PDA

View Full Version : Obama's New Vulnerability

3SoldierDad
02-21-2008, 09:18
Obama's New Vulnerability

By KARL ROVE
February 21, 2008; Page A17
Wallstreet Journal

In campaigns, there are sometimes moments when candidates shift ground, causing the race to change dramatically. Tuesday night was one of those moments.

Hammered for the 10th contest in a row, Hillary Clinton toughened her attacks on Barack Obama, saying he was unready to be commander in chief and unable to back his inspiring words with a record of action and leadership.

John McCain also took on Mr. Obama, with the Arizona senator declaring he would oppose "eloquent but empty calls for change that promises no more than a holiday from history and a return to the false promises and failed policies of a tired philosophy that trusts in government more than people."
Mr. McCain, too, raised questions about Mr. Obama's fitness to be commander in chief. Mr. McCain pointed to Mr. Obama's unnecessary sabre-rattling at an ally (Pakistan) while appeasing our adversaries (Iran and Syria). Mr. McCain also made it clear that reining in spending, which is a McCain strength and an Obama weakness, would be a key issue.

Mr. Obama had not been so effectively criticized before. In the Democratic contest, John Edwards and Mrs. Clinton were unwilling to confront him directly or in a manner that hurt him. Mr. McCain was rightly preoccupied by his own primary. On Tuesday night, things changed.

Perhaps in response to criticisms that have been building in recent days, Mr. Obama pivoted Tuesday from his usual incantations. He dropped the pretense of being a candidate of inspiring but undescribed "post-partisan" change. Until now, Mr. Obama has been making appeals to the center, saying, for example, that we are not red or blue states, but the United States. But in his Houston speech, he used the opportunity of 45 (long) minutes on national TV to advocate a distinctly non-centrist, even proudly left-wing, agenda. By doing so, he opened himself to new and damaging contrasts and lines of criticism.

Mr. McCain can now question Mr. Obama's promise to change Washington by working across party lines. Mr. Obama hasn't worked across party lines since coming to town. Was he a member of the "Gang of 14" that tried to find common ground between the parties on judicial nominations? Was Mr. Obama part of the bipartisan leadership that tackled other thorny issues like energy, immigration or terrorist surveillance legislation? No. Mr. Obama has been one of the most dependably partisan votes in the Senate.

Mrs. Clinton can do much more to draw attention to Mr. Obama's lack of achievements. She can agree with Mr. Obama's statement Tuesday night that change is difficult to achieve on health care, energy, poverty, schools and immigration -- and then question his failure to provide any leadership on these or other major issues since his arrival in the Senate. His failure to act, advocate or lead on what he now claims are his priorities may be her last chance to make a winning argument.

Mr. McCain gets a chance to question Mr. Obama's declaration he won't be beholden to lobbyists and special interests. After Mr. Obama's laundry list of agenda items on Tuesday night, Mr. McCain can ask why, if Mr. Obama rejects the influence of lobbyists, has he not broken with any lobbyists from the left fringe of the Democratic Party? Why is he doing their bidding on a range of issues? Perhaps because he occupies the same liberal territory as they do.

Full article http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120355939956381797.html?mod=opinion_main_comment aries

Three Soldier Dad...Chuck

Goggles Pizano
02-21-2008, 10:01
I am no McCain fan but I think if Obama is the candidate that first debate should be interesting. Especially if he pulls a "we all respect you" comment before a snipe at McCain's policies. The ensuing retort should be a good old naval broadside and the MSM will not know what to do with themselves.

rubberneck
02-21-2008, 10:05
There is a video on youtube where Chris Matthews (I normally hate that miserable SOB) was interviewing a Texas State Senator about his support of Obama. When he finally asked the guy to name one significant achievement the Senator has had during his three years in the Senate the guy couldn't think of one. When pushed on the issue the guy admitted that he hasn't done anything but it didn't matter because it was all about taking the country in a new direction.

I am sure there are plenty of people who will sign on to aimlessly follow a man without a plan or a clue how to improve the country, but there will be even more who recognize fools gold when they see it. I am now more optimistic about the White House remaining in Republican hands than I have at any point during the past two years. That optimism is further buttressed by the fact that the NY Times has already resorted to smearing McCain after years of praising his "maverick" ways. Even those guys can see the light at the end of the tunnel and recognize that it is coming from the train that is about to run them over.

swpa19
02-21-2008, 10:57
before a snipe at McCain's policies.

The main difference here is: McCain HAS policies.

Now, I REALLY like this quote:
Even those guys can see the light at the end of the tunnel and recognize that it is coming from the train that is about to run them over.

3SoldierDad
02-21-2008, 11:07
There is a video on youtube where Chris Matthews (I normally hate that miserable SOB) was interviewing a Texas State Senator about his support of Obama. When he finally asked the guy to name one significant achievement the Senator has had during his three years in the Senate the guy couldn't think of one....

