchy1.htm#Frenchy

incommin
12-11-2007, 17:52
Another photo of Maggie.... One great lady who "loved SF".

I am the young buck on her left...... Taken Christmas or New Years 1968 at CCS.