PDA

View Full Version : Use of the SF Insignia

the squid
02-16-2008, 10:33
QP's, if I'm out of my lane here or and posting this in the wrong area, than please let me know so I can roger up and move out.

As I understand it, use of the "De Opresso Liber" insignia is a strictly Special Forces thing, and this is why I scratched my head when I saw it on a the sign of a Signal Company here on Ft. Gordon, along with a bulldog in a smokey bear saying "PT is free" and another fierce looking bulldog.

I would think that doing something like that would be something to which they should know better. I mean, you guys live the saying and it seems like they're using it as a Company slogan.

Pete
02-16-2008, 10:47
...As I understand it, use of the "De Opresso Liber" insignia is a strictly Special Forces thing.....

"De Oppresso Liber" is on the Special Forces Unit Crest as seen at the top of the page. "Veritas et Libertas" is on the School House Crest.

Neither is trademarked by the Army but use by others with no conection to them would be at best cheesey - at least by me.

the squid
02-16-2008, 11:07
"De Opresso Liber" is on the Special Forces Unit Crest as seen at the top of the page. "Veritas et Libertas" is on the School House Crest.

Neither is trademarked by the Army but use by others with no conection to them would be at best cheesey - at least by me.

Roger, SGM.

tom kelly
02-16-2008, 13:46
"De Oppresso Liber" is on the Special Forces Unit Crest as seen at the top of the page. "Veritas et Libertas" is on the School House Crest.

I AGREE....tom kelly

Scimitar
02-16-2008, 13:54
Any reason why the SFA hasnt national registered them?

Scimitar

Team Sergeant
02-16-2008, 15:31
Any reason why the SFA hasnt national registered them?

Scimitar

Don't need to........ we all know who the quote belongs to....;)

One of the Special Forces Groups did in fact trademark their motto......

TS

swpa19
02-16-2008, 16:03
Now, im a VOFG. But, it would seem to me that using the Crest, Motto or anything else SF Specific for personal gain, could be considered a health hazard to the user JMHO though.

CMOIIIOPS
02-17-2008, 00:20
Information here may answer the question.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/

Since you are on a military installation AR would apply.

RJD

Mike
02-17-2008, 14:26
wtf does "roger up" mean?

Snaquebite
02-17-2008, 15:05
How about a picture?

the squid
02-17-2008, 17:01

I think I've heard the phrase used before here, and in I took it to mean "Move out and mind my own business."

If I look like a tool for using it the wrong way or using a phrase that doesn't even exist, then, thanks for letting me know so I don't have to look a tool anymore. :)

The Reaper
02-17-2008, 18:44

It means to acknowledge whatever is being referred to.

TR

x-factor
02-17-2008, 18:52
I've also heard it used to mean "voluntarily accept responsibility for," as in "TF 123 rogered up for the mission into X province of Z-istan." In the context of a motivational sign, I think that makes sense.

crash
02-17-2008, 23:45
I've noticed a few other units calling them selfs "Quiet Professionals" lately as well. Some of them being neither Quiet nor Professional. most recent.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=R2nl8TeRFzU
Now I try to stay feet dry so maybe they are? but I only think of SF when I think of QP's.

Razor
02-17-2008, 23:45
That signal company is just doing what everybody else seems to think is ok. Several years back, it seems the Warrant Officer Corps adopted the "Quiet Professional" moniker, along with all the other SOF components.