PDA

View Full Version : Talonite blades... do you care?

PiterM
02-25-2008, 18:46
I'm wondering... how popular are non-ferrous blades among SF people? Do you see that (non-magnetic, non-ferrous) blade as a big advantage? If any of course.

I don't care about anti-magnetic nature of talonite. But I find talonite to be a superior cutter. It's considerably more aggresive on ropes / webbing / flash when compared to stainless steel. Any thoughts guys?

sofmed
02-26-2008, 00:16
"Where does he get those wonderful toys!"

Nice looking knife. PM me later, if you wouldn't mind, with some info on the maker, etc. Would like to get my hands on one if possible.

Mick

Bill Harsey
02-26-2008, 10:30
Piter,
Using the term "stainless steel" is kind of like saying "car".
There are many different alloys of stainless tool steels with very different performance characteristics...
...but of course you know that. ;)

I remember way back when Rob Simonich was selling the talonite and the one thing I noted is that it is heavier than steel alloys.
Can you feel this in your knife?

PiterM
02-26-2008, 15:08
Bill, of course (your commnet about s.steel). But I did it on purpose in fact. I know that S60V or S90V, S3V, and most carbon steels can be very agressive cutters as well. Especially when sharpened in a certain way (I mean "micro-serrations" on the edge). We can skip this part of my question in fact. I'm more interested in an answer, what do you (SF) think about non-ferrous blades. Non magnetic blades? Do you find them useful in your job? Better in any certain way or under certain conditions than s.steel (let's say S30V of your Green Beret)? EOD guys do notice the difference as far as I know :)

I remember way back when Rob Simonich was selling the talonite and the one thing I noted is that it is heavier than steel alloys. Can you feel this in your knife?
It's the size of Sebenza but it's noticeably heavier. Not THAT much, but still I was able to tell that just after I unpacked it, even without sebby in the other hand.

EDIT: Mick, I'll PM you with pleasure. Rob Simonich was a GREAT guy...

sofmed
02-27-2008, 01:44
Thanks, PiterM.

Cheers!

Mick

Bill Harsey
02-27-2008, 11:05
Piter,
Maybe you should explain what Talonite is.

Unless it has a trigger or bra strap on it, sometimes it's tough to get these guys interested.

(Of course I'm speaking of the bra on the front of Porsche cars to keep rock chip damage down) :D

The Reaper
02-27-2008, 11:08
I believe that Talonite's near relative, Stellite, was used to line machine gun barrels.

TR

PiterM
02-28-2008, 16:07
Piter,
Maybe you should explain what Talonite is.

So...

Talonite is a Cobalt Chromium alloy, a member of the Haynes Alloy family, that has been treated with a new hot rolling age hardening process. Talonite is the same composition as alloy 6BH (Stellite), except for the hot rolling and age hardening. The direct age hardening after hot rolling provides maximum hardness and wear resistance. The advantages this creates are increased wear resistance, increased hardness, and improved machining characteristics. Talonite is much easier to grind than other Stellite type alloys and has improved edge retention qualities.

It holds an edge extremely well, some have said that it holds an edge better than most steel.

MORE ABOUT IT: http://www.geocities.com/mdpoff/talonite.html