PDA

View Full Version : Petition on behalf of MAJ Richard D. Winters

jbour13
01-27-2008, 15:42
Ladies and Gents MAJ Richard "Dick" Winters (Band of Brothers) turned 90 on Jan 21st. There is a petition to upgrade his DSC to the CMOH. I found this at Blackfive and the link to the petition is here.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Winters/petition.html

If you believe this humble and deserving man should receive the CMOH then please petition. He is in his twilight years and this medal is not only a representation of his character, but that of his men. It means more to him that his men receive the accolades that are due to them and all of that "Greatest Generation" than himself.

Mods/Admins: If you feel that this is an inappropriate place to post or inappropriate, please remove.

V/R

SSG B

Gypsy
01-27-2008, 18:03
Thanks for the heads up.

grog18b
01-28-2008, 07:21
Anything for a Brother from PA. GROG

Red Flag 1
01-28-2008, 09:30
Just signed...25,884 signatures so far.

RF 1

hoot72
01-28-2008, 10:13
Done! 25892 Signatures thus far...!

jbour13
03-15-2008, 09:23
Friendly bump. We are just shy of 27,000.

Red Flag 1
03-15-2008, 09:26
Is there a requird number to shoot for?

RF 1

jbour13
03-15-2008, 09:29
Is there a requird number to shoot for?

RF 1

I've emailed the author of the petition, and haven't recieved word yet. My fears is that this is going to lose steam and may not get to the right people.

Anyone have a recommendation, please let me know.

I came into this petition around 1 1/2 months ago, at 25K, and it's significantly slowed.

I'll keep plugging away.

enterfirst
03-15-2008, 09:30
#26996.

SFS0AVN
03-15-2008, 09:48
27,000, but more wouldn't hurt.
He would have gotten the MOH but the CO of his Division said no MOH's for the 101st.

sleepyhead4
03-15-2008, 09:58
I just made it 27001. Hopefully, my signature is the one that counts...j/k.

SF18C
03-15-2008, 10:13
27004 Signatures Total

Ambush Master
03-15-2008, 10:14
#27003 for me.

I met Ed "Doc" Pepping, one of the Band of Brothers, at SHOT Show!! He even commended me for the CIB on my cap!! He was wearing his Uniform, with Corporal Stripes, he was amazing.

Take care.
Martin

Red Flag 1
03-15-2008, 10:19
jbour,

Since this is the Congressional Medal of Honor, has anyone spoken to congress? It could be that the petition is a requirement from Congress, I don't know but will take a hard look unless someone else has. Who are "the people" we need to get to???

Another ally might be The US Military Academy at West Point. For a time USMA taught cadets using Dick Winters tactics; hell they may still be.

If you need some help, let me know. I believe Dick Winters earned the CMOH!!

RF 1

jbour13
03-15-2008, 10:29
jbour,

Since this is the Congressional Medal of Honor, has anyone spoken to congress? It could be that the petition is a requirement from Congress, I don't know but will take a hard look unless someone else has. Who are "the people" we need to get to???

Another ally might be The US Military Academy at West Point. For a time USMA taught cadets using Dick Winters tactics; hell they may still be.

If you need some help, let me know. I believe Dick Winters earned the CMOH!!

RF 1

I've sent another e-mail today after I bumped it to the petiotiononline folks. I hope they can wrangle the originator and see what we can do.

As far as numbers and what congress does, I am really unsure. I'll research it and see what I can dig up.

Anyone know a good media person to pitch this to?? I'm thinking of contacting the Fayetteville Observer and the Paraglide on this one and see if they'll run a spotlight piece on it. Does anyone have a reliable contact?

I really appreciate the help and everyones concern in this, I'm not the original thought to this, feel a bit ashamed, but I want to see this hit the big time and gain some traction. I have no issues with anonymity as the subject is MAJ Winters and the brave men he commanded, just prefacing the intent.

Well guys, I ask that anyone that can help, please do what you can. Post your results and lets see what a collective effort will do. :lifter

Red Flag 1
03-15-2008, 10:56
jbour,

I'll call Don Lassen next week and see what ideas he may have. I've not seen anything mentioned In the Static Line this last year. He might be able to get a little more push going, from the 101st in particular. If nothing else get a short article out in the monthly pub.

Tons of folks have seen the very well done Band Of Brothers. I would bet not many know of this effort. Lets see if we can't tighten this up a bit and just get'er done.

RF 1

RAVEN_DUST
03-16-2008, 04:27
#27,038 He should receive this honor.

Defion69
03-16-2008, 06:48
jbour13,

The US Army PERSCOM, Military Awards Branch would be the body to process such a request on behalf of the Secretary of the Army.

I think a viable channel would be to contact the state representatives for PA (http://specter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm) to push this effort so that the good senator can formerly request a review to the Sec. of the Army.

Do you know if that route has been considered or looked at as a process?

Take care

jbour13
03-16-2008, 07:15
jbour13,

The US Army PERSCOM, Military Awards Branch would be the body to process such a request on behalf of the Secretary of the Army.

I think a viable channel would be to contact the state representatives for PA (http://specter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm) to push this effort so that the good senator can formerly request a review to the Sec. of the Army.

Do you know if that route has been considered or looked at as a process?

Take care

Still as of today I've got nothing in regards to this whole petition. That's why I'm jumping all over this. Seems like someone had a good idea fairy flapping over their heads and just did it.

