PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you retire or ETS? Employment opportunity.

JGarcia
01-24-2008, 10:26
I've done well for myself here, my boss's boss is happy with my performance and is eager to hire more grunts like me.

Employment opportunity.

If you are no longer on active duty, or are about to ETS here shortly and would like to continue working for the government earning almost nothing humping a rucksack, operating small motorized watercraft, driving ATV’s, doing long hours of land nav, and just being in the woods I have a job for the right guys. We use high end GPS to accurately establish boundaries and monuments. From January to March we don’t do too much, sit in the office, fix broken stuff, order supplies, do project analysis (prep work) for work projects that run April through December.

I work for a government agency that does surveying in the backwoods and mountains of northern California (Ukiah or Sacramento northwards to the Oregon border, east to Nevada and west to the coast).

If you want to work in this region I can help you get on board. If you want to work in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, or New Mexico, I can tell you how to get on board, but whether or not you do is up to you – grunts have a great chance to succeed and in my opinion are perfectly suited for this work. The starting pay depends on your years of active military service but can be as low as the GS 4 level for someone with one or two enlistments behind them. If you have more active service time you will start out commensurate to your years of service. You can advance rapidly, it tops out at GS 11, (GS 12 if you’ve got a degree/license.)

We work 4/10’s (three days off per week) lots of per diem/travel pay. Vacation and sick pay, TSP, union, health care, vision, dental. Lots of training opportunities too.

You will get sick of driving ATV’s, you will get your fill of being alone in the mountains, you will see lots of wildlife, you will find the best places to hunt, fish, and camp, you will get some sun on your face, you will get stung by bees, and battle poison oak occasionally, sometimes we ride in helicopters, plenty of oppourtunity to use your head to creatively solve problems.

But you need to be in rucking shape; we don’t hump far in 8 hours, but we do a lot of brush clearing and sometimes a little digging. It gets mighty hot here, very, very dry heat. Ask lksteve what he thinks about the profession. This is a good opportunity if you're interested.

This job is very, very, physically challenging. If you need that in your life, this might be a great job for you. You don't deal with people very much at all though, it's a very small tight nit community.