bluebb
02-27-2008, 16:09
1. Join the army.

2. Pick the infantry/engineers/medic as a MOS

3. Volunteer for jump school.

4. Volunteer for the 82nd or Ranger Bn.

5. Learn your job.

6. Do your job.

and I am sure after 3 or 4 years you will be ready for SFAS/SFQC.

Blue

Weaponsguy76
04-02-2008, 02:38
I would have to agree with bluebb, Maturity time spent with Big Army will help a lot. After that a lot of Rucking and running, Pushing and Pulling won't hurt. Prepare the feet like TS has said many times in his other posts. My feet went south fast in team week. Nothing hurts more then blistered feet walking on crushed stone with the Green TIC on your back.
When and if you ever make it to a team, ruckmarching is an every other day thing at PT. At least it was on 723 when I was there.

KRULL
04-12-2008, 12:25
RGR batallion will definetly prep you, physically and mentally, but it is a whole different animal than SF. i have spent the last three years in 1/75 RGR RGT and i feel that i am more than ready to take on the challenges of SF. not to mention, my recruiter has told me that in the past three years all of the rangers he has sent to SFAS have been selected...

The Reaper
04-12-2008, 13:30
RGR batallion will definetly prep you, physically and mentally, but it is a whole different animal than SF. i have spent the last three years in 1/75 RGR RGT and i feel that i am more than ready to take on the challenges of SF. not to mention, my recruiter has told me that in the past three years all of the rangers he has sent to SFAS have been selected...

Not to burst your bubble, but there is a world of difference between assured confidence, and arrogance. You have hardly proven yourself yet. We are looking for not just a strong back, but a sharp mind and the right psychology to go with it. Note that your spelling and grammar are not indicating a good intelligence and educational background. Situational awareness and attention to detail are key indicators.

SF is no cakewalk, Ranger or not. We will see if you still feel that way after SFAS and the SFQC are done with you. Then you MAY be qualified to comment on SF physical prep.

And no offense, but I note that that you are a spoon in a Batt, which does not exactly prepare you for the rigors of the SFQC (or an 18 anything) the way being an 11B in any infantry battalion would. And I have seen plenty of Batt boys sent home without being selected.

Best of luck regardless. You are going to need it, especially with your attitude.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-12-2008, 14:29

To add to what The Reaper noted, I have seen Rangers wash out of SFAS and the Q course. A Ranger is a Ranger is a Ranger and the two do not equate. While I wish you the best on your quest do not assume that anything you did in the batt is going to make your desired transition to SF any easier. Ranger training has its pluses, but it does not ensure that you are any better prepared for what lies ahead for you in SF than the efforts of any other well motivated, well conditioned, and committed soldier from any branch. As a matter of fact, by the time I had completed my first year in my first unit there was nothing that I had done in Ranger School that I had not done as an Infantry Lieutenant.

TAN2GREEN
04-12-2008, 15:12
I believe that being a Ranger from RGR RGT and being RGR qualified are totally different, in fact i know it to be true. KRULL not everyone from RGT gets selected, when i went to selection there was a buddy of mine from 1/75 he never got his tab and got RFS'd (released for standards) he thought the same thing as his recruiter told him. But when it came to being a Ranger he was not the poster boy, get it. Now if your squared away you will be fine and SF would be lucky to have you. SFAS is challenging just do your best you'll be fine. A ranger is a ranger is a ranger analogy is not true. Ranger RGT has evolved since 9/11 and people dont understand that Ranger RGT isnt Ranger school trust me. You will be surprised to see how many SF soldiers dont have ranger tabs. Rangers from Regiment stood out from the rest when i went thru the whole Q course. If you get selected you have a long road ahead of you and it is totally worth it. SF is awesome and you learn so much everyday and there is more responsiblity than you can imagine.

Weaponsguy76
04-12-2008, 19:10

It's always easy until you're there getting your fifth point of contact handed to you. One piece of advise, Keep your mouth shut until about a year after you have walked across the stage. That might be a whole different phase in its own for you.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-12-2008, 19:17
A ranger is a ranger is a ranger analogy is not true. Ranger RGT has evolved since 9/11 and people dont understand that Ranger RGT isnt Ranger school trust me. .

Let's see, based on your total experience in the military I guess you must have had much more experience than have I. I am not equating Ranger School grads with Ranger Regiment soldiers, in fact I have the highest regard for those in the Batts and have done more to support them and work with them than you will ever know. What I am talking about here is mindset, not quality of soldiers. I have had troops from the regiment that have moved on into SF and have done well, but I have also had the same that while good soldiers never really capable of expanding their horizons and vision beyond small unit tactics and the kill them all and let god sort them out mentality. Rangers are the finest light infantry in the world but that is only one skill set needed by a SF troop. And yes a Ranger is a Ranger is a Ranger when he looks at the world through his mindset of a light infantry soldier and that is a severe limitation.