PDA

View Full Version : US Veterans for National Security, Inc.

ODA CDR (RET)
02-23-2008, 15:15
I recently encountered this group of old timers at an event in Florida. On the surface the organization appears to be worthy. This corporation is formed of patriotic volunteers and established on 4 Jul 07. The director and and supervisors will be the focal point for government authorities to contact when requesting augmentation or assistance during any emergency. While many people will try to step forward in times of crisis, the US Veterans will respond with an organized, trained group of volunteers easily distinguished in their jumpsuit uniforms.

This organization is 33 members strong, and are comprised of all services. It reminds me of when the Hells Angels wrote the President to send them into Vietnam. I wonder what the relevence of this group may be in the eyes of federal/state/local LEA. I think its a great idea but short of traffic control, will a group like this ever be seen as viable alternative to professionals?

Thoughts?

V/R
ODA CDR (RET)

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-23-2008, 15:22
There are groups like this forming up in many places. From my casual observation of some of them the one drawback seems to be their approach of: "Well the way it used to be". The problem with that, and with many of the forums that I read from time to time, is that time moves forward but many of these folks are locked in a time warp-regardless of their good intentions. You see some of that also on the various "SF" forums, folks do not realize that doctrine has changed. Folks on this site used WET for Winter Exercise Training. Hell, in my day, WET was the acronym for Weather, Enemy, and Terrain used in a mission analysis. Just a thought.

Ret10Echo
02-23-2008, 16:36
Just a thought,

Kudos for this and other groups wanting to be organized in order to assist in an emergency...

Drawback, volunteers entering into a disaster/emergency area become a liability to the active response effort.

R10

swpa19
02-23-2008, 16:53
will a group like this ever be seen as viable alternative to professionals?

As the Col. and Echo has stated, they are to be commended for their thoughts. But I feel their actions are restricted by their education or lack of such. First responders are constantly trained for these events. There is definitely a place for these ex service personell, there always will be. But like the Col. says time causes change and, if your not constantly brought up to speed, it leaves your education lacking. It goes back to the old addage "Those that can do. Those that cant teach".

Leave it to the trained professionals.

one-zero
02-23-2008, 17:42
as I've had to relay to many a well intentioned individual:

"Don't let your enthusiasm exceed your capability"

Just may end up endangering yourself and others...many don't really want to do an honest self-assessment. See this among quite a few active professionals across the services and agencies as well.

these guys aren't in Brevard county by chance???

ODA CDR (RET)
02-23-2008, 19:56
Brevard County. Pretty sure they are the lone US Vets for National Security. I do know there are others that are sucessful, ie. Minutemen on the border of Texas, Guardian Angels in the subways of NY and several others that I've forgotten about. Did a google check and found a foundation of the same name but no connection. I'll be calling the Sheriff in Brevard and Indian River to see what they know of the organization and where/if they fall into the CONPLAN.