PDA

View Full Version : Do good things come to those who wait?

bbg808
02-22-2008, 21:33
I decided to enlist after I graduated college with the goal of making it to SF as an officer after I’ve done a few years as an enlisted soldier. I was fortunate enough to attend language school and become a 97e. I’ve completed two years so far on active duty and have returned home since. My sincere goal was to learn as much as I could from every experience so that I would in the end become the best officer I could. However, I fear that my goal may be eluding me as I continue to wait. I am slotted to start OCS but also have the opportunity to attend a Pre-SFAS ran by a local SF company. My question would be is it worth waiting for the OCS program to conclude or go for it now? Ultimately I know the decision is my own and several conditions must be met, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or could offer personal experiences. Thank you in advance, to call this site a wealth of knowledge is an understatement.

BG

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-23-2008, 06:16
If you have not changed your goals you have already answered your own question. You cannot become an 18A without first becoming an officer so OCS is your route and as you have noted their is no guarantee that you will make it to your ultimate goal as you will have several years after commissioning before your are eligible, assuming you are still able, to even attempt a try for 18A. I think it might be time for you to reach down deep and make a decision about what it is you really want to do. Good things don't come to anyone who waits; good things are garnered by those who work to get them.

The Reaper
02-23-2008, 09:05
Hard to answer without knowing you personally, but this is probably the second most asked question here.

Use of the Search button and some time spent reading the existing threads will keep us from spending an inordinate amount of time answering the same question for impatient or lazy people over, and over, and over again.

Good luck.

TR

Pete
02-23-2008, 09:24
I think the big ones asked here over and over are:

Wife/girlfriend vs SF - How do I tell them/ask them.

College and Officer to SF vs SF now as enlisted.

18X vs Enlist now for something then volunteer for SF.

Go Guard vs Go active.

Then there are the "I read the regs but can I get around them" questions.

incommin
02-23-2008, 10:51
Ben Franklin said, "God helps those who help themselves". This works when you know where you want to go and then form a plan to get there. It is your life and has to be your plan. Don't plan on good things coming your way if you don't make the effort.

Jim

bbg808
02-23-2008, 14:14
Gentlemen,
I appreciate all of the information as well as the PMs that came in with individuals personal experiences. More research needed as well as inflection.
BG