PDA

View Full Version : Wasatch

Hoplite
05-08-2004, 15:22
Here is my rig so far. I am still adding items, usually after I realize something required is missing

Anyone else have one?
hmm. remote linking not working.

Hoplite
05-08-2004, 15:29
pic 1.

Hoplite
05-08-2004, 15:30
w/carbine

Ghostrider
05-08-2004, 17:27
Originally posted by Hoplite
Here is my rig so far. I am still adding items, usually after I realize something required is missing

Anyone else have one?
hmm. remote linking not working.

Yes, MORE AMMO! Good start though....is that an eggroll made FUGLY III? Oh and nice blaster. :)

Hoplite
05-08-2004, 18:37
fugly mk3!
damn hes fast. He made it sound in the email like it would be made by the end of the week. I got it within 4 days of paying him. Thats amazing service in my book

Smokin Joe
05-11-2004, 17:55
Yes Hoplite I have one. I will post a pic in a few.

Smokin Joe
05-11-2004, 19:06
My Wasatch

Note: I had Gene put strips of channels instead of standard PALS or MOLLE channels this way any gear will adapt and fit to it.

Sorry for the poor quality I will try and get some better ones for you later.

Smokin Joe
05-11-2004, 19:10
This is my current setup b/c I found that I carried TOO much stuff with the wasatch.

Its a Blackhawk Commando Chest rig (I know I know Reaper it won't happen again) w/ Tactical Tailor mag pouches, shell holder and GPS pouch.

Psywar1-0
05-12-2004, 21:44
Hop,

If you are still on for the driving gig I would have to say that this rig is not for you. Wearing it over Body armor fully loaded will not allow you to fit in the drivers seat.

Best thing to do is:

Carry only 6 M4 mags in it.
Dont carry a smoke
attach a pistol holster to it, either the Paraclete Taco or (forgive me but I really like this one) the Blackhawk pouch that can carry either 2 M4 mags or a M9 Pistol.

I added BQM Alice pack stap pads to mine. Fully loaded with both front and back plates I felt like balloon man(obscure Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians reference) and found it was horrible for patrolling, and the rig made driving a Land Cruiser type vehicle impossible.

Hoplite
05-17-2004, 16:45
It was very tight in an m998 and a bit trouble some unless I Was in the back or in the turret. I think I may pick up a different chest rig if I get stuck behind the wheel. I realize it will be a bit rougher if I am in a different vehicle.
Also drop leg holsters suck in a vehicle. Great outside but not too pleased with it. IT can be done but its rough grabbing the pistol.
Outside of the vehicle I was very impressed with the Wasatch and the Safariland 6004. I Was carrying 10 mags in the rig and no pyro.
I also took the plates out of the IBA and into the Wasatch. I wasnt really a big fan of it. The rig is still kind of loose even with the straps sinched down if I am not using the IBA with it. I may pick up a different armor vest and plate and try that
Originally posted by Psywar1-0
Hop,

If you are still on for the driving gig I would have to say that this rig is not for you. Wearing it over Body armor fully loaded will not allow you to fit in the drivers seat.

Best thing to do is:

Carry only 6 M4 mags in it.
Dont carry a smoke
attach a pistol holster to it, either the Paraclete Taco or (forgive me but I really like this one) the Blackhawk pouch that can carry either 2 M4 mags or a M9 Pistol.

I added BQM Alice pack stap pads to mine. Fully loaded with both front and back plates I felt like balloon man(obscure Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians reference) and found it was horrible for patrolling, and the rig made driving a Land Cruiser type vehicle impossible.

eggroll
05-18-2004, 17:35
Heres my wasatch

Surgicalcric
05-18-2004, 17:44
Nice legs. :D

MtnGoat
07-16-2006, 13:55
Okay looking to get one of the following carriers:

Wasatch or Weesatch by HSGI (http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/products.asp?cat=13) found a good review on MM.com, LF.com and other sites.

The biggest difference between them is mag count 8 to 12. Reading other site on reviews it seems that the Wasatch can get a bit overloaded and bulky.

The other Carrier is the Callahan (http://www.specialforces.com/store/catalog/product_26224_Callahan_Convertible_Plate_Carrier_S ystem.html) Convertible Plate Carrier System cost is up there. But from reading reviews again looks like a good set-up becuase you can break it down to just a plate carrier if needed.

I like the HSGI for the MultiCam patterns they carry, great stuff IMO. Good gear, bought stuff from Gene before, great sales side.

