PDA

View Full Version : Nasal ketamine!

SwedeGlocker
05-08-2004, 01:31
Is there anyone that have any information about "Evalution of nasal ketamine for pain control" studies currently ongoing?

If you have please send me a PM

DoctorDoom
05-10-2004, 22:53
x

DoctorDoom
05-11-2004, 14:54
x

SwedeGlocker
05-17-2004, 12:05
Before this is turn to a flame war:

1. Ketamine is used by several SF units around the globe.
2. I am not intersted in any recreational use
3. As i posted before please send me a PM if you have any info.

Surgicalcric
05-17-2004, 13:41
SG:

Take a deep breath and relax a bit. Doc Doom was just jerking your chain. Its SOP on this forum to be razzed from time to time.

If this was going to turn into a 'flame war' I am sure it would have already.

OT: I have never heard of Ketamine being given nasally prior to your post. Seems like it would be harder to store than the lollipops.

Sacamuelas
05-17-2004, 15:02
We would ALL appreciate no flaming to occur in this thread.

SG-
I do not have any specific info to help you. Someone may be along that can provide you with the info you seek. As already stated, there is research ongoing in the US dealing with your thread topic. Is your request for use in a military application or for civilian applications?

On the Civilian side-
Most of the older research I have found deals with pediatric intranasal administration of ketamine in the US. Google is your friend on finding those articles.

Currently, a variety of drugs are being evaluated for transnasal drug delivery. Nasal ketamine has also been tried and is effective. Transnasal buprenorphine, Stadol, and other opioids are also being considered.

Clearly, clinicians have an interest in the transnasal application of drugs. However, there are issues that need to be studied. How does a cold or an atmospheric condition like the humidity affect the speed of the mucosal flow and absorption? What is the ideal drug concentration? What is the ideal pH of drugs for transnasal approaches? To my knowledge, much of this work remains to be done.

FWIW, Oral or buccal transmucosal delivery is another potentially important transmucosal technique. The buccal cavity is also highly vascularized and moist; the epithelium is very thin, and there is an enormous surface area for drug absorption. Many drugs are approved by the FDA for buccal or sublingual absorption. Not many of them are anesthetics, and not many of them find use in the operating room. Obviously, nitroglycerin does have a potential use in the operating room. One company is working on buprenorphine as a transbuccal patch, and there are now patches that will stick on wet surfaces and transmit their drug through the mucosa of the mouth.

Good luck

DoctorDoom
06-03-2004, 05:30
x