Hillary is starting to hit Barak hard on this very point. "What one significant accomplishment does my opponent have?" It's pretty damning. Hillary's come to crying out that "The Emperor has no clothes." Great message, I just hope she's too late. I now believe Obama would be the easier opponent for McCain than Hillary. All McCain will have to do is to replay Hillary's accusations - He'd even save money on the production time. :o

It shows you the stuff that many Democrats are made of - that they could go over to a guy on such a purely "emotional pitch."

It's both revealing and scary - So many good Americans are so naive and simple.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX9vQ2wsqY0 on Texas state politician Sen. Kirk Watson who supports Obama although he cannot name one of his legislative accomplishments.

Ret10Echo
02-21-2008, 11:34
Senator Barack Obama (D-IL)

1st-term Democrat from Illinois.

Key Votes (short list)

Non-Vote: NV

S.2248 as Amended; FISA Amendments Act of 2007 02/12/2008

H.R. 5140 As Amended; Recovery Rebates and Economic Stimulus for the American People Act of 2008 02/07/2008

H.R.4986; National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008 01/22/2008

Reid Motion to Concur in House Amdt. No. 1 to Senate Amdt. to H.R. 2764; Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 2008 12/19/2007

Farm, Nutrition, and Bioenergy Act of 2007 12/14/2007

National Defense Authorization Act, FY2008 12/14/2007

FHA Modernization Act of 2007 12/14/2007

CLEAN Energy Act of 2007 12/13/2007

Yes vote:

Motion to Invoke Cloture on Amdt. No. 3918 to S. 2248; Relative to the extension of the Protect America Act of 2007. 01/28/2008

Senate Bills sponsored: Drop down list and select....

http://thomas.loc.gov/

longrange1947
02-21-2008, 17:16
Hillary is starting to hit Barak hard on this very point. "What one significant accomplishment does my opponent have?"

She best be careful, as the same can be asked of her. :eek: :munchin

The Reaper
02-21-2008, 18:25
She best be careful, as the same can be asked of her. :eek: :munchin

I have no problem with that.

She wants to cite her 35 years of experience, that SHOULD be asked.

TR

longrange1947
02-21-2008, 20:02
Trust me TR, I am hoping someone does attempt to pin her down as her actual record is abysmal.

Dragbag036
02-21-2008, 20:05
One thing some have not noted is that Obama campaign is based on change, but he never speaks of this change his bid for presidential nomination refers to, or at what expense the nation will pay for this change. When this question is finally asked, will the Senator have to tap dance his way off the podium?

longrange1947
02-21-2008, 20:59
Dragbag, you still at work or finally at home? Obama right now has outlined a few items but the cost would be prohibitive. However, he is right now getting a bye on all of this. That will probably come to an end. :D

Dragbag036
02-21-2008, 21:11
No I'm home, but still working. Had to look on the site to get inspired lol

Hybrid
02-22-2008, 12:29
Something you all might like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kda4_5lFkZM&eurl=http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/

swpa19
02-23-2008, 05:21
the President can't manage the economy.

I believe it is the liberal agenda to micro-manage all facets of government. You have Obama and Hillary wanting every American to have "Universal Health Care" which has NEVER worked. Ask our northern neighbors. Congressional Hearings in the use of steroids by athletes, R.I.N.O. Arlen Sphincter wanting congressional investigations in football teams stealing signals.

I think it was our founding fathers wishes when they put down on paper the guidlines of government to have the Federal government involved less in the lives of the people. It seems to me, that the purpose of local governments would be to handle those problems concerning the immediate concerns of their local folks, and leave the REAL problems to those Federally elected officials.

Course, as Ive said before. Im not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Just an ole guy that lives back here in the hollers next to the crick.

longrange1947
02-23-2008, 08:01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kda4_5lFkZM&eurl=http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/

Shows nothing more than Obama has not the slightest idea of the real workings of the military and thus was taken for a ride.

3SoldierDad
02-23-2008, 12:44
Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kda4_....blogspot.com/

Incredible ignorance...

Shows nothing more than Obama has not the slightest idea of the real workings of the military and thus was taken for a ride.

What concerns me even more than the ignorance expressed is his rush to put forth something he heard from a "Captain friend" as what is passing abroad as the status quo among our fighting men - That our Afghanistan Platoons are being split up because of the war in Iraq and that we're so short of weapons and ammo that our men are being forced to fight with captured Taliban weapons - It's absolutely freak'n laughable. The point is that he believed the story and then endeavors to convey it in a debate as true - This is what is so unimaginable. He is setting forth as fact what he heard from one of his O-3 military pals (if he heard it at all or heard it correctly).

Can you just imagine how easy it would be to manipulate this fellow?

It tells you that Obama is...

1. Gullible
2. Believes the worse about the military
3. The man is not careful
4. He's easily impressed by hearsay which reinforces his own worldview

This man is quintessentially disqualified to be America's President. I'm embarrassed for the Democrats over all their Obamagasms for this guy. Are we such dupes?

IMO, if this guy gets elected, we are an utterly foolish nation and will deserve whatever we get...Scary... Americans so love celebrity and so love to be manipulated...It'd be a dirty rotten shame.

Full URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kda4_5lFkZM&eurl=http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/