What I'm looking to see is which one works best for Dismounted, Mounted (HUMVV, HI-LUX, SUV driving) problems with HELO Seats and FRIES/SPIES OPS.

I want something that is small, but you can add-on as the mission needs. I carry a backpack with re-load MAG,FRAGs, ETC. So I know the fact on the No HELO you carry what you'll need for a 24 Hr period. Looking for something to get so daily drives in SUV, HUMVEEs along with a dimounted DA Urban mission needs.

My basic planned set up is 4ea 9mm and 2-4ea FRAG Pouches along with a MBITER pouch. Rear side will be an 100ml Camelbak pouch and Blow out Medical pouch.

If you have any of the following carriers, let me know what you like about them. PM if OPSEC is needed.

Thanks

Hoplite
07-16-2006, 19:10
funny this was bumped...
I would up ditching the Wasatch after about 6 weeks in country. It was too damn big like Psywar mentioned. I was also having issues keeping it tight and i was no small guy being 5'11 and near 230 pounds.
I spoke to Richard lee at sotech and he shipped me a callahan out asap which ii received in about 9 days. Later on they upgraded the callahan due to a sagging issue and he sent me the new parts (basically the hell cat portion) free of charge and it arrived in 7 days. I was extremely happy with this rig, very comfortable with the plates in and a concealable level 3 vest under my blouse.
I had a ton of mags on it, probably too many (6 in the hell cat portion and 6 in an eggroll 6 pack up on the top of the plate carrier), 3 flash bangs, 2 frags, 2 m9 mags, ifak and an mbitr pouch attached at various places around the rig.
It was a winner for me and fit perfectly, even after i dropped about 20 pounds.
I havent tried the weesatch so I can not comment on it.
I wasnt doing any DA or helo insertions but did fly around in hawks. it wasnt overly bulky in the crammed seats of a blackhawk. Vehicles I used were m1114, armored suburban and armored tahoes. Mostly I was behond the wheel and the rig was just right and not brushing up against the steering wheel like the wasatch did.
Okay looking to get one of the following carriers:

Wasatch or Weesatch by HSGI (http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/products.asp?cat=13) found a good review on MM.com, LF.com and other sites.

The biggest difference between them is mag count 8 to 12. Reading other site on reviews it seems that the Wasatch can get a bit overloaded and bulky.

The other Carrier is the Callahan (http://www.specialforces.com/store/catalog/product_26224_Callahan_Convertible_Plate_Carrier_S ystem.html) Convertible Plate Carrier System cost is up there. But from reading reviews again looks like a good set-up becuase you can break it down to just a plate carrier if needed.

I like the HSGI for the MultiCam patterns they carry, great stuff IMO. Good gear, bought stuff from Gene before, great sales side.

What I'm looking to see is which one works best for Dismounted, Mounted (HUMVV, HI-LUX, SUV driving) problems with HELO Seats and FRIES/SPIES OPS.

I want something that is small, but you can add-on as the mission needs. I carry a backpack with re-load MAG,FRAGs, ETC. So I know the fact on the No HELO you carry what you'll need for a 24 Hr period. Looking for something to get so daily drives in SUV, HUMVEEs along with a dimounted DA Urban mission needs.

My basic planned set up is 4ea 9mm and 2-4ea FRAG Pouches along with a MBITER pouch. Rear side will be an 100ml Camelbak pouch and Blow out Medical pouch.

If you have any of the following carriers, let me know what you like about them. PM if OPSEC is needed.

Thanks

Hoplite
07-16-2006, 19:12
i forgot to add that the callahan has a sort of hidden pocket behind the mags which is good for stuff you might need but dont need fast access to. i had a vs17, signal mirror, and various glow sticks in there

MtnGoat
07-17-2006, 04:22
Hoplite & Azmg Thanks

Hoplite, just what I'm looking for. U have to buy the gear or have someone use it for you. Thanks for the input. It will help.

Surgicalcric
07-17-2006, 16:17
MtnGoat:

Not to muddy the waters, but Tactical Assault Gear here in town has a chest rig that resembles the SOTECH Falcon (holds 6 internal mags and has hydration carrier). I think its priced around 185.00... It is a good looking rig IMO, however I have obviously not used one. It doesnt come in MC, but they do have CB, OD, TAN, and Ranger Green.

The store is conveniently located beside Hooters on McPherson Church...

Crip

MtnGoat
07-17-2006, 19:19
MtnGoat:

Not to muddy the waters, but Tactical Assault Gear here in town has a chest rig that resembles the SOTECH Falcon (holds 6 internal mags and has hydration carrier). I think its priced around 185.00... It is a good looking rig IMO, however I have obviously not used one. It doesnt come in MC, but they do have CB, OD, TAN, and Ranger Green.

