PDA

View Full Version : Curfew on all US Military Personnel in Okinawa

the squid
02-19-2008, 15:03
From: http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2008/02/ap_okinawa_curfew_080219/

The U.S. military will slap a curfew on all military personnel in Okinawa from 7:30 a.m. Wednesday following a series of recent incidents involving U.S. servicemen, such as an alleged rape of a Japanese junior high school student by a Marine, Japanese Foreign Ministry officials said late Tuesday.

Given the precarious position that these dirtbag rapists have put the Military in in regards to their relationship with the Japanese civilian population, what else would there be left to do for them?

How do you prevent stuff like this from happening? This "Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Task Force" seems like A CYA thing from my standpoint, as most people understand that "rape" is a definate no no.

I'm fairly young, so I don't claim to have a broad range of knowledge on anything, so it's not for me to second guess any tough decisions made in order to prevent stuff like this from happening again. But what can be done to prevent the Japanese from (falsely) believing all young military males to be drunk rednecks who go out on the weekends and rape and pillage?

Can a severe enough example be set to deter future events like this from occuring?

I know some of you current/retired NCO's/Officers have years of experience dealing with yahoos like this, so what should be done?

Team Sergeant
02-19-2008, 15:11
Having lived in Okinawa a few years I will say this, the only time I locked my vehicle was when I drove onto certain "US Military" bases.

the squid
02-19-2008, 15:29
Having lived in Okinawa a few years I will say this, the only time I locked my vehicle was when I drove onto certain "US Military" bases.

Sir/Sarn't, is there this same problem between the military and the civilian populace in many European countries?

From what I know of Japanese culture, they seem to have a very passive, polite culture, and that would have to clash with the US culture every so often when you get 20 year old guys who are simultaneously bored and have easy access to alcohol.

I don't intend to instigate a pissing contest between the services, but is there some sort of fundamental difference between the Army and the Marine Corps, in terms of the type of people they attract? Cause I don't read about this stuff happening in Germany or Italy . . . . I don't ever read about Airmen raping Japanese middle schoolers . . .

Team Sergeant
02-19-2008, 15:33
Sir/Sarn't, is there this same problem between the military and the civilian populace in many European countries?

From what I know of Japanese culture, they seem to have a very passive, polite culture, and that would have to clash with the US culture every so often when you get 20 year old guys who are simultaneously bored and have easy access to alcohol.

I don't intend to instigate a pissing contest between the services, but is there some sort of fundamental difference between the Army and the Marine Corps, in terms of the type of people they attract? Cause I don't read about this stuff happening in Germany or Italy . . . . I don't ever read about Airmen raping Japanese middle schoolers . . .

We're not psychologists.

the squid
02-19-2008, 15:37
We're not psychologists.

Roger.

02-19-2008, 15:50
Having managed large groups of people in the civilian world I have found that the population generally breaks out like this:
-95% of the group wants to understand the rules and how they apply to their behavior and what is good/bad behavior. If you give them the right tools, the right training and treat them like adults they generally will comply with the rules.
-3% of the group will be the fence sitters - if it's a poorly managed environment they will go to the dark side and will be problem children. If the environment is managed effectively, they will follow the rules, but need to be closely monitored. You can't cut members of this group any slack.
-2% of the group are problem children. They still think they're in High School and every day is "Mess with the Teacher" day. It is the leadership's responsiblity to identify these people and get them out of the organization ruthlessly and quickly before they polute the population.
Maybe the numbers are significantly different in a military organization, but my guess is that the above logic probably will make sense there as well. My .02