PDA

View Full Version : Leatherman Wave

mcd72085
05-11-2004, 13:06
This is mainly directed to TR. I was browsing the EDC thread, and saw that you and several others listed carrying the Leatherman Wave, so I checked it out on the site. It seems like a reliable sturdy tool, and I've got a good amount of cash to spend right now(bonus money), so I think i'm gonna pick one up. The SFAS packing list states "Pocket Knife/Tool 1 per candidate - blade length cannot exceed 3" "; is the blade length on this under 3"(the specs just list length of the tool), and would this be allowed as a multi tool to bring to SFAS?
Thanks
Michael

Sacamuelas
05-11-2004, 13:14
The blades are just under 3" at 2 and 15/16 inches long. http://www.equipped.com/wave.htm

I, of course, can not answer the second part of your question.

mcd72085
05-11-2004, 13:16
Thanks for the quick response on the first question.

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 13:22
I'm going to have to get one of those . . .

Razor
05-11-2004, 13:57
May I be so bold as to recommend that you wait until later this fall to buy one? The reason is that Leatherman is supposed to release their upgraded Wave (better steel, wider blade profile, different plier joint profile) and the Ti Charge (bit holders, lighter, belt clip & lanyard ring).

TR was kind enough to post a pre-release picture of the new Wave here: http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=641&perpage=15&highlight=leatherman%20charge&pagenumber=3

Roguish Lawyer
05-11-2004, 14:00
Originally posted by Razor
May I be so bold as to recommend that you wait until later this fall to buy one? The reason is that Leatherman is supposed to release their upgraded Wave (better steel, wider blade profile, different plier joint profile) and the Ti Charge (bit holders, lighter, belt clip & lanyard ring).

Bold? Thank you! OK, I'll wait unless advised otherwise by my Samoan attorney.

The Reaper
05-11-2004, 14:33
Originally posted by mcd72085
This is mainly directed to TR. I was browsing the EDC thread, and saw that you and several others listed carrying the Leatherman Wave, so I checked it out on the site. It seems like a reliable sturdy tool, and I've got a good amount of cash to spend right now(bonus money), so I think i'm gonna pick one up. The SFAS packing list states "Pocket Knife/Tool 1 per candidate - blade length cannot exceed 3" "; is the blade length on this under 3"(the specs just list length of the tool), and would this be allowed as a multi tool to bring to SFAS?
Thanks
Michael

I would wait for the new version, unless you have to have one for an SFAS class before the New Wave is released.

It should be fine and serve you well here.

Good luck!

TR

mcd72085
05-11-2004, 22:37
Thanks for the answers (TR and Sac), and the advice (razor). I'll probably pick one up now for work, etc, then pick up the new version when it comes out for SFAS. Like I said, I got a bonus recently, and all of my bills up through the time I leave for OSUT have already been payed off....so I can have some fun buying some new toys with it in the mean time :D

Bill Harsey
05-12-2004, 06:32
Clear thinking, get both. What is the new steel upgrade?

Razor
05-12-2004, 08:52
Upon review, I realize I misspoke, Bill. The flyer shows the Wave continuing to use 420 Stainless, while the Charge will upgrade to 154CM. Sorry about the screw up.

Bill Harsey
05-12-2004, 11:07
Originally posted by Razor
Upon review, I realize I misspoke, Bill. The flyer shows the Wave continuing to use 420 Stainless, while the Charge will upgrade to 154CM. Sorry about the screw up. Razor, No problem. Leatherman should use the 154CM on the Wave too. That's a no brainer unless he needs to sell thru a lot of the new models. I'll mention that if I see him. Just thought of something-he should make a "Special Operations" grade Wave!

Air.177
05-12-2004, 11:22
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Just thought of something-he should make a "Special Operations" grade Wave!

Do you mean with an S-30V blade?

Sacamuelas
05-12-2004, 12:04
Originally posted by Air.177
Do you mean with an S-30V blade?

No Air .177..... he means take a good multi-tool... take a picture of it being held by a guy who "looks" like he is a SF soldier, and then sell it in magazines to Solid for $35 MORE than the same exact non-SF model because it is like the one the People's medic carries.!!! LOL :p

Just kidding Solid.

back to thread....(Yes, I know what Bill really meant) haha

Bill Harsey
05-12-2004, 17:46
Originally posted by Air.177
Do you mean with an S-30V blade? I spoke to Tim Leatherman about that in person at the Oregon Knife show this year. He's a pretty quiet type of guy, you know, like Reaper.

The Reaper
05-12-2004, 18:00
I spoke to Tim Leatherman about that in person at the Oregon Knife show this year. He's a pretty quiet type of guy, you know, like Reaper.

Hmm, he is MUCH quieter than me. In fact, you would hardly know that Tim Leatherman is around.

Wonder who recommended the S-30V blade steel to him?

TR

Air.177
05-12-2004, 21:25
He's a pretty quiet type of guy, you know, like Reaper.

Oh yeah, Reeeeaaalll quiet!

Bill Harsey
05-13-2004, 07:53
Originally posted by The Reaper
Hmm, he is MUCH quieter than me. In fact, you would hardly know that Tim Leatherman is around.

Wonder who recommended the S-30V blade steel to him?

TR FAILURE TO GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE ALARM! It was You Sir Reaper. Good thinking on your part too. That's why I was telling Leatherman about the steel.

Desert Fox
05-14-2004, 16:15
I have the Wave.I've tried many other tools and the Wave is definetely the best I found.Some feedbacks:

1-the external tools are very easy to 'put in action', with a simple thumb action.Many other products have all there blade INSIDE only;

2-the cisors are very very useful;

3-the clamps are very nice and can be unlock with a simple thumb action.I need only two finger to close an external tool.And only my thumb to open.

4-the inside tools in the cisors side are very easy to open, because they get out all at the same time.I dont know if all the Wave are like that.

5-the tools, particularly the external ones, are very slack and easy to open, but are still locking hard, while easy to unlock;

6-to the opposite, some tools (just one side of the internal tools) are a little hard to open.I never tried to adjust the screw, since I dont have to proper screwdriver;

7-the whole pinces are 'spring-loaded'.At one side,when the Wave is close, they are what I can compare as teeths.A bad thing is that when you close the Wave rapidly, you can get your skin suddenly crushed.The spring keeps your Wave sharply close, but two times I was surprised, and that was a little hard to remove.

8-they are too much screwdrivers of different sizes for the same shape;

9-since the Wave is in stainless steel, this is another source of reflection.Gerber offers a new black 'tactical' tool;

10-it's hard to find the exact size ans shape for the adjusting screws.

As a conclusion, the Leatherman Wave is my favorite tool, and I use it almost everyday.