PDA

View Full Version : In Search of Guest Speaker.

stickey
02-21-2008, 09:29
Old Dominion Unversity ROTC Battalion in Virginia is having their 40th Annual Military Ball in April. A guest speaker has not been acquired yet. The Battalion is looking for someone to speak that the cadets can relate to, preferably someone still on AD (trying to keep cost down and have them use PTDY, otherwise we have to pay from the limited funding for the event for their travel, accommodations, etc…) or that live close enough to the area.

Many times cadets have had Generals come and speak, but often times cannot relate to the individual… to the majority of cadets, he/she was just a General/person that spoke on leadership, who they have never heard of before and will never hear of again. Bit impersonal to some.

If you know of anyone (don’t have to be MOH winners, had movies made about them, etc…) that would be willing or that could be contacted, please let me know.

Questions, feel free to ask.
PM me for specifics.

The event is:
251700APR2008
Norfolk, VA

Kyobanim
02-21-2008, 11:22
I don't have a person in mind for you but I would bet that there are hundreds of military persons on this site that would suit your needs. Why don't you read some of the posts of the most active users and make an offer to the one that best suits your needs.

You're the one that has to listen to the person. This place is like an open audition for what you're looking for. I can think of 10 here off the top of my head that would do a fantastic job for a bunch of young military minded youth.

Good luck

stickey
02-21-2008, 20:30
Kyobanim, wilco.

Razor
02-22-2008, 00:21
You want someone to whom the cadets will relate? Bring back a recent graduate-now 2d or 1st LT, that has been on a combat deployment once or twice already. I guarantee they'll hang off his or her every word, as they realize that they'll be in that exact position in the very near future.

ROTCNY
02-26-2008, 11:17
Ditto what Razor said.

In my very short time in the Army, I've encountered too many ROTC Cadets not only from my own Alma Mater, but others as well that don't fully comprehend the responsibility and magnitude of the job they are about to step into.

Having an Alumni, a battle tested 1LT or new CPT, who may even have been a Senior when you started out in ROTC as Freshman come back and give you a little "motivational" speech about what your future responsibilities are going to entail might help enlighten the unenlightened still in a foggy haze from last night's kegger.