The store is conveniently located beside Hooters on McPherson Church
CRIP

Thanks, just picked up some Magpul Magazines puller grips and a couple of other items from the TAG store here. I'll have to stop by this week to check out that vest.

I like the MC, but I'll take CB or RG too.

MtnGoat
07-17-2006, 20:16
funny this was bumped...
I would up ditching the Wasatch after about 6 weeks in country. It was too damn big like Psywar mentioned. I was also having issues keeping it tight and i was no small guy being 5'11 and near 230 pounds.
I spoke to Richard lee at sotech and he shipped me a callahan out asap which ii received in about 9 days. Later on they upgraded the callahan due to a sagging issue and he sent me the new parts (basically the hell cat portion) free of charge and it arrived in 7 days. I was extremely happy with this rig, very comfortable with the plates in and a concealable level 3 vest under my blouse.
I had a ton of mags on it, probably too many (6 in the hell cat portion and 6 in an eggroll 6 pack up on the top of the plate carrier), 3 flash bangs, 2 frags, 2 m9 mags, ifak and an mbitr pouch attached at various places around the rig.
It was a winner for me and fit perfectly, even after i dropped about 20 pounds.
I havent tried the weesatch so I can not comment on it.
I wasnt doing any DA or helo insertions but did fly around in hawks. it wasnt overly bulky in the crammed seats of a blackhawk. Vehicles I used were m1114, armored suburban and armored tahoes. Mostly I was behond the wheel and the rig was just right and not brushing up against the steering wheel like the wasatch did.
HOP

With the Callahan- I read that the sewing was poor in some areas. MOLLE loops breaking or something along those lines. Did you have any issues in that areas or any of the Quality of the Vest?

Reading up on the callahan; how well did the HellCat portion work as a add-on? Meaning, did it fit well? Did the HellCat side around on the plate carrier? DId you add-on any M67, smoke, or 9mm pouches to the front of the HellCat portion? Like I said, I like the Callahan, for the cost it works for me so far.

Wasatch seems to be to bulkie and doesn't "ride" well when loaded up.

Leading toward the Callahan so far.

Hoplite
07-17-2006, 20:38
HOP

With the Callahan- I read that the sewing was poor in some areas. MOLLE loops breaking or something along those lines. Did you have any issues in that areas or any of the Quality of the Vest?

Reading up on the callahan; how well did the HellCat portion work as a add-on? Meaning, did it fit well? Did the HellCat slide around on the plate carrier? DId you add-on any M67, smoke, or 9mm pouches to the front of the HellCat portion? Like I said, I like the Callahan, for the cost it works for me so far.

Wasatch seems to be to bulkie and doesn't "ride" well when loaded up.

Leading toward the Callahan so far.mbitr and med kit were on the back. m67 pouch, 3 bang (front on the sides), eggrol fugly/6 pack on the front top as high as i could go. i have to take a pic or dig one up on my other computer. i had the ptt up on my left breast area.
no issues with the loops breaking off, sewing looked top quality and again, nothing broke or ripped. Pouches caught on stuff while moving and nothing ripped off or broke free.
initially the rig sagged with the pouches and mags on the hell cat portion but they upgraded the design with a snap to keep the internal pocket from staying open/sagging.
the hell cat portion is held onto the plate carrier by malice clips weaving the molle loops on both pieces of gear together. i want to say there were 4 malice clips, but will have to double check. its a pretty sturdy setup
agree with the wasatch being too bulky and it shifted around a lot. the callahan stayed anchored in place once it was buckled save for "normal" allowances for movement.

Hoplite
07-17-2006, 20:55
here are two pics i took of the rig for someone a while back to show the upgraded helcat portion. i wish this thing came earlier than 1 month before i left baghdad.

MtnGoat
07-17-2006, 20:59
mbitr and med kit were on the back. m67 pouch, 3 bang (front on the sides), eggrol fugly/6 pack on the front top as high as i could go. i have to take a pic or dig one up on my other computer. i had the ptt up on my left breast area.
no issues with the loops breaking off, sewing looked top quality and again, nothing broke or ripped. Pouches caught on stuff while moving and nothing ripped off or broke free.
initially the rig sagged with the pouches and mags on the hell cat portion but they upgraded the design with a snap to keep the internal pocket from staying open/sagging.
the hell cat portion is held onto the plate carrier by malice clips weaving the molle loops on both pieces of gear together. i want to say there were 4 malice clips, but will have to double check. its a pretty sturdy setup
agree with the wasatch being too bulky and it shifted around a lot. the callahan stayed anchored in place once it was buckled save for "normal" allowances for movement.
HOPIE

Thanks for the info...

