PDA

View Full Version : Herniated L5-S1 disc, sciatica, and microdiscectomy

zeke
02-27-2008, 20:37
I didn't want to cut in on the disc replacement discussion and thought that some of the people here might have experience with this situation.

I've had almost a year of sciatica from a herniated disc in the L5-S1 location. I haven't been able to detect any numbness or weakness, just the pain that comes and goes depending on the activity/position. I've been doing physical therapy every other day and stretching every day for the last year or so but the sciatica remains, especially after sitting for long periods and driving a car is the worst. It's been verified in an MRI and I've seen a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic surgeon. Both have recommended a microdiscectomy.

My question is has anyone on here had a microdiscectomy for this condition, and if so were they happy with it? Did your sciatica come back or did you have any other complications? I'm not looking for a second opinion, just any similar experiences. I tried the search function for sciatica, microdiscectomy, and herniated disc but didn't see these questions asked before.

I've been doing a lot of research on the internet and talked to my doctors but I'm still nervous about surgery on my spine. I'm 33 and had the disc bulge the first time about 10 years ago but it went away with physical therapy until recently.

Kyobanim
02-28-2008, 04:25
My wife had it. Sounds exactly like what you have. No problems and short rehab.

Yes the problem recurred. About 6 months later.

CDRODA396
02-28-2008, 06:06
I herneated my L5-S1 in Northern Iraq around Mar/Apr 03. A sneeze would litterally almost knock me out, stars, buckled knees, the pain was so bad...also had numbness in right side fingers and the outside of my right ankle. And when I sat down, my right foot would go to sleep, when I stood up, it would wake up instantly. I got back in May, had a deployment to OEF scheduled in Sep. Opted for the micro-discetomy in July.

Went into surgery at about 1100, woke up at about 1300, walked out of the hospital at 1700 sore, but basically all symptoms gone.

Six weeks of do nothing, and then headed to OEF and did that rotation and another one before PCS'ing to SOCOM and retiring.

That disc has never bothered me again. Now the degenerative disc disease in L1-2, L2-3 and L4-5 remind me constantly that I shouldnt have chased so many jumps in my youth, but such is life, no regrets....(you know, He who dies with the most jumps wins!)

The procedure didnt require a spinal, and the incision was only about 3/4".

Results vary, but relief was instant and permanent for me.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Red Flag 1
02-28-2008, 13:41
Content edit.

zeke
02-29-2008, 12:38
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'll get the surgery in a couple weeks. It seems like the nerve could use some of the disc material removed as this has happened at least twice. I still need to talk to the doc about the steriod injections.