PDA

View Full Version : Marines Call New Body Armor Heavy, Impractical

BMT (RIP)
02-27-2008, 13:24
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,333154,00.html

BMT

Pete S
02-27-2008, 13:39
"Conway and his team refused to wear the vests during their visit to Iraq last week due to their weight and impracticality."

That says it all.
If a General and his staff don't like wearing it for their "field trips" I can only image how the ground pounders feel about it.

The Reaper
02-27-2008, 13:46
The vest is only a few pounds more than the armor it replaced, and provides additional coverage.

Imagine the noise if they had gotten the Dragon Skin vests at an additional ten pounds plus.

The vest can probably be donned without going over the head, if you want to unfasten an additional strap or two.

I say suck it up and get it on.

TR

Footmobile
02-27-2008, 13:52
Most infantry Marines that have the new vest and take the time to set it up properly like it better than the old one (just coming off deployment where I saw all the new ones coming into country and speaking with the guys). We can do better though, and I don't think this one will be around for very long. There are obviously many better systems out there. Most of the complaints come from people who don't care enough to learn the system and just throw it together and expect it to work for them with out putting any thought into their kit.

I have found that you need to down size it one size from your old interceptor size to make it maneuverable enough, as well as cutting some weight. Even though the kevlar is the same size and cut as the Interceptor, the MTV's seem to feel a lot more bulky for the same size vest you used to wear. Another big complaint is the neck protector and its poor design. I like the one on the Army IOTV better than ours.

Footmobile
02-27-2008, 13:56
The vest can probably be donned without going over the head, if you want to unfasten an additional strap or two.

TR

Most guys just undo one of the shoulder buckles and one side of the cumberbun and slide it on sideways.

crash
02-07-2009, 20:44
I've never worn this or really know much about it other than trying to remove it from a patient, isn't this vest supposed to have a quick release? Ya this guys didn't, where it was I don't know...

Managed to undo the shoulder buckles and the waist portion -similar to iotv- but the neck collar was a little tricky, still came off fast and alot easier than a IBA would have...

All in all better than a IBA, could definatly be improved; looked comfortable and like it offered alot of protection/ surface area. Looks simiilar to a RAV with collar to me.

Hostile0311
02-08-2009, 06:07
Not the first time the Corps has invested in a "less than stellar" product. Anybody remember Molle Gen I and the Gen II with the plastic frames? I must have broken 4 of them. Thankfully we had a sympathetic Bn Commander who requisitioned us the old Large Mountain rucks.
What startles me is that the Commandant, "wants to know who authorized the costly purchase of the nearly 30-pound flak jackets and has ordered the Marine procurement officers at the Quantico base in Virginia to halt the rest of an unfilled order, FOX News has learned." If this is in fact the case as quoted by Fox News (not the most reliable source I know) does he not know what those under his command are doing? I realize the works started before he became Commandant but I don't think that is a viable excuse. What are they trying to do to my "Beloved Corps"? I agree with Footmobile. It probably won't be around long. Even if it is...it looks to offer better protection regardless of the "comfort level" and that is what matters most IMO.

Max_Tab
02-08-2009, 07:09
I agree with Footmobile. It probably won't be around long. Even if it is...it looks to offer better protection regardless of the "comfort level" and that is what matters most IMO.

I disagree. Remember the old saying, "speed is security"? I would rather have a lighter armor that made me more manuevarable, then have better protection that I can barely walk in. Most of the guy's I work with are of the same opinion, and we have downsized to the MBAV. Less protection but significantly lighter, and way more manueverable.

I personally think it should be an individual choice.

Hostile0311
02-08-2009, 07:33
I disagree. Remember the old saying, "speed is security"? I would rather have a lighter armor that made me more manuevarable, then have better protection that I can barely walk in. Most of the guy's I work with are of the same opinion, and we have downsized to the MBAV. Less protection but significantly lighter, and way more manueverable.

I personally think it should be an individual choice.

Sir,
I see your point and agree that body armor should offer the best of both worlds (protection/maneuverability) and sometimes one is sacrificed in favor for the other. Being able to choose would be a good idea but the Marine Corps in its wisdom won't give the Marine himself a choice. I had commanders who would bend the rules a bit but a vast majority were rigid in their thinking that "all Marines should look the same and have the same kit, AKA uniformity of gear". I do srongly believe the Soldier/Marine should be allowed some degree of flexibility in customizing their individual gear to maximize mission accomplishiment. Unfortunately, in the Corps this was the exception rather than the rule. At least in my unit.