Thanks for the info. I'll be out this week and will definately take a better look.

Sparky
03-17-2008, 01:42

Paste Eater
03-17-2008, 16:48
I read the book "Biggest Brother" not long ago. I can't remember specifically, but someone stated in that book, that the 101st would only be allowed a single Medal of Honor during the D-Day invasion. Of course Robert Cole won the award for his actions during D-Day, leading a bayonette charge.

As I read it, the only reason Mr. Winters didn't get the MoH was because of Cole's actions and the 101st only be allowed to award one. If that says anything.

EX-Gold Falcon
03-17-2008, 18:03
Makes you wonder how many other deserving service members are out there and still awaiting their rightful recognition....

Travis

PepperDog
03-17-2008, 18:30

sofmed
03-17-2008, 18:56
Done! 27078.

Wishing you the best!

Mick

OldRGR
03-18-2008, 11:21
Well deserved for an excellent soldier and officer!

OldRGR
03-18-2008, 11:22
I almost forgot, I am #27091.

The Canadian
03-19-2008, 05:50

SearingWind
03-19-2008, 10:40

Red Flag 1
03-19-2008, 12:07
jbour,

Spoke with Don Lassen of "Static Line" just a few minutes ago. Don is unaware of any move or effort for Dick Winters. He did relate that he thought there were several such efforts for other soldiers. His suggestion was to push through with a member of congress. He did suggest a letter to him that he could publish in the next newsletter. Static Line address is:
Don Lassen
BOX 87518
College Park, GA 30337-0518

The more we sent, the greater the impact on this Airborne publication.

It just so happens, I have a congressman up for re-election here in the Shen Valley. Call has been made; awaiting response. It seems there are the required signatures. I'd like to know who started this, where do they stand in the effort, and what can we do to help????

RF 1

Aoresteen
03-19-2008, 15:42

This will require a law change by Congress. CMOH must be awarded within 3 years of the event.

Master Sgt. Woodrow Wilson Keeble needed an act of Congress to get his CMOH from the Korean War. It can be done but it won't be easy.

Red Flag 1
03-19-2008, 16:07
Aoresteen,

That is what Don Lassen suggested as well.

The Reaper
03-19-2008, 18:00
The MoH nomination is also for a single conspicuously distinguished valorous event, not for a campaign, or for being an outstanding commander.

"The Medal of Honor, established by joint resolution of Congress, July 12, 1862, (amended by Act of July 9, 1918, and Act of July 25, 1963) is awarded in the name of Congress to a person, who, while a member of the armed forces, distinguishes himself or herself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against any enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

The deed must have been one of personal bravery or self-sacrifice, an action that conspicuously distinguished the individual above his comrades. Incontestable proof of the performance of service is exacted and the recommendation for award of this decoration is considered on the standard of extraordinary merit. Eligibility is limited to members of the armed forces of the United States in active military service."

I understand that MAJ Winters was a brave man, a great American, looked after his people, and selflessly led them through some incredible action.

What is the single event meeting these criteria that he being recommended for?

TR

Red Flag 1
03-19-2008, 20:05
TR,

At the moment, all we know is that a petition is out there with some 27118 or so signers. As you said, there is no deed mentioned . There is no singular event I've seen mentioned to date. Still looking into how this got started.

Thanks TR!

RF 1

Sdiver
03-23-2008, 11:02
The MoH nomination is also for a single conspicuously distinguished valorous event, not for a campaign, or for being an outstanding commander.

"The Medal of Honor, established by joint resolution of Congress, July 12, 1862, (amended by Act of July 9, 1918, and Act of July 25, 1963) is awarded in the name of Congress to a person, who, while a member of the armed forces, distinguishes himself or herself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against any enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

The deed must have been one of personal bravery or self-sacrifice, an action that conspicuously distinguished the individual above his comrades. Incontestable proof of the performance of service is exacted and the recommendation for award of this decoration is considered on the standard of extraordinary merit. Eligibility is limited to members of the armed forces of the United States in active military service."

I understand that MAJ Winters was a brave man, a great American, looked after his people, and selflessly led them through some incredible action.

What is the single event meeting these criteria that he being recommended for?

TR

TR,

At the moment, all we know is that a petition is out there with some 27118 or so signers. As you said, there is no deed mentioned . There is no singular event I've seen mentioned to date. Still looking into how this got started.

Thanks TR!

RF 1

Apparently it was for his actions at the The Brecourt Manor Assault.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%A9court_Manor_Assault

Colonel Robert Sink, the commander of the 506th PIR, recommended Winters for the Medal of Honor, but the award was downgraded to the Distinguished Service Cross due to the policy of only one Medal of Honor awarded per division which was awarded to Lieutenant Colonel Robert G. Cole.

VVVV
03-23-2008, 15:18

This will require a law change by Congress. CMOH must be awarded within 3 years of the event.

Master Sgt. Woodrow Wilson Keeble needed an act of Congress to get his CMOH from the Korean War. It can be done but it won't be easy.

Roy Benavidez
was awarded the MOH on 24 Feb 1981 by President Reagan for his actions in the RVN on 2 May 1968.

Rocky Versace was posthumously awarded the MOH on 8 Jul 2002 By President Bush for his actions (29 Oct 63 - 26 Sep 1965) in the RVN.

BTW, it's the MOH not CMOH.