PDA

View Full Version : Language and group designation?

JacobGL
02-12-2008, 19:22
If a person was born in an eastern European country and spoke the native tongue, would he automatically be assigned to 10th group with a focus on an area language like polish? Or could you request Arabic, Persian, something that may be of more use in this current geopolitical climate?

Bobcat
02-12-2008, 19:33
The search button is your friend. This has been covered extensively here.

JacobGL
02-12-2008, 19:42
tried it, i may have been a bit too specific. would you mind giving me some advice as to where or how to find this info.

Eagle5US
02-12-2008, 19:45
try broadening your search terms...
"cast a wider net" so to speak.

Eagle

Bobcat
02-12-2008, 19:45
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12238&highlight=group+assignment

JacobGL
02-12-2008, 19:58
thanks guys... and yes, 39% yankee.;)

Peregrino
02-12-2008, 20:07
Rhetorical questions aren't a good way to attract attention. Do you intend to enlist in the Army with the goal of going SF? If so you've got a lot of other things to worry about before assignment to a Group becomes an issue. Like US Citizenship and security clearances. (The search button answers those questions too.) Concentrate on immediate goals/requirements first (the "25 meter target").

JacobGL
02-14-2008, 09:17
Rhetorical questions aren't a good way to attract attention. Do you intend to enlist in the Army with the goal of going SF? If so you've got a lot of other things to worry about before assignment to a Group becomes an issue. Like US Citizenship and security clearances. (The search button answers those questions too.) Concentrate on immediate goals/requirements first (the "25 meter target").

With all due respect Sir... "rhetorical"? you must have meant hypothetical. In regard to your question about my enlistment, citizenship, and security clearance, I would feel more comfortable answering those through the "private message" board.

I am focusing on the 25 meter mark; a focus on pt, rucking, land nav ed, etc. But, I am able too, simultaneously, devote another more inquisitive part of my mind to general army policy.

thank you,
QP Peregrino

warrottjr
02-14-2008, 09:43
If a person was born in an eastern European country and spoke the native tongue, would he automatically be assigned to 10th group with a focus on an area language like polish? Or could you request Arabic, Persian, something that may be of more use in this current geopolitical climate?

I'm not an 18-anything, so I have no inside information about SF language assignments.

But I do have 14 years in personnel, which is the proponent agency for recruiting, and do recommend that you get any personal preferences documented in writing on your enlistment contract before you sign. Let your recruiter do the leg work.

I started out as a company clerk, and part of my job was to process AIT orders for BCT graduates.

There was a lot of weaping and wailing and gnashing of teeth among those who didn't get their recruiter's promises in writing, and there were a lot of happy campers that did.

Pete
02-14-2008, 09:51
With all due respect Sir... "rhetorical"? you must have meant hypothetical. ......

Either or - the military does not consider you to speak a language unless it is on your records. To do that you need to be tested, pass the test and then have it put in your records.

Until then it's all hypothetical.

warrottjr
02-14-2008, 11:07
Either or - the military does not consider you to speak a language unless it is on your records. To do that you need to be tested, pass the test and then have it put in your records.

Until then it's all hypothetical.

Pete is spot on.

But you may be able to negotiate with your recruiter to be tested before enlistment and have your language proficiency designated as a "civilian acquired skill." The Army is anxious to find skilled personnel that don't cost any money to train.

I got a direct warrant and PMOS based on a CAS.

JacobGL
02-14-2008, 13:00
Thanks you for the help guys. My thought was that since I have some time before I ship, I should fine tune my Russian. My recruiter told me its really of no use since I will have very little say in that area anyway. But, I asked you all to have a second opinion.

Thank you all.

Jacob