Could MBITR fit into trhe side pockets like the site states? I have a PPM MBITR pouch, but just wondering on that statement. I like a radio on my side so I can change the channels as needed. Back side you can't do it yourself.

GTG on the MALICE Clip info holding the Hell Cat rig to the carrier. Thanks.

Now Hell or Tom Cat?? Which one to get?? :p

Thanks for the PIX

Hoplite
07-17-2006, 21:05
HOPIE

Thanks for the info...

Could MBITR fit into trhe side pockets like the site states? I have a PPM MBITR pouch, but just wondering on that statement. I like a radio on my side so I can change the channels as needed. Back side you can't do it yourself.

GTG on the MALICE Clip info holding the Hell Cat rig to the carrier. Thanks.

Now Hell or Tom Cat?? Which one to get?? :p

Thanks for the PIX
we were only using basically 4 channels so i just memorized the clicks. hell, depending on which general i was working for we also used motorla 5000. side pockets? i have to double check the rig. last thing i remember on either side was the last mag, no more openings. i know the mbitr wouldnt fit in a mag holder on the callahan, maybe with the tommy rig, but ive never seen one. the mbitr pouch i had was brandless

MtnGoat
07-30-2006, 11:10
Got my Callahan Convertible (http://www.specialforces.com/store/catalog/product_26224_Callahan_Convertible_Plate_Carrier_S ystem.html) Plate Carrier this Sat. Loving the Callahan, as a Plate carrier it's the dizzle-bomb, Shit-nz!

Review and PIX to come next week.

Hoplite,

How does the MM dump pouch work for your on the Carrier? Looking at getting on of them or a EGL Luppy XL. Looking at putting it (Dump Pouch) on my 1st Line Belt.

Fiercely Loyal
07-07-2007, 20:41
To start out my deployment I used the Wasatch. My plates were pulled out of the IBA and I made my IBA into a side opening vest. The belt that holds the front and back panels in place was folding in strange ways and wouldn’t really give the proper support. I chopped a Blackhawk holster and used the thick long Cordura from the drop leg portion to attach to the belt making it very user friendly. Then I just put one magazine in each slot carrying 8 magazines while driving (this was very flat and didn’t interfere with driving).

After a while I wanted a better option because of my IFAK. It was mounted in the kidney area on my IBA. I was also issued a shotgun. The IFAK had to be moved to let the shotgun just hang on my right side. I ordered the Woosatch (all webbing front). I used three of the issued double magazine pouches and centered in the front. My IFAK was to the right of them. Shotgun ammo was placed on the upper chest originally but taken off completely when I switched to the Wasatch. By moving the IFAK, my shotgun lay along my side out of the way when I was dismounted.

Soon we were issued the side SAPI’s and I had to modify the front panel to hold these in addition to the front plate. I did this by using ACU material from the side SAPI carriers that were issued and the sewing machine from the tent repair shop on camp. It was very comfortable. Recently I have taken the padded belt from the issued Rifleman’s kit to make a belt that can hold more gear on the sides and is also removable. It just buckles into place in the same direction the original belt does.

Now my rig is set up for Safariland holster, Strider fixed blade w/ multi tool, attached 6 magazines for primary, 4 magazines for secondary, and NVG/Utility pouch on the front panel. MBTR, Blow out kit, and Hydration pouch on the back panel. Frag pouches are on the additional belt I had made. Another great thing about this plate carrier is the internal pockets. I placed a piece of VS-17 panel, protractor, and 9 line Medivac cheat sheet inside.

I really swear by this rig because of the comfort factor. I like the ability to consolidate my kit so I wasn’t putting on 50 items of kit. The only thing I wish I had in conjunction with this setup is either a concealable vest or a carrier that used the IBA panels to make a better 2 piece carrier. Unfortunately I had to use the IBA carrier because of the unit I am in. I was barely getting away with using a plate carrier.

IMHO if you are going to go with a carrier, Gene (the owner of HSGI) makes a great product. If the Wasatch isn’t working out I highly recommend the Woosatch. Gene’s shop has excellent customer service and a lightning fast delivery time.

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/bfelts1ak/?action=view&current=kitpics018.jpg
My kit

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/bfelts1ak/?action=view&current=kitpics009.jpg
The side SAPI modification