PDA

View Full Version : Support for all the QPs out there.. I need your help

veritasthrice
02-27-2008, 17:26
Hi Sirs,

I'm a recent member here; I've been reading these forums for quite sometime and only recently registered to begin posting. This will be a post for two things, but first I will give background as to why I'll be asking help of you all.

I'm a Senior at a University here in PA, and I'm taking a Public Speaking course. I have a persuasive speech to do as an assignment to present in front of my classmates. I decided to do a speech to actuate students into supporting U.S. Soldiers on deployment. As part of my speech I thought it would be a good opportunity to use a story as testimonial of members from the board; mainly what I'm looking for is how you all feel when you get letters from anonymous individuals and what it means to you.

I'm also looking for a short story to move them to understand just how much you guys sacrifice for their freedom. A lot of students in my class are for varied reasons, less than patriotic. I personally believe that they just need some inspiration, and from some of the things I've read here are the epitome of inspiration to me. I'm not a person easily moved by emotion but some of the stories of bravery and love of your fellows bring me close to the involuntary waterworks. That is what I'm kind of going for with them.

The second thing I'm asking for help on is a little bit different. I've had some correspondence with TR about it to clear everything with him about asking prior-to. As part of showing that I really believe in what I am speaking about, I'm funding the materials (stamps envelopes paper, etc) so that each student might write a letter to a soldier who is deployed. I see it like this, if I move them enough and make them care, and give them the means to do so, I should get some results. Even though its not part of my requirements, it's something i want to do. Herein lies my dilemma; according to what TR told me APO regs have changed (its been a few years since I've sent stuff to anyone at an APO outside my family) and I cannot simply have the students address them to "any serviceman".

So I only have two options, collect contact info from you guys here who would like to receive letters, or know someone who could use a little morale boost. Or if one of you kind sirs would be willing that I could mail you all of the letters and you could distribute them for me. The second seems like a better option to me because getting addresses of people here screams OPSEC to me.

If anyone would be willing to distribute these letters for me (and currently I have no idea how many I may or may not get, but I guarantee at least one will be going out from me) I would greatly appreciate it. I would even go so far as to ship them with any necessary postage you might need to redistribute them to other places.

I'd like to thank you all for your time, I know its kind of a lengthy post and a little different. I'd also like to thank you all for serving your countries, as I see it there is nothing more honorable a man/woman can do.

PS. If anyones out in the North East PA area around Bloomsburg, drop me a PM , and you got a beer on me!

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-27-2008, 20:10
I'm also looking for a short story to move them to understand just how much you guys sacrifice for their freedom. !

Pick one!

Gypsy
02-27-2008, 20:13
If you are unable to get any addresses, I would be happy to provide you mine. I'm currently corresponding with a few Soldiers (one is a CSM) and could include any letters you collect and send them with my own.

texasjack
02-27-2008, 20:31
i've got someone who would love to get a letter like that. Pm me for more info.

veritasthrice
02-27-2008, 21:18
Pick one!
Roger that, Sir!

I just want to make sure I get the story straight so as not to do anyone disservice in relaying their courage and dedication to our great nation. (I swear that rhymed by coincidence!)

If you are unable to get any addresses, I would be happy to provide you mine. I'm currently corresponding with a few Soldiers (one is a CSM) and could include any letters you collect and send them with my own.

Ma'am,

I'd appreciate that very much, I will keep you up to date, I'm not due to give my presentation until March, 7th. Unfortunately it's right before Spring Break, however I hope that doesn't keep anyone from writing. I'll see everyone again on the 17th after that. I'm hoping that at least a few people decide to send letters at least. If not I will be busy at work writing a few myself! :)

Thank you for the consideration and caring to offer your help, I appreciate it very much.

RB
02-27-2008, 21:53
Go to this site and register. Then write a story about some of the people you meet here.

