PDA

View Full Version : USSR 'secret' Vietnam soldiers speak out

BMT (RIP)
02-25-2008, 10:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wprT66Yjxs

BMT

tom kelly
02-26-2008, 06:28
In the film clip in the previous post the narrator claims 16 Russians were killed in Vietnam. First, is that an accurate accounting? Second, were any Russians killed in South Vietnam ( Below the 17th parallel) and last how many were killed during the Son Tay raid? Does anyone have any info on these questions? Regards, tom kelly

QRQ 30
02-26-2008, 07:54
You ask some hard questions. In C&C capturing a caucasion was always a priority. A sizable reward was offered to both the indig in cash and USSF in R&R and assignments. I don't know that one had been captured. I spotted a man carrying a BRNO and he was much larger than the NVA. I guess our CAS greased him and the 4ID recovered the body of a Chinese. This was an in-country mission.

At Khe Sahn I listened to Russian on the FM. I speak Czech but it is close enough to be understood.

CPTAUSRET
02-26-2008, 08:02
In the film clip in the previous post the narrator claims 16 Russians were killed in Vietnam. First, is that an accurate accounting? Second, were any Russians killed in South Vietnam ( Below the 17th parallel) and last how many were killed during the Son Tay raid? Does anyone have any info on these questions? Regards, tom kelly

Don't know, Tom. I definitely saw Caucasian (appearing) individuals advising, and fighting on the other side.

We were looking for a "Salt and Pepper" team operating in the Delta. Either the U Minh forest, or the Rung Sat (Special Zone).

bluebb
02-26-2008, 10:58
While deployed to Uzbekistan in 96-97 I saw a plaque on the wall of their O-club which was in Vietnamese writing. I did not see any dates on it but it was for training that had been conducted by the Soviets for the Vietnamese military.

Could have been after the war but who knows.

Blue

x-factor
02-26-2008, 11:55
Does anyone have a percentage (or a guess) on what percentage of the Russian advisors were for air defense compared to regular infantry, spetsnaz, medical, etc?