PDA

View Full Version : For Mr. Harsey

Sdiver
03-02-2008, 11:31
Sir William,

Don't know if you've seen this yet, or if your "rabbit ears" on your TV can pick this up.

But I thought I'd pass it along to you.

"The AX Men" on The History Channel next Sunday night.

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=Minisite_Generic&content_type_id=57901&display_order=3&mini_id=57876

Might give you time to sting up an antenna so you can pick it up. :D

Bill Harsey
03-03-2008, 11:29
Thank you very much for posting this.

Yes we get that channel and I will be watching. More to follow...

Edited to add the "more to follow part"...

Here is a nice example of driving two falling wedges on ground that looks like home to me, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOomJScWblw&feature=related

While your at YouTube, check out the "runaway tree" vid in the right column. This is why you never want to be below your cutters.

Sdiver
03-09-2008, 10:44
Bumping this up top.

The series starts tonight, 10pm Eastern/ 9pm Central

:munchin

HOLLiS
03-09-2008, 11:50
Amazing, He has a TV, hopefully soon running water and flush toilets will follow. :p

A sign on I-5 near there says, "You are entering the Eugene Zone"

we control the vertical, we control the horizontal.

What self respecting Oregonian does not have a few chain saws and falling wedges.

JMI
03-09-2008, 11:56
Every time I saw the advertisement I thought of Mr. Harsey. I would think "somebody has already started a thread so I don't need to" and I was right. :D

Can't wait to watch this.

The Reaper
03-09-2008, 12:20
Don't believe the show's hype.

Bill Harsey and his blue ox, Babe cleared all of the original timber from this continent years ago.

TR

LibraryLady
03-09-2008, 18:23
... What self respecting Oregonian does not have a few chain saws and falling wedges.

And a knive or three. :cool:

LL

Bill Harsey
03-10-2008, 08:11
Saw the show last night. Lot's of second growth timber and some alder over on the North Oregon Coast mountain range. Also some very steep ground.

Only one big machine outfit there, the guy who has the hook for a hand. That seems like a good outfit. Nice job rigging up with the Bell Long Ranger helo, I was surprised they didn't have an electric hook underneath to drop the load when it got hung up. Typical logger. I'll have to check with Dad to see if he knows those guys.

What I hate about the first show are the over-edited sequences to show bad things happening and excitement. You don't need fancy editing to have life critical excitement on a logging operation.

JMI
03-10-2008, 09:02
The Browning outfit, the one that used the Helo to drag the cable, was the best. First thing I thought of was "if it gets hung up, can't they just drop the cable?"

The PIHL company I think was the outfit that got the machine stuck where the guy walked off calling everyone a moron. They were not having a good start.

Question:
Why do they only have a limited amount of time to harvest? 3 weeks?

Oh and by the way, that profession is not for the weak or stupid. That is a dangerous profession.

Bill Harsey
03-17-2008, 09:57
JMI,
Logging contracts are performance based for a bunch of reasons and after watching the second show, it seems to be about getting the logs out before a snow shutdown so the wood doesn't over-winter on the ground and rot.
The mill who bought the timber sale wants the wood and the logger agrees to do the work for so many dollars per thousand board feet of timber delivered to the mill.
This can vary depending on the timber, type of terrain, equipment designated to be used, distance from mill and how much road building of what type (dirt or rocked) has to be done.
These contracts often have money type penalties attached that make even loggers nervous.

Guy
03-17-2008, 10:17
The Browning outfit, the one that used the Helo to drag the cable, was the best. First thing I thought of was "if it gets hung up, can't they just drop the cable?"

The PIHL company I think was the outfit that got the machine stuck where the guy walked off calling everyone a moron. They were not having a good start.Any time a show is aired like this; there's alot of editing envolved for marketing ($$$$$$$) purposes.

Stay safe.

Bill Harsey
03-17-2008, 17:40
Any time a show is aired like this; there's alot of editing envolved for marketing ($$$$$$$) purposes.

Stay safe.

Oooooh yeah, Guy, you nailed it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Big-Foot walks onto a logging unit too.

JMI
05-26-2008, 05:58
Mr Harsey,

Quick question. I travel to Oregon every month and I finally had a chance to travel to Ashland/Medford. I drove because I wanted to see more of this beautiful state.

Odd question: I saw mountains obviously logged and was wondering - is that private property?

My customer thinks it is, but I thought that was public land.

So, when you were logging was that public or private land? Is there some private - some public?

Thanks.

Bill Harsey
05-27-2008, 07:47
JMI,
Timber operations in Oregon take place on private, state and federal owned land. It would take a good map from the Forest Service to sort out who owns what in the mountains. In many places it's a checkerboard pattern mix of federal, state and private lands.

The federal government owns 50.3% of the land in Oregon but pays no taxes on it. This used to be offset by some money from timber harvest for local counties and schools. About all logging on federal land has stopped do to lawsuits by environmental lawyers representing their special interest NGO's.

You probably saw evidence of timber harvest on private land. Oregon State Forestry law governing timber harvest and re-forestation applies to private land too.