'Patriot Guard Riders':

http://www.patriotguard.org/

Here you will find many deployed soldiers needing correspondence as well as families in need of support for lost heroes in the GWOT.

I commend you for your effort.

21 years Army SF, D-6606.

If this site doesn't facilitate involuntary waterfall, nothing will.

:o:o

Gypsy
02-27-2008, 22:15
Ma'am,

I'd appreciate that very much, I will keep you up to date, I'm not due to give my presentation until March, 7th. Unfortunately it's right before Spring Break, however I hope that doesn't keep anyone from writing. I'll see everyone again on the 17th after that. I'm hoping that at least a few people decide to send letters at least. If not I will be busy at work writing a few myself! :)

Thank you for the consideration and caring to offer your help, I appreciate it very much.

No need to call me names...lol just kidding, but seriously you don't have to call me ma'am. Makes me feel old. ;)

Whenever you have the letters just PM me. There's no rush...these guys will be there for a while.

veritasthrice
02-27-2008, 23:09
No need to call me names...lol just kidding, but seriously you don't have to call me ma'am. Makes me feel old. ;)

Whenever you have the letters just PM me. There's no rush...these guys will be there for a while.

Aw, alright I was just trying to give respect where its due hehe! :)

Matta mile
02-28-2008, 08:17
PS:
Andrew, small point.

There is no such thing as "Sirs" in the military. It is Gentlemen or perhaps Ladies and gentlemen (start with the highest ranking officers gender).
I know its chicken shit but it may be beneficial to know at some point.

veritasthrice
02-28-2008, 15:49
PS:
Andrew, small point.

There is no such thing as "Sirs" in the military. It is Gentlemen or perhaps Ladies and gentlemen (start with the highest ranking officers gender).
I know its chicken shit but it may be beneficial to know at some point.

Roger that, thanks for the heads up.

veritasthrice
03-07-2008, 11:03
Update:

Well I just got back from giving my speech, all went pretty well. Quite a few people said that they had in the past sent out letters to soldiers, so hopefully they will jump on this opportunity to do it! I even had one guy come up to me and say "Your delivery was great, very emotional and heartfelt". Everyone gets back on the 17th from spring break, so I will send out PMs to the appropriate people to get the letters sorted out when they start coming in!

Team Sergeant
03-07-2008, 12:28
Update:

Well I just got back from giving my speech, all went pretty well. Quite a few people said that they had in the past sent out letters to soldiers, so hopefully they will jump on this opportunity to do it! I even had one guy come up to me and say "Your delivery was great, very emotional and heartfelt". Everyone gets back on the 17th from spring break, so I will send out PMs to the appropriate people to get the letters sorted out when they start coming in!

Let's see the speech....:munchin

Ret10Echo
03-07-2008, 14:36

Second that...

veritasthrice
03-07-2008, 15:22

It was actually video taped; so if I can get it over to a PC format I'll upload it if you guys really want to see it. Although it makes me nervous because I know how critical you guys can be ;) That and I can bet I'll catch flak for being a skinny guy for now!

Will do what I can to get it though, if I can't I'll post my written notes for you all.

Squintz
03-11-2008, 19:38
It was actually video taped; so if I can get it over to a PC format I'll upload it if you guys really want to see it. Although it makes me nervous because I know how critical you guys can be ;) That and I can bet I'll catch flak for being a skinny guy for now!

Will do what I can to get it though, if I can't I'll post my written notes for you all.

Where's the speech?

Oh, and what's wrong with being skinny?:lifter

veritasthrice
03-14-2008, 23:21
Where's the speech?

Oh, and what's wrong with being skinny?:lifter

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. On spring break down with the parents and internet access is sketchy at best here.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get video :( I will post the content itself (pulled from my note cards) at least.

Monday is my first class back after asking people to write, hopefully I made an impression on a few people!

As for being skinny, I'm too skinny! I'm floating around 135lbs at about 6' w/ 3% body fat.