PDA

View Full Version : Showing My Age

Razor
02-23-2008, 17:48
My understanding of World of Warcraft was that you couldn't play single-player, and had to not only buy the game software but pay a monthly subscription fee to be able to play the game. My son is trying to tell me that you can indeed play WoW in single-player mode, without any Internet connection or subscription fees to access game servers. Could someone with more knowledge of this than I explain WoW in simple enough terms for me to understand please?

mdb23
02-23-2008, 18:05
Okay, let me preface this by saying that I have never played the game..... not even once.

According to the results of my Google Fu, the moderators over at the official WoW forums state that you MUST have an internet connection and pay a monthly fee in order to play. Thems the rules, so to speak.

However, if you read more of the threads, you can apparently play without paying if you (and other players) have access to a private server, and can bootleg and install the necessary software, etc....

Of course, you wont get updates this way, and can only progress so far, not to mention that you are violating the terms of service and committing software piracy, but somehow it can be done.......

Silent Storm151
02-23-2008, 18:23
Sir, is it possible your son is referring to the other warcraft games? I know all other warcraft games can be played in single player in a skirmish and story mode. Otherwise, I believe you need a private server or something.

Stay Safe,
TJ

Razor
02-23-2008, 19:22
Thanks for the replies! SS151, this appears to be the base game, World of Warcraft, and not any of the expansion packs (The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King) or previous versions (Warcraft, Warcraft II, Warcraft III).

Kyobanim
02-23-2008, 19:27
Razor, it's okay to play computer games. Come on, fess up. :p

Razor
02-23-2008, 20:19
If I only had the time. What ever happend to Pong? That was simple, took no time to set up, could run on practically every TV out there, and didn't require dad to have a friggin' electrical engineering degree to figure out system compatibility, power requirements, available memory, blah-blah-blah.

You know what, I think I'm going to confiscate the computer and give the kids a stick to play with.

GratefulCitizen
02-23-2008, 22:49
If I only had the time. What ever happend to Pong? That was simple, took no time to set up, could run on practically every TV out there, and didn't require dad to have a friggin' electrical engineering degree to figure out system compatibility, power requirements, available memory, blah-blah-blah.

You know what, I think I'm going to confiscate the computer and give the kids a stick to play with.

Rather than sticks, use warm water pvc pipe, closed cell foam (yoga mats, camping mats, pipe insulation), and duct tape.

You can make some nice little swords, axes, and maces.
Nothing helps sibling bonding like hitting each other with blunt objects.
:D:D

(When they get older and stronger, you can put packets of lead shot in the pvc pipes.)
:lifter

Razor
02-23-2008, 23:15
Actually, I've made some rough gladii look-alikes by cutting some curves into the long paint stirring sticks for 5 gal. buckets you can get at Home Depot. Blunt the tips, round off the edges, have the kids put on safety goggles (mom wouldn't let them play otherwise) and that's that. :lifter

I'm hoping the lacrosse starting up next week takes some of the energy out of 'em.

Spartan359
02-24-2008, 23:07
I have a friend who plays Razor, be prepared for your kid to be sucked in and to be playing in the wee hours of the night. As previously stated its mainly a multi-player game. Though you can access private servers. The latter involves altering some of the game files. I think the subscription is like $15 a month. Your kid can also purchase time cards at stores like BestBuy and Walmart. As far as the game content goes there isnt really anything to worry about. There are language filters and other parent settings you can emplace. There even is a time limit setting you can enable so your kid doesn't play for 10 hours a day. If you have anyother questions let me know.

I'm going back to reading my book on the String Theory. :D

SF18C
02-25-2008, 00:31
It's the end of the world...of warcraft (http://www.southparkzone.com/episodes/1008/Make-Love-Not-Warcraft.html)
:munchin

sofmed
02-26-2008, 00:30
Rather than sticks, use warm water pvc pipe, closed cell foam (yoga mats, camping mats, pipe insulation), and duct tape.

You can make some nice little swords, axes, and maces.
Nothing helps sibling bonding like hitting each other with blunt objects.
:D:D

Sticks were good enough for us, and if one of us put an eye out we just chalked it up to survival of the fittest.

Ah, yes, Pong. What a lovely game. Stands right up there with the original Atari Asteroids. Only ONE button to push. TYVM. :D

Cheers!

Mick

Geo
02-26-2008, 12:21
I've been hooked on Red Orchestra, WW 2 game for a year now. Unbelievable graphics. My wife calls me a dork though. :o

jatx
02-26-2008, 12:57
All right, I'll admit it - I play EVE Online. With 7000 explorable planetary systems and about 35,000 players online at a time, it is a lot of fun. :)

BoyScout
02-26-2008, 14:31
I play the game and Warcraft III at home. WoW or World of Warcraft, is an online only multi-player game that is highly addictive and time consuming. It's not for people under 16 or 17. You pay to play either through subscriptions or $30 60 day game cards. It's a good game really, but the people are a factor in it as well. Don't let your kids play it without restrictions. But age wise, people in their late teens and twenty-something kids are the average age but I've seen the ages go from 9 to 66 years old.

I misspelled "your."

Spartan359
02-26-2008, 23:40
All right, I'll admit it - I play EVE Online. With 7000 explorable planetary systems and about 35,000 players online at a time, it is a lot of fun. :)

Please tell me you don't belong to BoB. I'd have to hunt you down. :D

emoore
05-06-2008, 08:52
UO -- Great online game, my kids got me started on it 8 years ago. They stopped playing 5 years ago but I can't kick the addiction. Showing my age -- I would drive to my sisters when I was in my teens and spend hours playing 'Pong' I'm sure there are some around my age that remember that game.

C0B2A
05-11-2008, 12:28
I play some world of warcraft. Its a fun game that I play with my brother and some other friends from back home. A bunch of guys in my CAV unit play too. It is addictive and you gotta check yourself cause time flys by when your playing. Its cheap fun though and it allows me to have some fun with family and friends in other parts of the country.

Ghost02
05-26-2008, 09:55
Ghost02,

Go back and read the rules. No more posting from you.

Kyo